Talk

Advanced search

Benefit fraud?

(12 Posts)
helpnotsosure Mon 23-Apr-18 19:11:44

Ok so I have saw a lot of these posts lately so I'm sorry if you're sick of them but...

I have a friend who lives with her son, she claims benefits as a single parent and lives in a HA house. She has tried to get a job but no luck as of yet.

She has a partner (her sons father). He, however, doesn't live with her and lives with a family member instead. He was working until about a year ago when he was made redundant so now claims JSA. As far as I can see, it's also trying very hard for a job. He doesn't support his son financially as he receives little money.

They see each other everyday, spend a lot of time together etc.

Is she committing benefit fraud or not? She is claiming as a single parent though technically she isn't, but financially she is if that makes sense?

I don't think I could continue to be friends with someone who was knowingly cheating the system but I don't want to make any irrational decisions if I have my wires crossed. Thanks.

Since she is

helpnotsosure Mon 23-Apr-18 19:12:15

Ignore "since she is" not sure why that's there confused

SlurplePurple Mon 23-Apr-18 19:13:19

No if he isn’t contributing financially to her household she is doing nothing wrong.

whatnextfred Mon 23-Apr-18 19:13:20

She's not breaking any law or committing any fraud

MotherforkingShirtballs Mon 23-Apr-18 19:14:05

They're not living together, they have seperate households and seperate finances, of course she can claim as a single person. Spending time together is irrelevant, they have a child together and it's probably good for him that they get along.

Phosphorus Mon 23-Apr-18 19:14:30

They are not doing anything remotely fraudulent.

You sound rather unpleasant.

Unless this is a reverse, in which case you are just dull and patronising.

dementedpixie Mon 23-Apr-18 19:16:49

If they aren't living together and he isn't helping financially why on earth would you think they were committing benefit fraud??!!

OurMiracle1106 Mon 23-Apr-18 19:17:23

Nope. For benefit purposes you are a single person unless you are living with your partner: doesn’t matter how much time you spend together, how many kids you have together or whether you are “in a relationship”

Smeddum Mon 23-Apr-18 19:19:11

Lone parent doesn’t mean no relationship, it means the claimant is living alone (with child/children) and not in a relationship with another adult who is financially contributing to the household. The situation you describe isn’t benefit fraud.

DannyLaRuesBestFrock Mon 23-Apr-18 19:24:53

So if you are claiming single person benefits, you are not allowed to date anyone. Ever. FPMSL. Are you for real?

Mookie81 Mon 23-Apr-18 19:26:35

Just f off.
Sick to death of these snide bullying threads.
People need to mind their own bloody business.

bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 23-Apr-18 19:28:15

Actually as the father he could be "contributing" financially in child maintenance and that would still not mean she was committing benefit fraud - child maintenance is disregarded for means tested benefits. As previously stated you can have a relationship, the key issue is if the father is living with them and has no other home - in this case it seems clear he is maintaining a separate residence. Hope that clears it up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: