Talk

Advanced search

to think it's weird to not do anything while the kettle boils....

(49 Posts)
unicornfarts Mon 23-Apr-18 16:07:02

If OH is making a cuppa he'll literally stand next to the kettle while it boils, stand watching the tea brew etc, while I on the other hand use the time to do a spot of tidying - putting dishes away or washing up a couple of plates, wipe down the counter.....at the very least, get the mugs ready with coffee/ sugar/ teabags or whatever....I think it's really weird to just stand there while the kettle boils - AIBU?

SneakyGremlins Mon 23-Apr-18 16:08:18

I mean mine's never full so it only takes around 30 seconds anyway, during which I fill mug with hot choc/soup etc..

Trinity66 Mon 23-Apr-18 16:08:43

I think it's more weird that it bothers you that much tbh grin

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 23-Apr-18 16:09:26

I think it depends. I usually get the mugs ready but sometimes find myself enjoying a look out of the window. There are birds who sit on the end garden fence who I like watching.

Life isn’t all about rushing to the next thing smile

gamerchick Mon 23-Apr-18 16:10:33

Yes I’ve noticed this with every single dude who I’ve watched make a cup of something. They always wait for the kettle to boil.

That’s every single man. Mind I’ve seen woman do it as well but not 100% man.

I did ask the husband once and he said he likes to get the water into the cup at it’s hottest. I personally think it’s their daydreaming time and they need to stand still for it grin

LiveLifeWithPassion Mon 23-Apr-18 16:10:56

I go on my phone.
But I could be doing squats or something

YouCantCallMeBetty Mon 23-Apr-18 16:11:03

I'm with you so YANBU. It is very rare that there is nothing that needs doing in our kitchen so there are always little jobs to do

itallhappensforareason Mon 23-Apr-18 16:11:10

I get the mugs ready but would then just normally sit down until the kettle has boiled. Would normally make a cuppa after the dishes and everything have been done.

Doje Mon 23-Apr-18 16:11:24

Crikey this bothers me too! I've emptied the dishwasher / swept the floor by the time the kettle boils. DH just sits and reads twitter.

And Trinity, it bothers me, because it's one more job I've done that he hasn't!

unicornfarts Mon 23-Apr-18 16:11:37

never noticed it until more recently when he'll say he can't pick up the crying toddler (for instance) because he's boiling the kettle/ brewing a cuppa! confused

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 23-Apr-18 16:11:40

We drink coffee and not tea. And you don’t put boiling water over coffee.

Takes away the urgency.

BertieBotts Mon 23-Apr-18 16:12:14

I have been known to leave the room and totally forget that it was boiling at all blush low attention span, me?

unicornfarts Mon 23-Apr-18 16:14:19

that's the thing - I would get it if he's looking on his phone or doing something that's obviously downtime (watching the birds etc) ....but he's just watching the kettle or the mug and not daydreaming because he hears the kids talking to him etc - just says he can;t answer them because he's busy?

AnnUnderTheFryingPan Mon 23-Apr-18 16:17:41

I knew this was an OH thing before I clicked 🤣

drspouse Mon 23-Apr-18 16:19:38

I have been known to leave the room and totally forget that it was boiling at all blush low attention span, me?

This is me.

MrsRyanGosling15 Mon 23-Apr-18 16:21:33

I do squats when the kettle boils. Also when the microwave is on for a short time. Or see how many times I can run up and down the stairs. I have a very sad life, I know. (this is the total extent of my exercise. I'm not some fitness freak. I wish!)

Housewife2010 Mon 23-Apr-18 16:22:44

It seems really quaint waiting for a kettle to boil; we have a boiling water tap and would never go back.

AngelsWithSilverWings Mon 23-Apr-18 16:24:08

I used to see how much tidying/housework I could do in the minutes that the kettle was boiling.

We now have a boiling tap so I can't do that anymore!

I do it during adverts on TV too.

Jozxyqk Mon 23-Apr-18 16:26:04

I agree. DH goes to make tea / dinner, & that's literally all he'll do. Even if there's times when he's waiting because it's coming up to the boil, simmering, whatever. I make use of the spare time to wash up, tidy, do extra jobs etc. We are at opposite ends of the spectrum WRT our attitude to tidiness - I want it all done Right Now, he'd procrastinate until Hell froze over. I've tried leaving it for him to do... He will literally never get round to doing it.

Jozxyqk Mon 23-Apr-18 16:27:31

I'd be worried about a boiling tap - I'm so absent minded I'd probably scald myself. I poured boiling water on my hand twice in one week recently. Idiot.

unicornfarts Mon 23-Apr-18 16:32:28

Jozxyqk - so true of mine also - - - have you done that thing where you leave something on the stairs to see how long it will stay there if you don't put it away? I could;t last more than a week to be fair, but I'm confident it would be into the months!!

Trialsmum Mon 23-Apr-18 16:32:44

Bless him, it’s probably not occurred to his teeny little mind that you could do something else while you wait 😂.

BennyTheBall Mon 23-Apr-18 16:32:50

I do 100 squats and 200 lunges.

Not really, I gaze out of the window in a trance.

flowerslemonade Mon 23-Apr-18 16:37:29

I do the 'kettle dance'

hellokittymania Mon 23-Apr-18 16:43:37

I have to get the cup ready with the coffee grounds and get the milk out, and whatever else I'm having.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: