Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to exchange my French driving licence for an English one?

(9 Posts)
whatyadoing Sun 22-Apr-18 19:56:40

I've been here for 3 years now. Do I need to exchange it?

If not, any advantages to having an English one, or disadvantages indeed (thinking Brexit?)

Idontdowindows Sun 22-Apr-18 19:59:50

Nope, you don't need to exchange it.

Eggtastic Sun 22-Apr-18 19:59:52

My Norwegian friend has kept hers as that. EU and EAA don't need to change their license as far as I know. She doesn't want to change it to a UK one because she doesn't know how long she wants to live here for.
A friend of a friend from Turkey has to change theirs.

Idontdowindows Sun 22-Apr-18 20:00:16

Assuming you're not 68 yet.

MongerTruffle Sun 22-Apr-18 20:04:11

The only possible advantage that I can think of is with insurance. It could be cheaper if you have a UK driving licence, and claiming could be more complicated if the address on your driving licence doesn't match the address on your insurance policy.

tortelliniforever Sun 22-Apr-18 20:04:29

If you are in the UK for the longhaul I would probably change it as it might not be valid after Brexit - just another of the great unknown questions! I am changing my licence as I don't want to be stuck with a non-EU licence and be forced to retake the test.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 22-Apr-18 20:05:58

If you are staying in the UK exchange it. I'd no new deal in driving licenses is agreed it'll be invalid next year.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Sun 22-Apr-18 20:09:32

DD got her license in Malta, and when she came home she changed it to a uk one. Can’t remember why now, but she did research it and decided it was necessary.

whatyadoing Sun 22-Apr-18 23:37:29

Ok, I should change it then. Thank yuo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: