Talk

Advanced search

...to ask your opinions on a ‘walking commute’.

(190 Posts)
LemonsLemonsLemonsLemons Sat 21-Apr-18 23:36:05

Background: new job, terrible public transport to new workplace. Scared to cycle, and can’t drive.

I need to be at my new work place fairly early each day (before 8). I figured it would be around a 45 minute walk door to door at a leisurely pace. Is there anyone out there who does a regular daily walking commute? Would 45 minutes of walking early every morning be miserable or invigorating?! And then of course 45 mins home again at the end of the day.

I’m curious to hear other experiences, and maybe tips from anyone who does a walking commute.

TabbyMack Sat 21-Apr-18 23:38:27

I used to do this and it was generally fine. I listened to podcasts, audio books and music. Kept me fit.

Bit crap when the weather’s miserable, though.

Puffycat Sat 21-Apr-18 23:38:40

Stick on yer headphones and walk!
Good exercise and good for ya soul

BadPolicy Sat 21-Apr-18 23:39:18

Lovely in summer, pile of shite in winter.

Guavaf1sh Sat 21-Apr-18 23:42:01

I did a 50 minute waking commute when I lived in London- I was fitter slimmer and better for it

LemonsLemonsLemonsLemons Sat 21-Apr-18 23:42:46

Thanks everyone smile and yes, podcasts! I think that’ll be a perk.

In terms of rainy weather, did you wear a raincoat or did you use an umbrella? Sounds like an odd question but I’m trying to forward plan for different eventualities...! I feel like 45mins holding an umbrella may be kind of tiring.

Pimpernell182 Sat 21-Apr-18 23:42:56

I used to do this. Was generally fine. The money I saved on petrol / parking / other car costs / bus fares / train fares meant I felt no guilt calling a taxi on the truly crap weather days, which surprisingly were few and far between. I recommend wearing comfortable shoes or trainers then changing (if necessary) into whatever you'd wear for work on arrival.

Namechange128 Sat 21-Apr-18 23:43:20

So long as you genuinely enjoy walking, it's safe enough to do in the dark in winter, and you do have bad-weather options then it's fine.
I used to do 42 mins both ways, it was good for a while but it did get a little wearing especially in winter with the rain and wind, and because it ended up often being tiring enough that I didn't feel like other exercise, but also not a proper workout.

Something that helped me keep it fun was running home twice a week - it speeds it up so much and is so good to make exercise part of your routine (and you can easily start with small jobs and walking rests). Might you be able to do that?

Namechange128 Sat 21-Apr-18 23:43:51

*small jogs not jobs!

LemonsLemonsLemonsLemons Sat 21-Apr-18 23:43:52

Guava - thanks, that’s good to hear. I’m in London too and it would be a mishmash if random bus routes to this place that would take longer than walking.

ILikeMyChickenFried Sat 21-Apr-18 23:44:15

The walk to school.and home again is 45 minutes for me. I have DS to chat to half the way and listen to music the rest.

In fine weather, or even dry weather, it's actually really nice. In heavy rain it's miserable.

caoraich Sat 21-Apr-18 23:45:06

I did this for a while, about 40 mins there but longer on the way home as that was uphill! Do check out the hills on your route. It was generally fine in all weathers once I just started wearing sensible clothes and trainers for the walk and getting changed at work.
It was much more miserable going home than to work though. I did figure out how much I was saving on public transport costs. It meant that I could treat myself to two taxi rides home a week if needed. Sometimes I didn't use them and "saved" them up for the weeks it was really pelting it down or I had somewhere to be straight after work.

Gennz18 Sat 21-Apr-18 23:45:38

I used to when I lived in London - N1 to SE1. I didn't do it every day but a couple of times a week at least. It took about the same amount of time to walk as it did to bus/tube and it was a nice way to get to work and to decompress afterwards.

LemonsLemonsLemonsLemons Sat 21-Apr-18 23:46:07

Namechange - thanks, I’d wondered about potentially running home sometimes! Did you use a special running backpack for keys/phone/other clothes?

Beeziekn33ze Sat 21-Apr-18 23:47:46

If work has a shower some commute to work by running.

An umbrella would be tiring I reckon. You need a good hooded waterproof and a backpack to keep your hands free and your posture upright! Enjoy your extra exercise!

thefairyfellersmasterstroke Sat 21-Apr-18 23:48:31

A friend did this, 7 miles each way, and lost a lot of weight in the process, which she was very happy with. She always kept her bus fare handy though in case of severe weather or any other unforeseen circumstances, but after a while found it very addictive and resented the occasions when she did have to use transport.

I've just started walking, although not for a commute, and listen to podcasts as I go. Tip: don't listen to comedy unless you like getting weird looks from people as you stride along while bellowing with laughter.

LemonsLemonsLemonsLemons Sat 21-Apr-18 23:48:55

And thanks everyone else for your responses! It’s made me feel this is less of a mad idea. And a good point about giving myself a taxi allocation - I like that idea.

Ginkypig Sat 21-Apr-18 23:49:38

An umbrella only works with no wind! Not helpful sorry but true.

LineyHasntLeftTheBuilding Sat 21-Apr-18 23:49:57

I've done it, many years ago. I had a desk at work in which I could keep 'nice' boring work shoes etc. And yes to shitty weather cabs.

I found I was really hungry at work though - so take a stash of food with you in a backpack on Mondays or you'll just waste your savings on crap expensive bought food and drinks through the week. Sandwiches, cheap noodles, salads etc.

Good luck!

Sonotcivil Sat 21-Apr-18 23:50:07

I have done a walking commute. Have a Pac a Mac even in summer just in case.
Umbrella and a coat for when properly raining, even a little tiny one in a bag, you don't need the stereotypical London business man umbrella grin.

It is great exercise too. Just invest in a good backpack, comfy shoes and off you go and at least you've public transport to save you if it's too bad.

Sonotcivil Sat 21-Apr-18 23:50:58

Or how about a scooter? Safer then a bike in London, slightly quicker then walking though.

Or even cooler a moped or motorbike...

Gennz18 Sat 21-Apr-18 23:52:30

7 miles each way shock that's keen!! Mine was about 4.5km, so 2.7 miles and took 45 min. 7 miles each way must have taken her hours.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sat 21-Apr-18 23:54:49

I used to do a 40 min each way school run. I would recommend waterproof coat and trousers and comfy wellies for the really wet days. Holding an umbrella is tiring after a while. My waterproofs are trespass and weren't expensive and roll into little bags so can keep in my handbag for the unexpected showers smile

Nicketynac Sat 21-Apr-18 23:55:26

I do a combination of driving/ running in the morning (shower at work) and walking/ driving home. Could you use public transport for one leg of your journey during bad weather or if you feel a bit crap or lazy?
I have a Karrimor rucksack with straps at chest and waist which I use when running. I leave as much stuff as possible at work (hairdryer etc) to minimise the weight, and use a microfibre towel.
I wear trainers in both directions and a fairly lightweight waterproof or padded jacket rolled up in my bag for the way home when needed. Even in fairly cold weather I end up warm as I walk fast.

TroubledLichen Sat 21-Apr-18 23:55:39

DH does this. Out of choice too since we have boris type bikes at the end of the street, are close to a train station and have a car! He likes the fresh air and to put his headphones in and listen to a podcast or music. He does relent and take the train when the weather gets really bad, but we’re taking gale force winds or a blizzard. He has a special laptop back pack and changes his shoes at the office.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: