Talk

Advanced search

Help advice needed!

(23 Posts)
littlebunnyhophophop Sat 21-Apr-18 09:10:36

Posting for traffic , I am 23 and back when I was just 16 I had a fairly horrific time at home/school I fell in with the wrong crowd and was cautioned with shoplifting and then a few months later had a fine through the letter box from the procurator fiscal (I'm in Scotland just incase it's relevant) the was £75 and at the time I was told it wouldn't show on checks as long as it was paid (which it was) I've never been in any trouble since and have 2 young children I've been looking at applying for a job within the prison system and it includes an enhanced dbs check , will these show or am I doomed from those stupid choices I made years ago 🤐
Thanks for reading!

Caribou58 Sat 21-Apr-18 09:12:43

I don't know if Scotland is different from England in this respect - but here in England, these offences would definitely show up on an enhanced DBS check.

PurpleDaisies Sat 21-Apr-18 09:13:23

One of my friebds is a doctor with a caution for shoplifting when she was younger. Lots of people will have that sort of thing. I’d be open and honest about it. Even if it does show on an enhanced DBS check, it’s really not an automatic no from an employer.

Slartybartfast Sat 21-Apr-18 09:13:57

It might be easier all around if you are up front about it

Slartybartfast Sat 21-Apr-18 09:15:04

www.mygov.scot/enhanced-disclosure/

immortalmarble Sat 21-Apr-18 09:17:05

I don’t think it will show if you are under 18 providing no further trouble.

Slartybartfast Sat 21-Apr-18 09:18:35

they did tell you if the fine was paid it wouldnt show on records though op

katycb Sat 21-Apr-18 09:19:06

Hi I'm a teacher not sure about Scotland but think it would show in England HOWEVER if you have a good explanation I don't think it would stop u getting the job. I have an ex colleague who had a caution and fine for urinating in a public place as a student. He was open about it and explained it as being a one off when young etc...he is now a Head Master.

Slartybartfast Sat 21-Apr-18 09:19:47

i think in the line of work you are going into honesty is the best policy

littlebunnyhophophop Sat 21-Apr-18 09:29:22

I don't have an issue declaring I am more than happy to explain the circumstances around it it was a really difficult time for me and I don't like to lie , but this is the part that's holding me back it says if youv been convicted in the last 10 years they can't go ahead with the application 😔

MereDintofPandiculation Sat 21-Apr-18 09:34:24

Check the definition of "caution". My memory was that they brought in cautions because the peak age for offending was in the last year before school leaving age, and it was an aim to deal with offenders without saddling them with a criminal conviction. If I'm right, then you haven't been convicted. You have admitted your guilt (else you wouldn't have been eligible for a caution), so you should be prepared to be upfront.

PurpleDaisies Sat 21-Apr-18 09:35:20

A caution is not a criminal conviction...
www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty

You can’t lie. They will find out.

MereDintofPandiculation Sat 21-Apr-18 09:38:50

A friend of mine used to work in criminal research, and gave a talk to the local Rotary Club (generally regarded as "pillars of the community") which included the statistic that one third of men had acquired a criminal conviction before their 30s. After the talk he had a succession of Rotary Club members sidle up to him and explain the mitigation circumstances behind their teenage shoplifting convictions.

littlebunnyhophophop Sat 21-Apr-18 09:39:00

But a fine is yes? Or isn't it I'm confused I might actually phone the sps on Monday and explain the situation and see what they say 🙄

MereDintofPandiculation Sat 21-Apr-18 09:40:18

You can’t lie. They will find out. And lying about a caution/conviction will bar you from a job even when the actual caution/ conviction would not have done.

PurpleDaisies Sat 21-Apr-18 09:42:29

I might actually phone the sps on Monday and explain the situation and see what they say

That’s definitely the best idea.

MereDintofPandiculation Sat 21-Apr-18 09:42:58

It looks like a fine isn't a conviction, either:
"The police or procurator fiscal can give you a 'direct measure' for an alleged offence (a crime you're accused of committing). For example, a warning, fine or unpaid community work. Accepting a direct measure means you won't go to court or get a criminal conviction. "
www.mygov.scot/police-fiscal-warning-penalty/

sashh Sat 21-Apr-18 09:43:31

I'm in England. Anything and everything shows on an enhanced DBS.

But that is no the end of the story, the employer has to carry out the DBS process, what they do with the information is different.

I know a teacher with a conviction for assault, she has to explain the circumstances at any interview but because of the circumstances it has not stopped her.

There are people who work with scouts / guides with things on their DBS. Second hand I know one who is OK to work with scouts but not guides so cannot take part in joint scout and guide events.

Most places encourage you to 'self declare' before they do the check, they are looking for someone suitable now. Something like a teenage shoplifting conviction is not going to worry any sane employer, as you have said you have not been in trouble since.

immortalmarble Sat 21-Apr-18 09:48:18

After the age of 18 though sash

littlebunnyhophophop Sat 21-Apr-18 09:53:18

So if I do the application and put no for convictions but in the little box at the bottom just self declare and say I and the fine and caution and explain mitigating circumstances it should be ok? I feel so bloody stupid for those things I done and how it's effecting me now!

Slartybartfast Sat 21-Apr-18 10:06:17

sounds like a plan op

sashh Sat 21-Apr-18 10:22:04

Well the worst thing that can happen is they say 'no' and there is a good chance they won't.

sashh Sat 21-Apr-18 10:34:25

Sorry immortalmarble not sure what you mean?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: