Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your lovely stories about parenting tall sons?

(126 Posts)
WombOfOnesOwn Fri 20-Apr-18 23:25:23

My first little boy stayed at the 90th percentile for height from his first measurements on, with barely a wobble up or down. He's now over 2, which means his height percentile is likely, though not guaranteed, to stay similar. My husband is a similar height percentile and so that is expected and it's been nice to see him grow.

My new baby, though...his weight is 80th-90th percentile, but his length has, at every measurement, been climbing centiles. 98th at birth, then 99th, then 99.5th, 99.8th, 99.9th, and we are now at what the doctor's office said was "99.9th+" at not quite 2 months. He has been lengthening out of clothing sizes at a rate that shocked me even as the mother of a previous fairly tall baby.

I know that it is very early days and his measurements and centiles could well change, but I am a woman of 99.8th percentile height myself. It was not always easy to be six feet tall, especially not when I hit my full adult height as a preteen. Of course, a boy at the same centile would be much taller, to the point of it starting to make some things very difficult -- like economy seating on planes, for instance, or even doorways!

So tell me what's lovely and fun about tall sons as they enter the preteen, teenage, and adult stages. Do they like being tall? Tall mothers of tall sons, does it seem like it's easier for boys? I want to be able to look at this baby's development as exciting and look forward to the good parts, instead of fretting that he'll be a miserable giant every time he outgrows yet another item made for babies 3-4 times his age.

SummerSpring Fri 20-Apr-18 23:29:09

No advice for bringing up tall children I'm afraid, but if it helps - my current DP is 6'3 and it really helps with his job (he is a policeman). He loves his height and so do I grin.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 20-Apr-18 23:29:10

My DS is tall he is 5ft 4 with size 7 feet and only turned 11 very recently. He likes being tall because he tells me it makes it easier to win swimming galas because you don't have to swim as far to reach the other side grin

MizCracker Fri 20-Apr-18 23:31:02

I don't think being tall at two is really a guarantee that they'll be tall adults. I was the tallest child in my class right up until year 6... after which I basically stopped growing and never reached 5' 4" grin

NeedForBlossom Fri 20-Apr-18 23:33:01

I am 5"8, DS1 (16 this month) is over 6ft with size 13 feet.

He is lovely although I keep tripping over his enormous shoes grin

NeedForBlossom Fri 20-Apr-18 23:34:01

And agree with pp re height indication, I was under average height at school wink

Dickybow321 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:35:05

I'm. 5'10". Reached this height by age 15 (I'm female). So I understand where you're coming from:I hated my height as a teenager and only became comfortable with it probably around age 30 when I was finally comfortable with being 'me'.

My 13 year old is the same height as me now and my 15 year old is 6'1 ( both boys). They are both over-the-moon delighted to be tall.... in fact they both talk very often about wanting to be 6'4-6'7 etc. It's different for them though, I suppose, bc these days most kids are very tall, girls included. Also, it's easier for them compared to me bc they're male.

UsedtobeFeckless Fri 20-Apr-18 23:38:43

I think you might be jumping the gun a bit, to be honest ... He's only 2!

I can't remember any indication that either of mine were going to top 6' by a fair few inches - l'm 5' 1" and look like a hobbit when stood between them! grin
They both love being tall - stop worrying!

WombOfOnesOwn Fri 20-Apr-18 23:39:00

Thank you! Knowing that it isn't likely to be #1 on their "why I hate you" list as teenagers is nice, I'm sure they'll think of much better options.

Dickybow321 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:40:27

They were both average height from birth. Then DS15 grew about 7" in a year at 14, while DS13 has shot up about 5" over the last 2 years. They both have size 11shoes shock

Elphame Fri 20-Apr-18 23:40:51

I’m 5 10. DS was way up on the percentiles from day 1. He finally topped out at 6’ 6”. (Father just scrapes 6’)

By the time he hit teenage years I had to tell him off whilst standing two steps up the stairs to give me the necessary height advantage!

Dickybow321 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:42:15

Most teenage girls these days seem to be around my height! So I think the new 'desirable ' height for men will be more like 6'4 than the 6'1 it is now

DramaAlpaca Fri 20-Apr-18 23:42:49

I'm 5'10, and have three lovely, tall sons in their early 20s smile

They weren't long or big babies, and as toddlers and children they were all around the 50th centile, but they had growth spurts at 13 & by the time they were 14 all three of them had overtaken me & their dad, who's 5'11.

DS1 is 6'2, DS3 is 6'3 and DS2 is the little one at 6'. None of them have big feet though - size 10 for the tallest two.

As for whether they like being tall, I'm sure they do. They were far more comfortable being tall teenagers than I was. I was always very self conscious about being tall, I hated it and it took me ages to become confident about my height. My boys never had that problem & liked being taller than average.

Elphame Fri 20-Apr-18 23:43:48

Forgot to add he often gets free extra legroom on planes when the check in staff or flight attendants take pity on him....

disconnecteddrifter Fri 20-Apr-18 23:44:22

My sons were on 90th percentile. One is ten and the second shortest in his class, the other is 8 and the shortest. Both were on 90 th until they were 5. Don't worry it means nothing

Dickybow321 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:45:01

Who does?

BikeRunSki Fri 20-Apr-18 23:50:19

Have you done the calculation in the back of his red book for estimated adult height? It’s based on parents heights and height centile at birth or something similar. This estimates that DS (9) will be 6’4”. This makes sense, the men in my dad’s family are all very tall.

DS has always been 91-98th centile for height (albeit unwaveringly 75th for weight). He is 9.5 years old now, and says that he loves being tall - and has also said it means you have less far to swim! O

VladmirsPoutine Fri 20-Apr-18 23:51:06

Everyone according to MN has 'towering' dc. I don't think being tall is something to be ashamed about. I'm 5'10. My nieces and nephews are somewhere between 5'9 - 6'6. I personally love a tall woman wink

Crazycatladyx5 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:54:44

My ex is 6'8". Our DD9 is very tall. Not sure of actual height at mo but I buy clothes for 13-14 year olds & her feet are a size 8.
She doesn't seem bothered at the mo.....but I find it very hard getting clothes & shoes for her...she is in the biggest size of uniform for her school now & is just in Year 4.
And people's reactions can upset me, like when we went ice skating at Christmas and the people sorting the boots made a huge fuss about how big her feet were...but I didn't let her see I was bothered.

JaceLancs Sat 21-Apr-18 00:00:38

DS was huge and referred for hospital investigations due to height and abnormally early puberty at age 6, various tests were done and if was decided that he was at high end of normal and his adult height was assessed as going to be between 6’7 and 6’9
He is now 25 and stopped at 6’4
DD stopped at 5’1
I’m 5’4
ExDP (their Dad) was about 5’10

Twogoround Sat 21-Apr-18 00:03:19

When all grown up they give lovely hugs .

Quantumblue Sat 21-Apr-18 00:09:06

DS was always beyond the 100 perceintile on charts and now at 19 is 6'7. His height is a strong part of his identity, he is used to people commenting. At one point I bought him a tshirt that said 'no I don't play basketball'.
Pluses are that people remember him,: he literally stands out. He is good at reaching things. Negatives are that he was not very co-ordinated growing up and is only now getting confident with sport. He struggles on long plane flights and shoes can be hard to get.
Overall I think he is (weirdly) quite proud of being so tall.

Quantumblue Sat 21-Apr-18 00:13:38

One more thought- he talked early (and constantly) and all through his childhood people thought he was at least 2 years older than he was and that he was badly behaved for his age. So a 2 year old tantrum looked like a 4 year old. At one point we saw a pediatrician who said we all unconsciously expect more of tall children and that we should drop our expectations of him by 20%.

bbpp Sat 21-Apr-18 00:19:59

I was easily 4" above the rest of my class in primary. I was the tallest in the school by year 4. By year 8 I'd stopped growing and I'm now a very average 5ft 4! So his height now might not be a great representation of how he'll be as an adult.

HuckfromScandal Sat 21-Apr-18 00:26:00

My darling dd is 16 and now a whopping 6 5”. But is determined he is only 64”
He is A man child
And a lovely one

Advice I would have given to my younger self

- be prepared to defend your child. Their height makes them appear older than they are and societal expectations are different based on age.
- start saving now for shoes. It’s not even funny
But thirdly
And this is important

Respect is based on your relationship and not on the fact you are bitter or stringer than them.
I have an absolutely great relationship with my son
And he knows I am the boss
But that’s based on mutual respect and understanding
If he didn’t respect me or my rules
I would have serious problems implementing them coz I can’t “make” him do antything.

And enjoy
Being a mum to boys is awesome

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: