Talk

Advanced search

To call the police?

(38 Posts)
Noboozeforme Fri 20-Apr-18 22:51:54

I'm a mixture of upset and really fucking angry.

My 15 yr old was out after school today with two girl friends and unprovoked was punched in the side of the head / in the face while sitting in Mc donalds. The other boy was about his age (my son didn't retaliate - and tbh is a quiet and unassuming lad). The staff in McDonald's made sure he was ok and called one of his friends parents to come and collect them. They didn't call the police.

I've called the police and reported it .. he had several burises on his forehead /side of his head.

He didn't want me to call the police - is afraid of reprisal.

I'm fuming and want to hunt this kids down ...

Was I being unreasonable to call the police ? What would you have done ?

QuestionableMouse Fri 20-Apr-18 22:53:28

God yes do call the police. It'll be on cctv I store so they'll be able to look at it.

Fruitcorner123 Fri 20-Apr-18 22:55:04

You definitely were correct to report it and hopefully they will be questioning MacDonald staff.

Could you put a complaint in to the MacDonalds store manager. An assault haooened on a child in their premises, surely they should have reported it?

The only thing I would say is are you sure your son has been totally honest about the attack being unprovoked? I simply ask because if there is more to the story that might explain his reluctance.

NomadicMother Fri 20-Apr-18 22:55:36

YANBU! How horrible, your poor child.

Noboozeforme Fri 20-Apr-18 23:01:44

I'm fuming still. Can't help myself on son's behalf.

I'm as sure as I can be about son's story. He and his friends are the quiet types .. they play card games over console games / don't do drugs or drink..

He's so bloody sensitive and such a nice kid. I'm worried how this will effect him.

Yes I will speak to the manager tomorrow.. He had finished work when I rang earlier.

Fruitcorner123 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:07:39

He will be ok and will be glad he has you to support him. I hope they have got it on cctv and they can catch him. Horrible for you and your boy. Hope you have got someone there to support you.flowers

ShawshanksRedemption Fri 20-Apr-18 23:07:50

Did he say if they were in school uniform? Same school as him? Make sure you let the school know there's been an incident too when he goes back Monday in case the perpetrators go there, or even if they don't in case they hang around school gates etc.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Fri 20-Apr-18 23:09:10

Oh poor love! Hope he's ok. YWNBU. It's unlikely anything will come from it but it's always worth reporting

Makeupfanatic Fri 20-Apr-18 23:10:42

Do speak to the manager but putting a complaint in about the staff that actually helped your son is so unneccessary. As you said yourself, he didn’t want to involve the police and fears reprisal so what were they supposed to do? They made sure he was okay and arranged for him to be taken home safely by his friend’s parents so it seems mean to file a complaint against them...

Yanbu to report it yourself though

Makeupfanatic Fri 20-Apr-18 23:11:33

Does your son know who the boy that attacked him is?

Fruitcorner123 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:14:11

I think macdonalds as a global company should have and probably do have a policy of reporting assaults that happen on their premises at the very least this identified a training need for this branch. Somebody there was duty manager and shod have reported it. When the OP speaks to the manager she can make it clear she is grateful for the care he did receive.

Noboozeforme Fri 20-Apr-18 23:17:49

No he didn't know the boy. He said it all happened so quickly that he can't remember anything about his apart from a really generic description.

I'm so angry. Argh !!

Noboozeforme Fri 20-Apr-18 23:19:21

The manager didn't offer to call the police. Son told me he didn't want me to call the police .. not the manager.

WhatToDoAboutWailmerGoneRogue Fri 20-Apr-18 23:22:17

YANBU to have called the police. I work at McDonalds and the shift manager should have reported the incident to the police.

We regularly report incidents between kids to the police and have a direct line to the police that send them straight out for any serious incidents.

You should ring up the store and explain that while you appreciated they helped your son, the shift manager should have called them to report the assault. It will all be on CCTV for them to see.

GardenGeek Fri 20-Apr-18 23:24:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackforGood Fri 20-Apr-18 23:31:16

GEneralisation much ? GardenGeek hmm

OP, Of course you did the right thing to call the police. I a surprised the McDonalds staff / security didn't.

TheTroutofNoCraic Fri 20-Apr-18 23:33:23

Yes. It's assault.

nicenewdusters Fri 20-Apr-18 23:35:46

You definitely did the right thing. I reported an incident recently involving one of my dc and their friends. It was less serious than your case, although the children involved are younger.

I reported to the police online, got an email a couple of hours later. The incident has been logged as a common assault, and assigned a high priority. I also got a letter from Victim Support today. They can help in many ways, it sounds like your son might benefit from contacting them.

I really hope they catch the scumbags involved - your poor son, and such an awful experience for you.

gluteustothemaximus Fri 20-Apr-18 23:38:33

I have a 15 year old, also quiet lad. I’d be fucking livid.

Calling police is right thing to do. But in reality, nothing will be done as either they won’t be found, or if they are found it’ll be a slap on the wrist.

I’d be encouraging some self defence techniques after that.

There are pricks everywhere.

I was punched really hard in the back whilst walking with my DS, so I fell down. I was so livid. Some boys cycled past me laughing. I knew who’d done it, but as no one saw it, wasn’t on cctv, they were about 14/15 - what can you do?

Wish the world didn’t have shitheads in it.

GreenTulips Fri 20-Apr-18 23:43:14

Today 23:24 GardenGeek

Insane! Kids are out of control these days

I agree too many excuses not enough deterants

I hope they find him

The police will take the matter out of your sons hands because he's a minor. I hope they find those responsible.

The success rate depends on how stretched the police in your area are.

WhatToDoAboutWailmerGoneRogue Fri 20-Apr-18 23:44:31

gluteustothemaximus All McDonalds have CCTV so this will be recorded. It’s also likely the kids in question will be known to McDonalds staff as the same kids frequently hang out there and we can easily pinpoint (and subsequently refuse to serve and kick out) the troublemakers.

There are measures the police and McDonalds can take.

AjasLipstick Fri 20-Apr-18 23:45:20

That manager has acted very irresponsibly and I would be writing to head office to find out what they're MEANT to do in this situation.

Call the police. McDonalds will have CCTV.

IthinkIsawahairbrushbackthere Fri 20-Apr-18 23:47:25

Definitely call the police. My daughter was attacked on her way home from school when she was that age.

The situation was slightly different in that she knew who the girls were who attacked her and we were able to leave it in the hands of the school.

Because the police were involved the school took the matter very seriously.

Itslookinglikeabeautifulday Fri 20-Apr-18 23:49:01

Definitely not unreasonable. flowers My heart goes out to you and your lovely son, who sounds just like mine. Hope he doesn't let it get to him. I would be fuming/upset too if some moron hit my son. xx

ReanimatedSGB Fri 20-Apr-18 23:52:21

Your poor DS, hope he's not too distressed. It's fine to call the police but, sadly, they may not be able to do much unless someone can identify the attacker on the CCTV. My DS was attacked by kids he didn't know, and the nearest CCTV wasn't working, so the attackers were not caught.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: