Talk

Advanced search

Is this a plant or a weed?

(19 Posts)
crayzeedaze Fri 20-Apr-18 22:49:37

No idea what this is. Just wondering if I should pull it up or not. Any suggestions?

CanIBuffalo Fri 20-Apr-18 22:50:37

Creeping buttercup. Get rid.

Efrig Fri 20-Apr-18 22:51:39

It’s a weed. It pretends to be a plant and makes quite an effort, but it’s really just a weed.

Happygummibear Fri 20-Apr-18 22:52:37

A weed is just a plant in the wrong place.

However some weeds are just plain annoying and spread like wild fire

Pull it up, make sure you get the root out as well.

newtlover Fri 20-Apr-18 22:53:32

much as I hate creeping buttercup (and bastard weed aka bindweed) I am compelled to remind you that weeds ARE plants

Fresta Fri 20-Apr-18 22:54:17

Yes- creeping buttercup!

Harebellmeadow Fri 20-Apr-18 22:56:25

Looks like buttercup (unless it is trollius or ranunculus, but I don’t think they have the same weedy stretched-out leaves) so I would go with creeping buttercup too.

Mrsramsayscat Fri 20-Apr-18 22:59:59

It spreads very quickly so get rid soon!

yoyo1234 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:00:07

If it is in the wrong place it is a weed. The weeds in our garden have the common name of "strawberry" .

campion Fri 20-Apr-18 23:02:45

newtlover you haven't finished that sentence. Weeds are plants which will take over every possible space in your garden,crowding out and possibly choking your 'non weed' plants so that you have a mono cultural garden ie weeds.

Napalm and chemicals are your best line of attack,OP.

Efrig Fri 20-Apr-18 23:06:02

I suppose weeds are technically plants, but unless it comes from the garden centre it’s not a proper plant.

I’m doing battle against the dandelions at the moment.

Willow2017 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:14:05

You will never get rid of that muuuuhaha. I pull it up by the bucketload every year and every year the bloody thing is back.

hedgebackwards Fri 20-Apr-18 23:25:39

A weed is just a plant in the wrong place.
If you have that in your garden, it's in the wrong place. Horrible stuff and spreads like mad.

iammargesimpson Fri 20-Apr-18 23:27:53

Looks like creeping buttercup alright, it's a bugger get rid of! Re the dandelions, I used to battle against them every year until someone told me they are the first food of the year for bees, so now I let them grow, even though my hands are twitching to rip them out of the ground every time I see them!
Thistles are my current weed, everywhere I look in the garden there they are, they seem to multiply over night.

mandieleeinatree Fri 20-Apr-18 23:29:21

Looks like hogweed. Kill it with fire! shock

Blizzardagain Fri 20-Apr-18 23:29:21

I totally read "is this a plant or weed?" This thread didn't turn out to be as interesting as I thought it would begrin

GardenGeek Fri 20-Apr-18 23:32:16

Napalm and chemicals are your best line of attack,OP.

Haha way over dramatic. Just cover it leave for 6 weeks to return to the most beautiful black lush soil you have ever seen [wink

For single plants I use a bucket or a slab/stone. For large areas I use plastic bags pegged in.

73kittycat73 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:45:56

Shame it's a weed, it looks so pretty.

Mamagin Sat 21-Apr-18 00:03:16

There have been creeping buttercups on my allotment for 30 years. Through weeding, burning and carpet cover. Chickens don't eat them. Don't put them in the compost bin! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: