Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours new CCTV....

(47 Posts)
Pearldo Thu 19-Apr-18 12:04:16

Our neighbours have installed CCTV. This is the view from our bed.... Feel very uncomfortable about this as pretty sure it can see us from that angle.

caseymoo Thu 19-Apr-18 12:06:04

Crickey op is get blinds up ASAP

Nicknacky Thu 19-Apr-18 12:06:24

Have you spoke to them about it? I would imagine the camera is facing the garden/exterior

Returnofthesmileybar Thu 19-Apr-18 12:06:28

No way would I be happy with that shock

Oddcat Thu 19-Apr-18 12:08:31

That would make me uncomfortable too.

(I think your double glazing has blown )

Eatmycheese Thu 19-Apr-18 12:08:38

Is it that little black round thing on the wall?
If so yes I wouldn’t be exactly thrilled.

Perhaps someone who knows more about this sort of thing will be along to tell you how to smash it oops sorry deal with it legally (I haven’t mastered strike through)

Pearldo Thu 19-Apr-18 12:09:12

Ha yes it has blown on that pane blush

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Thu 19-Apr-18 12:10:41

Lovely garden <misses point of thread completely >

Pearldo Thu 19-Apr-18 12:10:52

Yes the black round thing. I have to draw the curtains when in bed now. It's a shame as beautiful rural view...

I don't know for sure how they work but I think they have a wide range iyswim.

Apparently it's entirely legal shockhmm

nocake Thu 19-Apr-18 12:11:32

Speak to them about it. If it can see into your house then there are privacy issues but they may be able to show you that it can only see their property.

DGRossetti Thu 19-Apr-18 12:12:17

Nicknacky Thu 19-Apr-18 12:13:06

Why would they face it into your bedroom? The black domes are usually enclosed and the lens facing the direction you want coverage. Have you got up close and looked at it?

teaandtoast Thu 19-Apr-18 12:14:25

One-way film on the window?

LegendOfTomorrow Thu 19-Apr-18 12:16:19

Just ask them if they can possibly show you a quick clip of what their cctv captures if they're not busy right now. Just say that you're concerned that they may not have noticed that it looks like it's possibly capturing video of your home.
If they're reasonable they will let you see to assure you. If they're not reasonable, I'm sure you can ask the police to check for you as it's an offence to video private property.

Pearldo Thu 19-Apr-18 12:16:37

It's supposed to be surveying the front of their own house. They said our downstairs is in the field of vision too, which is fine, just not the bedroom!

Pearldo Thu 19-Apr-18 12:17:09

When I say downstairs I mean the outside not inside obviously

LegendOfTomorrow Thu 19-Apr-18 12:17:52

Ask for proof. A clip of video will do.

ittakes2 Thu 19-Apr-18 12:18:48

get advice from the council and then speak to your neighbours - you have a right to privacy!

Knittedfairies Thu 19-Apr-18 12:34:57

Could you go round to your neighbours and have a look at what they can see? Get someone to move around your bedroom while you’re watching. Otherwise I’d ask them to move it.

Lichtie Thu 19-Apr-18 12:38:32

I have a similar camera, its like an eyeball and can move it around in any direction so not sure a video clip will give you much comfort.
I'd add that ours doesn't and can't look onto anyone's property, I wouldn't be comfortable with that either OP

ArcheryAnnie Thu 19-Apr-18 12:38:45

The gov.uk website has a page on this that you might find helpful:

www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property

Interestingly, it seems to say* that domestic users whose cameras film property beyond the camera-owner's own boundaries are subject to the Data Protection Act, and have responsibilities as such, including registering with the Information Commissioner’s Office:

ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv

*Disclaimer: I know nothing of the law except what I can google.

fuzzyduck1 Thu 19-Apr-18 12:39:03

Put a note in your window saying “Peeping Tom,”
See if he starts looking sheepish.

3stonedown Thu 19-Apr-18 12:39:48

I'd ask to see what it was showing and I would make sure the range doesn't get to your bedroom IYSWIM

trulybadlydeeply Thu 19-Apr-18 12:41:43

This article is a little old, but may be worth a read:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11622935/Should-you-install-CCTV-outside-your-home.html

billybagpuss Thu 19-Apr-18 12:44:39

As a matter of interest who said it is entirely legal?

I can't imagine for 1 second that it is legal to have a CCTV that can see the interior of a neighbours property.

I have just had to register with the ICO because the GDPR regulations come into effect next month and as I have students coming to my house and my CCTV records them coming up the drive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: