Talk

Advanced search

Should I report neighbour for benefit fraud?

(84 Posts)
namechange18 Wed 18-Apr-18 16:13:39

My neighbour is in her 20's and claims carers allowance to look after her dad who has arthritis and fibromyalgia, they live together and he also gets PIP as they have a mobility car.

Neighbour says she suffers with anxiety and some depression, although she is able to go out and about on her own most of the time. This neighbour has just claimed PIP and won, and bragged that at the assessment, she made herself cry and in the middle of it, stormed upstairs shouting and screaming. She was telling me this whilst her and her dad were laughing. Her Dad said she could win an oscar for her performance. She also lied on the form, by telling them she couldnt make a sandwich as she wanders off and forgets about it. Yet, she regularly bakes and cooks and posts photos of things she's made on facebook.

The gobsmacking part of this, is that her and her dad do a bit of cash in hand at the local chip shop (she told me).

As someone with ASD and MH issues who has recently claimed PIP and been turned down, this sort of thing really pisses me off. How can someone like her get PIP, but someone with a really long mh history, ASD and never been able to hold down a job and be independent, be denied PIP?

Surely it's people like her that make it hard for people like me, in receiving these benefits?

AIBU to report her?

SluttyButty Wed 18-Apr-18 16:24:11

I'd be really surprised if she got it by lying. It's notoriously difficult to get.
And what she says/posts on social media may not be the truth or rather it's how they want to be seen, we kind of fake being well rather than ill.
Or it could be it's a fluctuating condition. Unless you know for absolute certainty then back off and leave them too it. You get reassessed fairly regularly anyway.

BanginChoons Wed 18-Apr-18 16:28:15

No. It's not a competition. You haven't been turned down in favour of her. You have been turned down because the system is shit and decisions are made by people with no medical knowledge based on buzz words on a form.

If you are unhappy with the decision made regarding your own claim, appeal it. Don't ruin someone else's life because you are bitter/jealous.

FlickingVees Wed 18-Apr-18 16:28:48

Good lord, who put you in charge OP?

Are you a fully paid up member of the benefit police, subsection curtain twitchers?

Honestly, crack on with your short life and stop thinking you are in communist China with neighborhood struggle sessions.

Slutty’s right, these are very difficult to get, and are reassessed regularly.

MInd your own business.

JiminyBillyBob Wed 18-Apr-18 16:31:11

I’d definitely report for the cash in hand work!

UpstartCrow Wed 18-Apr-18 16:31:14

Surely it's people like her that make it hard for people like me, in receiving these benefits?

No, it isnt.
Despite what you read in the DM, you cant just walk in and claim PIP. you need medical evidence.

biscuitraider Wed 18-Apr-18 16:32:56

What your neighbour gets up to really doesn't affect you in any way. The rich get up to far worse. Don't be the cause of someone's life getting wrecked.

phoebemac Wed 18-Apr-18 16:34:36

1. It is really really hard to get PIP. There are people with no legs who have been turned down and had to go to appeal.

2. You can claim PIP and carer's allowance AND work, so not sure why your gob is smacked about that.

3. No-one knows how a person's disability affects them day to day. Maybe they are making light of a difficult situation.

4. MYOB.

lubeybooby Wed 18-Apr-18 16:36:02

sounds like shes just bragging in an effort towards downplaying whats really wrong with her. I understand your annoyance but I'd leave it

SluttyButty Wed 18-Apr-18 16:37:28

Upstart is right, I had reams of uptodate evidence and was turned down for the mobility component. I was awarded lower rate care but that was it.
I sometimes make cakes too, when I'm able and someone is home to check I've not left the oven on for several hours. I use a mixer so everything gets chucked in, I don't have to do very much at all really...

Graphista Wed 18-Apr-18 16:38:16

biscuit

Hillingdon Wed 18-Apr-18 16:48:04

Most on MN want people to ignore this and give all the excuses under the sun as to why its a genuine claim.

Having worked with various government depts over the years. Its not difficult to believe that they make errors and mistakes time and time again.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 18-Apr-18 16:50:06

I’d report the cash in hand bit tbh.

ethelfleda Wed 18-Apr-18 16:53:49

I am usually on the side that would tell people to report someone for falsely claiming benefits or dodging tax. But not on this case. As previous people said you can't know that she was lying to you and not the PIP assessment person. Plus, it isn't means tested so it doesn't matter if they work. And if they get cash in hand for a bit of work at the local chippy, it may well be too little for them to pay tax etc on anyway.

ReanimatedSGB Wed 18-Apr-18 16:54:59

Leave them the fuck alone. It is not their fault you didn't get what you are equally entitled to get: other people on benefits are not your enemy. Save your anger for the government deliberately depriving you of what you need.

Ihavenofuckstogive Wed 18-Apr-18 17:02:09

MYOB

ICantCopeAnymore Wed 18-Apr-18 17:08:27

PIP is a working benefit. I'm not sure what people seem to not understand about this.

The mobility component of PIP is to help disabled people to be mobile. To go out and about and to return to work if feasible. That's why they, y'know give you a car if you want one.

lazymum99 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:09:27

From the information you give I'm not sure that benefit fraud has been committed. PIP is extremely difficult to get and doesn't just go by what she says. She needs medical evidence to back it up. Its also not means tested. You can work and earn about £110 pw and still get Carers Allowance too.
Her claim does not affect yours. I hope you appealed your refusal.

vandrew4 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:10:33

I personally know 3 people who have falsely claimed various diability allowances over the last few years. Only on MN do people refuse to believe there is huge abuse of the system going on.
yes, OP. report her

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 18-Apr-18 17:12:12

Pip is a working benefit, yes, but they should be saying that they are working and tax man should be aware of any income.

ICantCopeAnymore Wed 18-Apr-18 17:13:47

Oh, without a doubt, chicken.

I'm just fed up of people thinking that PIP claimants shouldn't do anything or go anywhere, as that's what PIP is supposed to help with. It's very frustrating when you're actually told that you should live life sobbing in bed.

FreudianSlurp Wed 18-Apr-18 17:15:23

Does your moral code depend on the answers you get here?

QuiQuaiQuod Wed 18-Apr-18 17:15:47

Most on MN want people to ignore this and give all the excuses under the sun as to why its a genuine claim.

*I personally know 3 people who have falsely claimed various diability allowances over the last few years. Only on MN do people refuse to believe there is huge abuse of the system going on.
yes, OP. report her*

Totally agree. and OP, report. I'm in the same boat as you regarding disabilities. why and how the hell do so many-and it is many, not a few- get away with it, and genuines have to go to hell and back and fight tooth and nail for just an extras penny?

this realyy pees me off.

BanginChoons Wed 18-Apr-18 17:20:31

I just can't get worked up over this.

caringcarer Wed 18-Apr-18 17:25:26

I'm not sure how she could be well enough to care for her Dad but not well enough to work. It seems contradictory. If she says she cannot even make a sandwich how could she care for him? It seems very odd. She may not be telling you the whole truth.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: