Talk

Advanced search

To leave the children .....

(63 Posts)
siblingrevelryagain Mon 16-Apr-18 20:56:36

I’m canvassing opinion, as I am really torn about whether my idea is ok or madness.

I’m a single parent of 3 children; 11, 9 & 6. I cant exercise regularly due to working full time and childcare, so I thought I could do the following safely; wake the eldest (abt 7, when he’s usually up anyway), he comes downstairs whilst the other two either sleep or watch tv with him (what they do each morning anyway), and I walk around the block for approx 15-20 mins. He has his phone, with instructions to call me if I’m not back within 20/25 mins. If he can’t raise me he is then to call my parents or sister who live nearby.

The children are all sensible and well behaved and wouldn’t attempt to cook or do anything other than sit watching tv until I came home.

My radar is probably not the best to judge; I’m usually overly cautious with safety, but equally I think I’ve mitigated the risks?

Dragongirl10 Mon 16-Apr-18 20:59:33

I wouldn't do that under any circumstances, whilst your eldest is certainly old enough to be left it is a huge responsability if something were to go wrong.

Can't you follow an exercise dvd instead at home?

callies Mon 16-Apr-18 21:00:26

Don’t see the problem really but it sounds a bit militant!

Choosegopse Mon 16-Apr-18 21:01:58

I would do it. Do you have neighbours who would help in an emergency? Or could you do an exercise routine in the garden?

MerryDeath Mon 16-Apr-18 21:02:00

you can do HIIT exercises at home

TaggieRR Mon 16-Apr-18 21:02:30

THere is no way I would leave the 6 y.o at home without an adult.

Ivorbig1 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:04:40

Yabu to leave them to go and exercise, walk after school with them. Have running races, I don’t know but they are too young.

ShawshanksRedemption Mon 16-Apr-18 21:06:00

I would feel uncomfortable about this to be honest as the 11yr old is too young to be put in the position of main carer for two younger siblings.

I would suggest doing a workout at home (either via TV/DVD or different Apps) or walking during lunchtime.

Fuckitbucket13 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:06:20

Couldn't you buy a treadmill?

outofmydepth45 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:06:31

Can you get a treadmill?

Keepingupwiththejonesys Mon 16-Apr-18 21:08:25

Do a home exercise DVD, walk with the kids or do something like stair running (you basically run up and down the stairs). I wouldn't do what you suggested

siblingrevelryagain Mon 16-Apr-18 21:09:01

Thanks for the opinions, they’re appreciated; I will look into home-based exercises!

BringBiscuits Mon 16-Apr-18 21:09:50

I think it depends on your kids really. If you’re just doing walks nearby and could keep popping in then I think your plan will be fine. Boring workout though.

Floralnomad Mon 16-Apr-18 21:10:30

Exercise indoors or go for a walk in your lunch hour instead . Do you have a trampoline , that’s good exercise .

HollowTalk Mon 16-Apr-18 21:10:33

Could you get a treadmill? Or do an exercise DVD? I have to say I wouldn't be comfortable leaving them.

Fruitcorner123 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:11:26

Personally I would wait a year or two. I think 12/ 13 is old enough to be responsible for siblings but maybe 11 is a little young.

RoryGillmoresEvilTwin Mon 16-Apr-18 21:12:08

I'm in a similar position. I need/want to exercise regularly, but as a lp with a 6 year old, I can't actually leave the house without him, and when he's at school I'm at work :/

I'm considering a dvd/YouTube workout because it's my only option. I don't have high hopes of it sticking.
There's something about being able to leave the house and have a run. Getting sweaty jumping about in my living room just sounds a bit shit tbh.

Ikeameatballs Mon 16-Apr-18 21:16:30

It's the 6 year old that would concern me. Dp and I regularly go for walks lasting up to an hour in our local neighbourhood and leave dd (almost 12) and ds(8). They are well versed in what they can do and can't do and can ring either of us on our mobiles. At 6 I think that the littlest of your 3 is potentially too young to grasp the importance of the safety advice you'd give and there is the possibility of the younger two "ganging up" on the oldest.

Thisisanewbeginning Mon 16-Apr-18 21:23:14

I know a parent who leaves her 8 and 3 year old while she runs 5k shock

helpfulperson Mon 16-Apr-18 21:23:17

Could you do it with all of them after school? It does sound like you have a well thought out plan but it is still alot for an 11 year old. Also depends a bit on how far 'round the block' is. Where I live I can walk round the block in about 4 minutes so never more than a couple of minutes away.

Pompom42 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:27:06

My child is 13 and regularly looks after younger one for an hour on their own

PenelopeChipShop Mon 16-Apr-18 21:27:13

I don’t think it sounds horrendous but if all you’re going to do is walk you’d be better off doing a DVD or circuit-type exercises at home, or just waking in the park while they play/ play football with them at the weekend or similar... I totally sympathise though, i’m a LP too and I know how hard it is to squeeze your needs somewhere into the week x

OnTheRise Mon 16-Apr-18 21:28:25

Don't leave your children unaccompanied. It's just not worth the risk.

There are loads of things you can follow along with on YouTube, and lots of good DVDs you can get.

shushpenfold Mon 16-Apr-18 21:28:32

I second HIIT exercise...you’ll get fitter far faster than with a 20 min walk/jog.

LittleOwl153 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:32:31

Stick the youngest on a scooter and chase him/her around the block or wherever - gets me moving! (The older 2 would be fine left to it or can join in!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: