Talk

Advanced search

Out of Date Food

(21 Posts)
JuneBalloon Mon 16-Apr-18 16:20:55

Genuine question... But expecting a slating from at least one MN because there's always a few waiting to tear shreds from innocent posters (or is that just my bad experience?)

Spring cleaning my kitchen today and, as usual, came across a fair amount of out of date food... AIBU to just dump it as it is or should I really open every can/jar, dispose of contents then wash before recycling?

I'll rephrase that, obviously I SHOULD do the decent thing - but WWYD?

SweetMoon Mon 16-Apr-18 16:22:46

How out of date are we talking here? Most things would be fine well past their best before date. Unless it says 'use by' or is years out of date it will probably be ok.

JuneBalloon Mon 16-Apr-18 16:25:19

All 2017... I agree, all my BBE Jan 2018 jars/tins went straight back in the cupboard! Tbh, it's all things I clearly bought for a recipe that was never made as its not stuff we normally eat...

Allmyshilldren Mon 16-Apr-18 16:28:52

Yes, I put it all to one side then when I have time I clear everything out, rinse then recycle. Sorry to sound sanctimonious but I think recycling wherever possible is common human decency.

ScurfyTwiglet Mon 16-Apr-18 16:31:04

Unopened tins and jars are fine years after outside their BB date. I doubt you could tell the difference between a tin of beans bought 10 years ago and one bought 10 days ago. I'd keep and use them.

But as for stuff you're throwing away, yeah, I'd recycle all the jars and tins...

SluttyButty Mon 16-Apr-18 16:32:27

If I find stuff like this I put it in the food waste caddy and rinse and recycle all the tins/jars yes.

Colonelpopcorn Mon 16-Apr-18 16:33:42

Expiry dates of 2017 will still be fine to eat.
And yes I would empty and recycle jars/tins etc.

itallhappensforareason Mon 16-Apr-18 16:33:58

I'm obviously an awful human being but I would just throw it away with the general waste.

CecilyP Mon 16-Apr-18 16:37:41

If it is just BBE, I would generally use up to 12 months after the date. Also, if you Google, you can find out how long individual products actually do keep. Are you sure you couldn't use them for something? If not, the best thing is remove the contents and recycle the tins and jars. If you have food waste recycling, even better.

tillytoodles1 Mon 16-Apr-18 16:40:41

I bought a tinned chocolate pudding that my H likes and he took it away with him when he had a contract that lasted a year. He was away Mon-Fri, and when I went with him to help him pack up, it was still in the cupboard.

My daughter then moved out and took it with her. After two years, she brought it home. It lived in the cupboard for another few years, then we moved house. It finally went in the bin in 2014, when it was three years out of date.

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 16-Apr-18 16:40:52

I've used tinned, jars and packet food years after the expiry date (I think 7/8 years is the longest) and the only thing I've found to have gone bad so far was some suet that was 2 years out of date.

Just put it back in the cupboard and vow to use it this year.

Pinkvoid Mon 16-Apr-18 16:49:57

How odd I would read this, minutes after discovering a can of chickpeas with the expiry March 2017...

carefreeeee Mon 16-Apr-18 16:50:31

to be fair though, if you haven't eaten it during the last 2-4 years it's been in the cupboard, are you really likely to eat it now? may as well throw it out (or give away to friends who really like tinned value veggie curry/confit duck leg in goose fat/other obscure and disgusting food stuff).

I opened a tin of rice pudding last year that dated from the nineties (found in cupboard at ex's house). It did taste a bit odd (but was probably not unsafe)

OliviaBenson Mon 16-Apr-18 16:53:30

If it's 'best before' and not 'use by' you are fine!

Elphame Mon 16-Apr-18 16:57:27

I'd use them - I found quite a few packets of lentils that were bb 2014. They're fine. I'm down to the last half packet now.

I did get rid of the flour - it went to make playdoh as it does deteriorate. Jars and cans though last for years.

JuneBalloon Mon 16-Apr-18 16:57:55

Thank you!

Everything back in the cupboard with the exception of the tinned mackerel (does anyone actual like mackerel???) which is soon to be in the dog/cat.

I am VERY aware that this is but a feeble attempt to make me sound like a relatively decent person - but I DID spoon/wash out and recycle all the out of date curry sauces and pastes I found in the fridge. Still feeling nauseous now... halo

Onesmallstepforaman Mon 16-Apr-18 17:23:54

I opened a jar of peanut butter three weeks ago, couldn't remember buying it. Whilst eating my sandwich I idly turned the jar to read the bb date, it was June 2016. I'm gradually working my way through it and don't seem to be suffering any ill effects.

incorruptibledream Mon 16-Apr-18 17:32:39

common human decency.

Honestly couldn't give less of a shit about recycling. I think we are well past the point of pissing in the wind. Throw it out and get on with your life.

Serialweightwatcher Mon 16-Apr-18 17:35:30

Years ago I would have chucked stuff out even if it had a month left on it, never mind out of date - now I will use best before way after they are out (used some red pesto tonight which went out 4 months ago) and use by stuff a few days after the date is out. Watched a programme a bit ago where some person who decides on use by dates said they make sure there are a good 3-4 days after the actual use by date before it's classed as unusable

mummymeister Mon 16-Apr-18 17:36:08

I wouldn't eat the mackerel actually because of scombroid poisoning risk. other than that I regularly eat out of date tins and packets.

Serialweightwatcher Mon 16-Apr-18 17:36:21

As for the recycling, if I have opened it to use, I will recycle - clearing out cupboards I'm not so good and would have thrown straight in bin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: