Page 2 | To think that the bride's been cheeky here!

(489 Posts)
whywhywhywhywhyyy Sun 15-Apr-18 15:51:40

Alright, so there's a girl I met at uni who's now getting married. We're not close at all, but she's been very kind and invited me to her wedding. Evening only.

As the wedding is hours away, there's only one hotel close by with ridiculous rates, and I'd only be invited from 8:30pm anyway, I'm planning on not going. I went to go and click the 'sorry, can't make it' option on her RSPV website when I saw the ride share list on there.

I've been put down to drive (what appears to be) one of her elderly relatives from my hometown. Never offered this, have never met the elderly relative in question, haven't really spoken to the bride about the wedding at all confused Messaged another friend who's been invited to evening early and is down on the list to rideshare with someone elderly, same thing with her!

I've never declined an invitation so fast. Not sure if I've been invited as a friend or because I've got a car and happen to be from the same place as her relative!

OP’s posts: |
Viviennemary Sun 15-Apr-18 16:01:54

And not even to ask you first. That is super cheeky. You might not even be going by car for all she knows or getting a lift from somebody.

whywhywhywhywhyyy Sun 15-Apr-18 16:03:05

EggysMom She's said she is. She's seeing cheeky bride next week too, so there'll be fallout probably.

CannaeBeErsed Sun 15-Apr-18 16:05:06

Wow. That is some next level cheekyfuckery!

It's GOLD! Love it. Don't forget to come back and let us know what happens next week when your friend sees CFB to tell her hell no!

MardalaRhyme Sun 15-Apr-18 16:05:39

It's happened to me before! Group of friends from school invited to a wedding. All very pleased with the idea of a meet-up. Wedding and reception actually an hour's drive from each other so we all thought great, we will car share and spend the drive catching up as well.

Then we were individually presented by the bride with a list of her relatives she was expecting us to ferry between venues, and a list of individual tasks for the day!

witchofzog Sun 15-Apr-18 16:05:40

That is outrageous. I would not dream of doing this. What if you decided to go but have a drink and not drive? This is not your responsibility.

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Sun 15-Apr-18 16:06:28

I wonder at what point she was going to ask/tell you about this, if you hadn't noticed it on the website?

Advertisement

whywhywhywhywhyyy Sun 15-Apr-18 16:07:44

I'm glad it's not only me this has happened to, I do have to wonder if there's a cheeky fucking bride wedding planner out there suggesting this?

SimonBridges Sun 15-Apr-18 16:08:31

Wasn’t there a post like this a few years ago? Very similar and when the op said she wasn’t going the bride got all huffy and demanded to know how Aunt Enid was going to get there now.

SimonBridges Sun 15-Apr-18 16:09:45

Wedding and reception actually an hour's drive from each other

Who the fuck has the reception an hour away from the wedding?

Aprilmightbemynewname Sun 15-Apr-18 16:10:20

I was once invited to a funeral and then asked if I could fill my 7 seater car with mourners!!

Trinity66 Sun 15-Apr-18 16:11:00

Bloody hell, absolute cheekery

WishingOnABar Sun 15-Apr-18 16:12:33

You’d think you’d at least get a full day invite if she expects you to help with her relatives grin

Purplehammer Sun 15-Apr-18 16:14:13

Is her name Meghan by chance.

bumblenbean Sun 15-Apr-18 16:14:30

What the hell?! Utterly bizarre! How did she know you’d accept and/ or notice that you were meant to be giving someone a lift?! How did she expect you to liaise with the old lady to arrange the lift?! confused

Orangecake123 Sun 15-Apr-18 16:14:41

Oh wow.

CF for sure.

BananasAreTheSourceOfEvil Sun 15-Apr-18 16:15:53

@Aprilmightbemynewname nearly pissed myself laughing when I read that!

I just now have visions of people being crammed into cars, limbs sticking everywhere and great-uncle Bill being shoved in the boot.

AnnieAnoniMouser Sun 15-Apr-18 16:16:18

Priceless.

Please update!

Lweji Sun 15-Apr-18 16:17:19

You could negotiate this. If she wants a ride, ask for free hotel stay and petrol money.

DairyisClosed Sun 15-Apr-18 16:17:49

Do keep us updated OP. I wonder whether she will pretend she never did it in the first place or whether she will 'have it out' with the two of you.

whywhywhywhywhyyy Sun 15-Apr-18 16:17:49

I doubt she'll kick off in person sadly, she's more of a 'vaguely tweet my feelings' kind of girl. My friend is 100% the type of person to bring it up next week though!

I feel sorry for the relatives most of all!

Lweji Sun 15-Apr-18 16:18:34

How did she know you’d accept

Who turns down a wedding invitation? Everyone knows it's a summons.
And her own wedding of all things. Unmissable, of course.

Abouttoblow Sun 15-Apr-18 16:18:38

That is weapons grade cheeky fuckery! grin

Eggzandbacon Sun 15-Apr-18 16:19:40

That is spectacular! Please do update with drama that ensues!

I have been to several weddings that have had massive distances between wedding and reception.
One had a bus that took us one way to reception (it was in a city anyway so lots of options)

The others we’ve ended up with a car full of lost non-drivers/owners. It is quite inconsiderate. One the wedding was in a city centre - reception was literally in middle of nowhere. Would have cost a small fortune in a taxi.

WishingOnABar Sun 15-Apr-18 16:20:43

Look forward to the passive aggressive “you know who your friends are” meme on Facebook op grin

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 15-Apr-18 16:23:08

Brilliant. Poor Aunt Enid.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in