Talk

Advanced search

To think that no one is as dumb as me?

(101 Posts)
Babababababybel14 Thu 22-Mar-18 22:11:29

When I was about 11 I decided to bleach my hair. This was before the internet. So I thought bleaching your hair meant exactly that. As in the stuff you put down the loo. So I poured half a bottle of bleach on my head. Screamed the house down and had to be carted off to a and e. Very painful burns for weeks.
No one can beat that level of idiocy

MissionItsPossible Thu 22-Mar-18 22:12:24

YANBU

OnlyFoolsnMothers Thu 22-Mar-18 22:13:26

Not me but my sister as a kid thought she could get holes in her hair by hole punching it...::hmm

UpstartCrow Thu 22-Mar-18 22:13:58

You were 11 and didn't know any different. My brother made exactly the same mistake except he got it all over the new bathroom carpet. So YABU.

Willthisdoo Thu 22-Mar-18 22:15:03

Who puts carpet in a toilet though??? shock

FissionChips Thu 22-Mar-18 22:15:03

Well, my mother thinks “imbalance of the humors” is an actually thing hmm.

FissionChips Thu 22-Mar-18 22:15:16

Actual*!

Juells Thu 22-Mar-18 22:15:20

I don't think that's a particularly outlandish mistake for a child to make.

Spanneroo Thu 22-Mar-18 22:17:38

My sister got something in her eye as a kid and squirted detol in it because she thought it would help to clean it. It did not. Thankfully, no lasting damage.

FlatKraken Thu 22-Mar-18 22:25:16

There’s a character on Orphan Black who had her entire head dunked in a bucket of bleach as a child and it gave her perfect bleached blonde hair for life.

Aprilmightmemynewname Thu 22-Mar-18 22:27:07

My adult dd warmed a Greggs chocolate muffin for 5 mins.
It was a glowing ember in the microwave!!

OwlinaTree Thu 22-Mar-18 22:28:25

I thought sprouts grew in little rows like cabbages.

Spanneroo Thu 22-Mar-18 22:29:22

Owl they would be so adorable!

Urubu Thu 22-Mar-18 22:31:18

My sister and I tried to smoke grass, as in actual grass from the garden rolled in a piece of actual paper...

Aquamarine1029 Thu 22-Mar-18 22:33:18

One time I went to microwave a bag of popcorn. The correct amount of time was 3:33. I accidentally punched in 33:33. By the time I realised what I had done, the bag was on fire and smoke was filling the house. It took days to get rid of the hideous smell, and I had to throw away the microwave because the stench permeated the whole damn thing.

kimanda Thu 22-Mar-18 22:34:30

@FlatKraken

I love Orphan Black, but that storyline where Helena having her hair bleached, turned it yellow-blonde and frizzy for life was a bit silly. grin

Unless it was meant to be the shock that did it!

CaffeineAndCrochet Thu 22-Mar-18 22:36:06

As an adult, I decided to test the cigarette lighter in my car. With my thumb.

PavlovaPrincess Thu 22-Mar-18 22:36:29

This was before the internet

Yeah, even in the age of internet, I'm sure you could find a website that suggests, nay, recommends that method.

See PP's Orphan Black comments for evidence.

kimanda Thu 22-Mar-18 22:36:34

Did you not wonder why the microwave was carrying on past 3-4 minutes @aquamarine1029?

WhitePhantom Thu 22-Mar-18 22:38:05

My mum's bottle of perfume looked empty, so I peeped into the tiny hole where the perfume sprays out, and pressed... It wasn't empty confused Ouch!

I didn't want to go to the hairdressers because I wanted to grow my hair long, but was told that I had to get the ends cut so that it would grow longer - I also wanted to have long eyelashes, so guess what I did...? grin

And I couldn't understand why if I stood on the scales with only one foot I still weighed the full amount - I thought I should only weigh half.

Also (when I was very young) I couldn't understand why if I wrapped my arms around myself I couldn't pick myself up hmm grin

Katedotness1963 Thu 22-Mar-18 22:47:37

Tested the iron with my index finger, no fingerprint for a while...
Put foil covered cardboard into the electric fire to try and get a light for a cig, it was really bright...
Thought I was too short to worry about closing the upper kitchen cabinet, black eye...
My brother asked what "high tea" was. I said its when you pour it like this, held teapot at arms length, lid came of, got scalded...
Couldn't understand the fuss about the menopause as had it in my mind it lasted exactly 15 minutes...
Decided to repack my hospital bag while in labour and ready to go to hospital. Arrived in the hospital with no toothbrush, no hair brush, no birth plan...

I could go on, but you get the picture...

Sprogletsmuvva Thu 22-Mar-18 22:48:25

When I was a student, there was a bit of ‘faux-poor’ stuff going on with my fellow students (who were generally better off than I was). Anyway, one claimed to have used household bleach on her hair as she “couldn’t afford hair bleach”. I tried the same and to my surprise found it made no difference to the colour (light brown). But it also did nothing to my skin...maybe 11yos are a bit more sensitive than 21yos.

MissClareRemembers Thu 22-Mar-18 22:52:54

When I was about 11 I decided to check to see whether the electric ring on the cooker was heating up. By placing my entire hand flat on it. It was indeed heating up!

Ouch.

ShirleyPhallus Thu 22-Mar-18 22:56:28

I turned the tap on and couldn’t tell if it was hot or cold (mixer tap). So instead of putting my finger under I put my tongue under. It was fucking hot. This was only the other week....

RosaRosaRose Thu 22-Mar-18 22:56:31

I once changed the fuse on a plug and decided to test it before putting the back on. Pushed the open plug into the mains with my thumb. It hurt. Lots.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: