Talk

Advanced search

To STILL be embarrassed

(19 Posts)
Marieamy96 Thu 22-Mar-18 12:24:22

So the other weekend I had too much wine, and thought it would be a good idea to talk to mormons on the LDS website. I've been thinking about the religion for a while and looking into it. I'm going through a phase of finding my spiritual path, now the thing is I can't really remember what I was saying blush

I think I talked about how me and my partner aren't married and the fact he isn't religious. Asked if we could still be intimate if I was baptised blush

I would like to talk to them again but I am so embarrassed blush how can I get over this?

metalmum15 Thu 22-Mar-18 12:27:03

Make sure next time you're not obviously drunk. Mormons don't like alcohol.

Marieamy96 Thu 22-Mar-18 12:29:45

metalmum15 Yeah I guess it was because I'm quite nervous and the alcohol boosted my confidence, I hardly drink as it is.

metalmum15 Thu 22-Mar-18 12:33:44

Don't feel embarrassed about it, just carry on talking to them as you did before. At least if you're sober this time you'll remember what you said!

MojoMoon Thu 22-Mar-18 12:35:25

I would guess 95pc of people talking to them on their website are taking the piss out of them. So they will have heard much worse.

But yes, Mormons don't drink alcohol.

Surely the important thing is not whether you can have sex with your partner if you became a Mormon but whether you believe the stuff about some angel turning up in Utah in the late 1800s with a mysterious tablet or whatever it is they believe in exactly.

metalmum15 Thu 22-Mar-18 12:43:19

More importantly, if your partner isn't religious, have you spoken to him about your interest in Mormons?

HollyBayTree Thu 22-Mar-18 12:47:52

Nicely, if you are looking for a religion - dont pick one that doesnt let you drink coffee or eat tirimasu (it has coffee in it).

I'd also recommend you go and see he musical 'Book of Mormon' to shed some light on the matter.

FizzyGreenWater Thu 22-Mar-18 12:56:15

?!

fruitbrewhaha Thu 22-Mar-18 13:26:53

really?
I'd be more embarrassed about thinking of becoming a Mormon

SapphireSeptember Thu 22-Mar-18 13:31:52

OP, do you live in Cambridgeshire? Because I would love for you to become a Mormon and join my congregation. grin

Don't worry, I'm sure they've heard much worse. I joined the church a few years ago and freaked out some of the missionaries by talking about Wicca, Tarot cards and crystals. I had to marry my long term fiance, because I didn't want to leave him, before I could be baptised. I switched 'normal' tea for rooibos and herbal tea and carried on.

There are some people in my ward who think I'm weird (I am weird, but that's not the point. I was arguing with someone about Evanescence, he thinks they're scary, I disagreed.)

There's a range of Mormons, some are very conservative/orthodox, others are more liberal. I'm very much on the liberal side and I'm terrible at being a Mormon (I aim more for 'decent human being'.) I sometimes wonder what the hell I'm doing here. shrugs

Dunno where I'm going with this, you'll be fine OP.

VladmirsPoutine Thu 22-Mar-18 13:36:54

@fruitbrewhaha That was uncalled for grin

SugarMiceInTheRain Thu 22-Mar-18 13:38:48

Don't worry about being embarrassed, I'm sure they'll be happy to talk to you again. They can put you in touch with local missionaries who can answer any questions you have. Liberal Mormon here too grin

Mummyoflittledragon Thu 22-Mar-18 13:39:55

I personally wouldn’t care less how much I’d embarrassed myself to Mormons. Most are not liberal, no you couldn’t have sex anymore and their track record on treatment women and children isn’t great. Are you into self flagellation? A hair vest will do very nicely. Seriously most people generally strive to leave. Not join. Why not go the whole hog and phone the Scientologists next?

renegadebehaviour Thu 22-Mar-18 14:07:46

So you want to join a group of people who are traditionally a 'bit' racist, a 'bit' homophobic and a 'bit' sexist as well as believing in a big old sky fairy who is reeeallllly judgemental and has a lot of batshit rules you have to live by or your'll burn in hell , but you're worried you embarrassed yourself...not an issue at all, it'll be a lot more embarrassing if you join their gang, plus they will have heard allsorts before, you'll have to be a lot more resilient than that if that is your 'path'.

Marieamy96 Thu 22-Mar-18 19:35:28

SapphireSeptember No I don't unfortunately, would I be able to PM you? I have some questions haha smile

Dangerousmonkey Thu 22-Mar-18 19:51:03

I am curious as to why you would choose a "path" that is a modern religious fiction intended to further misogyny; homophobia and racism?

Anasnake Thu 22-Mar-18 20:02:06

Do they still baptise the dead ??

TempusFugitive Thu 22-Mar-18 20:42:51

Anybody can be a decent human being. Why get baptised in to anotjer religion to be a decent h7man being?

Spam88 Thu 22-Mar-18 21:02:29

anasnake Yep they're still into baptising the dead. My dad has recently returned to the church and I've had stern words about the fact that if I die he is under no circumstances to baptise me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: