Talk

Advanced search

I can't of dropped 40lbs in 9 days...what is going on ?

(190 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Wantacurry Wed 21-Mar-18 09:48:35

I am a very fat 20 stone woman with medical issues.

Currently following a very strict low cal medical eating plan under dietician for the past 9 days, another 13 days to go sad

The digital bathroom scales which are still working correctly for my DH, tells me I have dropped 40 pounds over the last 9 days !

That can't be right, can it ?

I do minimum of 5 miles walking a day (11, 000 steps via Fitbit), 15 minutes of body weight with trx straps exercise x 3 a week and occasional swim at the weekend with my family.

Is this broken scales, water loss or a completed anomoly and I will be much heavier again tomorrow.

Just for completeness. I always use same scales on same point of the floor, when I wake up in the morning. After using toilet but before I step into the shower and naked !

Of course I would be delighted if it was a real loss but logically it just can't be, can it ?

juneau Wed 21-Mar-18 09:53:07

40lbs in 9 days does sound like a lot! That's the entire amount of weight I gained in 9 months of pregnancy. Well, who knows? Just keep going and weigh yourself again tomorrow and see if it was right. If your DH has tried the scales and they're working then ...?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 21-Mar-18 09:55:06

Change batteries in the scales?

CristinaYang Wed 21-Mar-18 09:55:13

OMG what’s the diet?

Wantacurry Wed 21-Mar-18 09:57:03

I want it to be right but logically it can not be. I have to wait 24 hours and weigh myself tomorrow and see.

This morning I weighted myself 4 times in a row just to check the weight and the scale thought I was a guest as I was so far below my last weigh in.

Oh Well, I will enjoy the numbers today and if it was an error. Will get there on my own merits in a couple of months time !

JugglingMummyof2 Wed 21-Mar-18 09:57:23

Have you ever watched The Biggest Loser? People lose enormous amounts in the first week there. Yes some is water weight but I wouldn't rule it out.
That is a decent amount of exercise combined with a VLCD.
Well done (even if it just 10lbs - well done)

TerfsUp Wed 21-Mar-18 09:58:19

Something sounds off to me. If you have lost 40 lbs - although you are heavy - you should notice a difference in your body / how your clothes fit. Have you noticed anything?

If not, it might be a faulty scale.

Lonesurvivor Wed 21-Mar-18 09:58:20

Go to a pharmacy and weigh there. Otherwise even if you change batteries in your own scales you won't really be certain either way.

PaperdollCartoon Wed 21-Mar-18 09:58:44

Something’s up with your scales. It’s also not helpful to weigh yourself every day. You’ll probably lose a good chunk in that time doing what you’re doing, but I don’t think it will be 40lbs.

Lonesurvivor Wed 21-Mar-18 09:59:25

Even on biggest loser there's never been anything close to a 40 pound loss in a week.

bridgetreilly Wed 21-Mar-18 10:02:26

Scales can be less accurate at heavy weights, so that might be part of the issue. If you've lost 40lbs you would definitely be noticing it in the way that your clothes fit and the way that you feel. Have you been tracking e.g. your waist measurement? That would also help to know what's really happening.

I don't think it's impossible that you've really lost a lot of weight, but it seems unlikely that it would be quite so much!

g1itterati Wed 21-Mar-18 10:02:27

I don't think you could have dropped that much in nine days, no. It's almost 3 stone, so that would be a stone every 3 days. Even if you only drank water and were on a treadmill 24/7, you couldn't lose that much weight! Why is your DH reading the scales for you though - surely you can see for yourself? It does sound like you've lost some weight though, so good for you.

JugglingMummyof2 Wed 21-Mar-18 10:02:54

I think 18kg was their record in 7 days and this is 9 days.
My pal lost 16lbs in one week doing weight watchers and wasn't exercising half as much as that.

SillyLittleBiscuit Wed 21-Mar-18 10:03:25

Just googled and read that the biggest loss recorded on The Biggest Loser is 34lbs in 1 week:

NBC's "The Biggest Loser" is all about records. In the past seasons, the weight-loss reality show has repeatedly set new benchmarks for heaviest contestant (454, 476 and 526 pounds), fastest 100-pound weight loss (seven weeks), and most weight lost in one week (34 pounds).

Even if not 40lbs OP you'll have lost a fair amount! Good luck with the next 13 days.

Wantacurry Wed 21-Mar-18 10:04:16

Fodmap diet also excluding high fibre, hi fat and milk based food.

Basically my current food intake is.

Breakfast Two eggs scrambled salt and pepper

Lunch Homemade soup and gluten free dry roll

(Soup has potatoes, carrots, swedes, cabbage, onion and garlic free chicken stock cube salt and pepper)

Tea oven baked white fish or salmon with salt and pepper, plain jacket potato, cabbage.

One daily snack 25g of lightly salted tortilla chips from Asda basic range.

Drink Loads of water and one cup of peppermint tea daily.

Ps. Batteries were replaced in scales a few months ago. They are not due to be replaced for another 9 months or so. But I might do it again to be on the safe side.

kaytee87 Wed 21-Mar-18 10:04:52

Where does op say her DH is reading the scales? confused

Op I doubt you've lost that much weight. Your clothes would be hanging off you and I just don't think it's possible in that little time.

Don't weigh yourself for a week, it's not good to weigh every day.

PavlovaPrincess Wed 21-Mar-18 10:05:02

If you've dropped 40lbs your clothes will be a lot looser. Are they?

You would definitely be able to see some change in your body with that amount.

DisabledUserName Wed 21-Mar-18 10:05:03

Well done for your hard work and commitment. However that doesn't sound right. Are all your clothes hanging off you? I'm sure you would feel a difference yourself losing 40lb that fast. I'm also not sure it's healthy to lose so fast (I know about water loss etc and weight loss happening faster at the start, but even so). Maybe call your dietician.

Wantacurry Wed 21-Mar-18 10:08:07

I do feel like I have lost a fair bit. I would guess 16 lbs and a lot of water smile

My DH does not read my scales for me! Odd idea. I meant he weighed himself and his weight was correct for him...I.e. the scales had not took 40 lbs off his weight too.

I am active during the day, mainly as I am so hungry I need a distraction bit I am not doing anything near the gym work the biggest losers do.

It must be faulty scales or water. I bet I will be back up tomorrow...boo hiss. Lol smile

Lucked Wed 21-Mar-18 10:09:05

It might no be the batteries but the scales might no be accurate at the heavier weight.

Our medical scales at work are ridiculously expensive and they have to undergo frequently recalibration

blueskyinmarch Wed 21-Mar-18 10:11:50

Were you weighed by the medical practitioners before you started? Were you the same weight as weighed by them as you were at home?

DisabledUserName Wed 21-Mar-18 10:12:54

As you are saying you are hungry I hope it's not out of place to suggest a whole food plant based diet is better long term for your health and well being.
Watch forks over knives on Netflix. Read How Not To Die by Dr Michael Greger. So much info on weight loss and preventing diabetes and heart disease as well as many other conditions.
It changed my life and I later went on to develop a huge interest in plant based nutrition and the research evidence backs up everything.
You won't be hungry on whole food plant based as you can eat so much more gram for gram than you can eating meat/ fish /dairy.
E.g. 100 calories is 555grams of tomatoes or 310grams strawberries, whereas only 25 grams cheese or 70 grams chicken breast.
You can literally eat more nutrient dense food. Worth looking in to. Good luck with your journey.

MammaAgata Wed 21-Mar-18 10:15:19

Where on earth does it say your husband reads the scales for you? And the implication that goes with that.. how rude!

Anyhow! I think it’s entirely possible to read 40lbs off, yes it’ll be mainly water and probably over the next few days will adjust up or down until you settle in to the correct weight. You’ve proved the scales work correctly by your husband weighing himself on them. Enjoy it! But don’t do what I do and think ‘yay! I’ve lost loads so now I can relax a bit’ as you know most of it is probably water etc. Always best to eat yourself once a week for a true reflection..

Elementtree Wed 21-Mar-18 10:15:57

I know you've already cleared this up op but if I'd lost 40lbs in a week I'd invite the bloody neighbours around to read the scales before I did my victory lap around the street.

Wantacurry Wed 21-Mar-18 10:16:53

The dietican didn't weigh me. I am on the medical diet to help with my bowel disease issues. So they are looking at symptoms not weight. But clearly I need to lose the weight. I put on 5 stone since being ill and I have to get it off again sad

I will assume the scales are playing up. I bought this particular set of scales as it was meant to be accurate up to 350lbs ! But it is 5 years old now, maybe it is faulty now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: