Talk

Advanced search

What would you do

(18 Posts)
yorkshireteabag Tue 20-Mar-18 21:22:12

My LO has been struck down with the flu, really ill since Friday, not slept or eaten much at all.... fallen asleep tonight before I got chance to change nappy, it's wet, do I wake the poor thing up to change it or just wait until she wakes up? I want to wait but not sure if it's the wrong this to do?

1981m Tue 20-Mar-18 21:24:21

Try and change her without waking her. Just underdo any poppers if you can and whip it on leaving her in the cot as quick and softly as you can. After a while you will find you become a master at this.

Allthewaves Tue 20-Mar-18 21:26:08

If its a disposable I'd leave it. They can hold a tremendous amount of pee.

Allthewaves Tue 20-Mar-18 21:26:48

More than likely she's going to wake sooner or later

jugglingmorethingsthanhands Tue 20-Mar-18 21:28:04

How long has it been on?

NewYearNewMe18 Tue 20-Mar-18 21:28:35

She wont wake up if you change it - but she will wake up when the heat from the wee dissipates and shes cold and wet

GreatDuckCookery Tue 20-Mar-18 21:30:07

Is she likely to wake up during the night other than because her nappy is wet? If not then I would change it now. Poor little thing, hope she's better soon.

yorkshireteabag Tue 20-Mar-18 21:35:52

She will wake up no doubt, she wakes up for boob a few times a night, even when she's not ill she does, 11 months old and I haven't had a full nights sleep yet! It was last changed a few hours ago, maybe 4 hours ago, it really could do with a change but just don't want to disturb her, if I change it she will wake and be really hard to get settled again confused

Snowysky20009 Tue 20-Mar-18 21:42:32

If she's poorly you will probably find that she will sleep through. Also depends how susceptible she is to nappy rash. My ds's hardly ever had it as babies, however my neighbours ds, if he's not change at least every 2-3 hours, comes out in it terribly, and it's always worse when he's unwell (I don't know why- can anyone answer that??)
Hope she's on the mend soon.

Flockoftreegulls Tue 20-Mar-18 21:44:33

The benefit of rest outweighs the wet nappy. Let the little thing sleep and change it when she wakes up.
Hope she is better soon poor baby, you must both be exhausted flowers

NeverTell9871 Tue 20-Mar-18 21:44:43

Personally I'd try to wait until the next feed then do it. Suppose if it's bulging then you'd have to try to just do it softly without waking (is have no chance in hell of doing this successfully!)

Hope she's feeling better soon!

yorkshireteabag Tue 20-Mar-18 21:51:27

Thank you everyone thanks we are both exhausted, I too think the sleep is better for her than a nappy change, shes never had nappy rash so hopefully this one time won't cause it, I will do it when she next wakes up to feed

yorkshireteabag Tue 20-Mar-18 22:27:09

Update.... she woke up already! So nappy changed and crisis averted

Flockoftreegulls Wed 21-Mar-18 05:38:18

How is she doing this morning?

yorkshireteabag Wed 21-Mar-18 19:18:15

Hi @Flockoftreegulls thanks for asking, she's still very congested and a bit grumpy but much better than she was, temperature is down too, her cousins came to see her today and she had a good play so that's great, she still hasn't eaten much solid food though, a few bites at the most since Friday, lots of breast milk.....how long can she go on not eating solids confused

Flockoftreegulls Wed 21-Mar-18 19:36:40

As long as she is drinking she will be fine, and breastmilk is more than just a drink anyway.
Very glad to hear that she is on the mend. Hope you both catch up on some sleep tonight, fingers crossed for you wink

yorkshireteabag Wed 21-Mar-18 20:31:24

So lovely of you @Flockoftreegulls thank you thanks

Flockoftreegulls Wed 21-Mar-18 20:35:42

No problem, I know how horrid it is when they are poorly and everyone is worried and exhausted.
Have an unmumsnetty hug 🤗

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: