Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at no interview feedback after a month?

(17 Posts)
christmastreewithhairyfairy Tue 20-Mar-18 13:18:01

I interviewed with a very well-known respectable company just under a month ago. The hiring manager - an acquaintance of mine - had approached me and asked me to apply for the role. The interview seemed to go ok, and they said they would follow up quickly. 2 weeks later, I politely emailed the HR contact to ask if they'd made a decision. No response so another week later I (again very politely) contacted the interviewer (the one I knew before). Still nothing!

Now, I know that after this amount of time I probably haven't got to the next round. Still I think it's bloody rude to not tell me! Also, I'd like some feedback. On paper I am a good fit for the role so if I said something stupid in the interview to put them off, I need to know...

Is this normal to completely ignore a candidate like this? Should I chase again?

QuiteLikely5 Tue 20-Mar-18 13:19:55

Approach the acquaintance directly?

christmastreewithhairyfairy Tue 20-Mar-18 13:20:58

Sorry that's what I meant - my second follow up was to the acquaintance, who was the main interviewer

DeadGood Tue 20-Mar-18 13:21:02

YANBU OP. Bad form.
You should probably chase again, but tbh if I were you I’d just take it as a ‘no’ and realise that I don’t want to work there anyway.
Better luck with your next one!

christmastreewithhairyfairy Tue 20-Mar-18 13:25:42

I know! But my self esteem has been low recently and this uncertainty isn't helping. I'm hoping to at least get some constructive criticism.

Is there any chance they are still deciding and if I chase again it would put them off? Or alternatively make me look proactive? <clutches at straws>

Telstar99 Tue 20-Mar-18 13:26:13

I agree with asking the acquaintance you know.

How bizarre to have not heard, and how rude!

Not GCHQ is it?

GCHQ are the WORST for keeping people hanging on for months with no response, and then messaging them out of the blue, and expecting them to travel all the way to the south west of England for the next stage of interviewing. (At the applicants own expense!) hmm

(And then they don't contact them AGAIN for several months, and rinse and repeat.....)

christmastreewithhairyfairy Tue 20-Mar-18 13:55:42

Not GCHQ - it's a naice private sector company. <makes note never to apply to GCHQ>

Whenever I'm hiring I have always got back to candidates within a week. Even if it's just a holding email to say we are still deciding.

My acquaintance is ignoring me! I sent him a LinkedIn message which he is usually good at replying to. Running out of people to ask angry

Hont1986 Tue 20-Mar-18 13:57:57

I'm surprised you expected to hear back, let alone get feedback.

In my experience it's the norm not to hear back at all unless you got it.

christmastreewithhairyfairy Tue 20-Mar-18 14:16:49

Really Hont1986, if you had an interview with someone you knew you wouldn't expect to hear anything back? That is news to me, I had no idea that was normal. Not hear back if you have just sent CV in, fine, but I have always heard back/ fed back after interview. Maybe I'm just behind the times!

flimflaminurjams Tue 20-Mar-18 14:22:04

Think if your acquaintance is ignoring you, then its probably a no.

But YANBU to not hear back at all. FWIW DP never heard back from an interview he went to 6 months ago. I wouldn't mind but its all done via an electronic system so it doesn't even need a phone call, just an autogenerated email and they couldn't be bothered sending that.

Just rude, but it seems to be the way it goes now. Sorry flowers

christmastreewithhairyfairy Tue 20-Mar-18 14:25:55

Thanks flimflam. Without wanting to sound like my grandmother, when did everyone become so rude?! Oh well, onwards and upwards smile

GeorgeW78 Tue 20-Mar-18 14:30:42

They might have a preferred candidate and they've put you on the back burner until that person starts in case it doesn't happen when they can come forward saying you were our first choice?! It's more likely a no but as they asked you to apply I don't see the harming asking that person what happened.

christmastreewithhairyfairy Tue 20-Mar-18 14:32:54

True. That did actually happen to me once - I had given up on a role but they eventually came back to me once their first choice turned it down. It was a great role so despite feeling second best I did take it!

AccidentallyRunToWindsor Tue 20-Mar-18 14:52:51

In house recruiter here- big company,household name etc
it's really poor form to ignore you totally, you shouldn't have to chase really, I usually send holding emails if a decision hasn't been made so at least candidates aren't kept hanging on and if I am chased I tell the candidate what I've done 'I've called Dave the Hiring manager and left a message asking for an update'

I do have a candidate right now who I am having to keep holding on because the hiring managers are Fannying around with an offer for someone else which directly affects this offer, the candidate thinks she's a no, she's not but I can't quite say that yet- maybe that's what's happening here?

christmastreewithhairyfairy Tue 20-Mar-18 15:26:56

Thanks Accidentally. It's good to know it's not just me that finds this unusual and annoying.
I wish all recruiters were like you grin

EnglishRose13 Tue 20-Mar-18 18:51:50

Last summer I interviewed for a role. I found out after an age that I had made it to the final two. They took so long to come back to me that I withdrew my application.

Today I was approached by a different recruitment agency, recruiting for the same role.

It's possible that they're just really slow to make decisions, and you need to consider if that's the kind of company you want to work for.

christmastreewithhairyfairy Tue 20-Mar-18 22:30:00

Wow that is really slow! I know what you mean, the whole thing has put me off somewhat. But then again my last employer (also well known name, very much "nice guy" image) was also a bastard to their employees so I'm starting to feel cynical that any company treats people well

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: