Talk

Advanced search

Just had the weirdest meeting with solicitor, AIBU?

(37 Posts)
SweatySocks Tue 20-Mar-18 12:05:44

Had to meet with solicitor today. We sat down and he starts by asking my full name, date of birth and then asking if I was male or female! I'm very clearly female but answered him politely.
Next he's talking to me and screwing up pieces of paper and firing them around the room as he did so. Very offputting so I joked and said "do you have someone to come in and clean all them up for you?" And he stayed dead serious and said "yes"!?

As the meeting progressed the carpet was getting absolutely covered in these little paper balls, they were all over the desk and chairs, it was getting ridiculous. A few started getting fired in my direction so I asked him to stop as it was making me feel uncomfortable and he said it's stress relief - surely not?

WunWegWunDarWun Tue 20-Mar-18 12:07:08

I would have left and mentioned it to any other staff there in case he was having a breakdown.

WiggyPig Tue 20-Mar-18 12:12:33

I think I would raise it with their practice manager.

Either he is a brilliant eccentric whose fondness for throwing paper missiles at clients is excused by his astonishing legal abilities or he just thinks he is. Or as Wun says he might be having a breakdown.

Dipitydoda Tue 20-Mar-18 12:20:14

If you try ringing him in a week he’ll be off long term sick

YetAnotherSpartacus Tue 20-Mar-18 12:36:44

For some reason, I'm seeing the 'Angel' Michael from The Good Place in the lead male role here.

Tinkobell Tue 20-Mar-18 12:41:06

I hope the purpose of your meeting wasn't remotely stressful....else it might tip him over the edge! Cock!

Scabetty Tue 20-Mar-18 12:42:33

Wtf? Weird.

OyO Tue 20-Mar-18 12:43:37

I thought this was going to be a joke.

What’s your AIBU? To think he’s weird? If so, no.

FloatyFlo Tue 20-Mar-18 12:45:30

Is this somehow related to the dream thread?

If not I'm so confused

toomanyweeds Tue 20-Mar-18 12:46:14

For some reason, I'm seeing the 'Angel' Michael from The Good Place in the lead male role here.

😂😂😂

toomanyweeds Tue 20-Mar-18 12:47:23

Was it family law/criminal law/something else?

Don't know why in asking, just nosy.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 20-Mar-18 12:48:22

What was the meeting regarding? Broadly speaking if you don't want to out yourself.

It all sounds totally odd. This sounds like the makings of a person on the cusp of a breakdown. Or someone that no longer gives any fucks and wants to make a point of it.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 20-Mar-18 12:50:03

Well as you've name changed or joined for this then spill the beans.

cockupparent Tue 20-Mar-18 12:51:57

I think he's having a breakdown

HariboIsMyCrack Tue 20-Mar-18 12:54:14

Breakdown.

Backscratchesforever Tue 20-Mar-18 12:55:20

Perhaps he is training for a paperball throwing world record?

Backscratchesforever Tue 20-Mar-18 12:56:23

Perhaps he has a brain tumour? That can affect behaviour also i saw it on greys anatomy

onalongsabbatical Tue 20-Mar-18 12:56:50

This morning, having watched Cambridge Analytica shoot themselves on camera, I'd be inclined to think he's another privileged male smug powerful bastard who thinks he can do what he likes and it's entertaining to everyone. But that's probably just me, and apologies if it's a bit of a derailment...

BrazzleDazzleDay Tue 20-Mar-18 12:59:28

Im sure ive read the paper throwing plot in a book... harlan coben maybe? hmm

StaplesCorner Tue 20-Mar-18 13:09:27

So surely you will be instructing a new solicitor?

littlemisscomper Tue 20-Mar-18 13:09:39

He sounds like a character from P.G Wodehouse!

Sanderz Tue 20-Mar-18 13:09:43

Why can't he just bite his nails like the rest of us?

KitKat1985 Tue 20-Mar-18 13:20:56

That is odd. Was he 'normal' in every other sense?

Comeymemo Tue 20-Mar-18 13:22:11

Partner in a global law firm here. Definitely not normal behaviour. Lawyers usually bend over backwards to get/retain clients. Competition is very strong. Take your business elsewhere. Most of us are normal people 🙂

OyO Tue 20-Mar-18 13:24:16

I’m going for either:

1. He had a fling with the cleaner and she never returned his calls. Cleaner also has a paper allergy.

2. He’s NQ and saw a lawyer do it in a film once.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: