Talk

Advanced search

Cambridge Analytica.

(101 Posts)
onalongsabbatical Tue 20-Mar-18 11:16:56

I'm going to be in London next week visiting the British Museum, among other thoroughly respectable activities. Headquarters of Cambridge Analytica are round the corner. AIBU to be sorely tempted to go and smear something nasty on their windows? Or at least go and give them a big, nasty stare - Paddington-bear-like?

user1466690252 Tue 20-Mar-18 11:18:22

I don't fully understand this story so following to hopefully learn more

falsepriest Tue 20-Mar-18 11:20:25

Think they're doing their own smearing with the shit that's hitting the fan grin

onalongsabbatical Tue 20-Mar-18 11:29:07

It's about data, user, being harvested from Facebook in order to rig elections. It's the lowest of the low, they think they are cleverer than the rest of us and we're here to be manipulated. If you watch the Channel 4 news report they really are so smug and arrogant they actually chuckle about covert filming and dopping politicians in the shit to discredit them - whilst THEY are being covertly filmed themselves! Well done to the Observer and the New York Times and Channel 4 for collaborating on this and bringing them to light. They undermine democracy and them and their like have been behind - probably - so much that's happened in the last few years. In terms of being a manipulative influence behind the scenes. Trump and in all probability Brexit too. I'm fucking furious with them. I'm a sweet old granny but really tempted to go and press my nose to their windows next week - or worse!

frankchickens Tue 20-Mar-18 11:29:25

The UK and USA have almost uniquely shit voting systems that make this sort of shit more pivotal - elections decided by influencing tiny numbers of people in a few seats.

onalongsabbatical Tue 20-Mar-18 11:30:14

Falsepriest they are indeed I'd just like to help them along to their downfall. grin

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Tue 20-Mar-18 11:31:07

Do it. Thank goodness for whistleblowers (although shame he didn't whistle far earlier!).

user1466690252 Tue 20-Mar-18 11:32:16

thank you or explaining it in a way I understand, how utterly vile, I'm assuming this is illegal?! It does seem our laws are very old fashioned when it comes to certain aspects of modern life, social media and fake news being one huge issue

GrannyGrissle Tue 20-Mar-18 11:34:02

Yes go and conduct a one woman dirty protest. We'll crowdfund your bail money grin

frankchickens Tue 20-Mar-18 11:36:10

does seem our laws are very old fashioned

I agree - I had a chuckle about the information commissioner seeking an urgent court warrant to enter the London headquarters of Cambridge Analytica.

As if they are going to find anything in the office.

onalongsabbatical Tue 20-Mar-18 11:36:23

Granny grin that's a tempting offer... how long would I get banged up for breaking a teeny window with a hammer, I wonder? Whilst looking old and innocent?

fannythrobbing Tue 20-Mar-18 11:36:54

I'd contribute to a crowdfund for your legal fees! Do it!

onalongsabbatical Tue 20-Mar-18 11:38:09

Yes they've been seeing this urgent warrant all bloody night - meanwhile mass deletion going on, no doubt. The law needs to catch up with the modern age and have provision for urgent meaning instant in these kind of cases.

user1466690252 Tue 20-Mar-18 11:38:44

Yea, exactly! we beleive we live in a democracy, but it's proven that we are being lied to. Uproar at Putin "rigging" elections but how is this so different? It is a huge issue that has impacted the world, and the response is to raid the office 🤔

onalongsabbatical Tue 20-Mar-18 11:39:30

So I have the support of Granny and fanny grin

MinnieMousse Tue 20-Mar-18 11:39:57

user CA broke FB rules (and largely got away with it) by saying the data was being collected for academic purposes then using them commercially. They say they were unaware they were breaking any rules (a third-party firm harvested the data and CA bought it) and that they deleted the data when they were told they'd broken rules. This was conveniently after they had used the data.

Such data was clearly used with the intention of manipulating voters - they were paid by the Trump campaign and have links to the Leave campaign but I'm not sure if this is illegal. I suspect our laws surrounding electoral interference haven't really caught up with technology and social media.

MinnieMousse Tue 20-Mar-18 11:40:32

x-post!

Lethaldrizzle Tue 20-Mar-18 11:41:18

Surely it would be more subtle to play them at their own game. A bit of covert filming honey trapping with Latvian ladies would do the trick.

PaddyF0dder Tue 20-Mar-18 11:43:06

Rule number 1: if you’re not paying, you are not the customer. You are the product.

Am I the only one who’s neither surprised or outraged? Social media has always been a Faustian pact.

frankchickens Tue 20-Mar-18 11:43:39

What amazes me (I don't suppose it should) is that they have been caught bang to rights and still seem to think they can wriggle out of it.

Maybe they have some dirt on some important people.

onalongsabbatical Tue 20-Mar-18 11:44:26

Lethaldrizzle you gorgeous enough to volunteer for that bit? Cos I'm not.

frankchickens Tue 20-Mar-18 11:46:43

PaddyF0dder I agree and I've always tried to balance that Faustin pact - but the C4 revelations go some way beyond a bit of data misuse.

I encourage anyone who hasn't seen the C4 revelations to take a look. There's a senior exec of CA talking about "sending Ukrainian girls" around to a candidate they wish to discredit.

onalongsabbatical Tue 20-Mar-18 11:47:14

* PaddyF0dder * I'm not surprised, but it's the difference between knowing that some awful shit's going on and seeing the smug little shits on screen actually doing it and realising stuff like, oh, it's another Eton boy! Really? Can we close Eton down maybe?

PerkingFaintly Tue 20-Mar-18 11:47:22

Reasonable summary so far from the BBC, in case it helps (Includes advice at the bottom about protecting your data):
Cambridge Analytica: The story so far
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43465968

Parts 1 and 2 of the Channel 4 series Data, Democracy and Dirty Tricks: #CambridgeAnalyticaUncovered are found here:

Part one: The Whistleblower
Part two: Revealed: Trump’s election consultants filmed saying they use bribes and sex workers to entrap politicians
www.channel4.com/news/data-democracy-and-dirty-tricks-cambridge-analytica-uncovered-investigation-expose

There'll more tonight in the 7 pm C4 news. Five parts in total – I guess they'll all be added on that link.

PerkingFaintly Tue 20-Mar-18 11:59:53

If you watch the Channel 4 news report they really are so smug and arrogant they actually chuckle about covert filming and dopping politicians in the shit to discredit them - whilst THEY are being covertly filmed themselves!

I know!grin I mean it's all very wrong and worrying in all sorts of ways – but the irony was extremely amusing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: