Talk

Advanced search

…to think it doesn't take 45 minutes to cook fish finger sandwiches?

(99 Posts)
WazFlimFlam Mon 19-Mar-18 19:58:40

Bear with me, I am in early pregnancy, tired and grumpy and have a funny appetite.

I suggested fish finger sandwiches for dinner as I wanted something easy that wasn't going to make me feel sick. DH suggested he sort it out. Nice. Fine.

They have just been served up 45 minutes later. He was in the kitchen the whole time. AIBU to think this is a bit ridiculous?

Supermagicsmile Mon 19-Mar-18 20:00:22

Seems about right to me. 20 mins for he oven to heat up, 20 mins to cook them!

Ihatemyclients Mon 19-Mar-18 20:00:58

Maybe a bit longer than I would expect but I wouldn't make a fuss if they've now been served if it were me - hope you enjoy your sandwich and feel better soon!

PurpleDaisies Mon 19-Mar-18 20:01:55

It depends on your oven.

Ihatemyclients Mon 19-Mar-18 20:02:33

@Supermagicsmile ooh forgot about oven heating time! You're right, 45 mins is probably about right if the oven isn't the fastest

Bundlesmads Mon 19-Mar-18 20:02:38

Did he put tartar sauce on? If not, LTB.

PurpleDaisies Mon 19-Mar-18 20:02:49

In the nicest possible way, if you’re tired and grumpy, maybe he was hiding from you in the kitchen?

MotherofDinosaurs Mon 19-Mar-18 20:06:28

My husband does this! It invariably takes him twice as long as me to cook anything. He has no time management skills and does a lot if fannying round. Drives me nuts!

Ellieboolou27 Mon 19-Mar-18 20:06:50

I can do freezer to plate in 20-25 mins, seriously 45 minutes!

To those who’s ovens take 20 minutes to heat you need to replace your ovens shock

pinkpopcorn Mon 19-Mar-18 20:09:00

If you fry the fingers (then they go lovely and crispy) then it takes 5 minutes smile

dingdongdigeridoo Mon 19-Mar-18 20:10:24

Heating up your grill is quicker than pre-heating an oven. So 5 minutes, plus 15 minutes of grilling, plus 2 minutes to stick between bread.

YANBU.

TeachesOfPeaches Mon 19-Mar-18 20:10:46

Fish fingers take 12 minutes.

DogWoman123 Mon 19-Mar-18 20:11:58

This is a 20 min tops job in our house.

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 19-Mar-18 20:12:02

Fishfingers can cook while the oven is warming.

WazFlimFlam Mon 19-Mar-18 20:13:03

I haven't made a fuss. I have been very grateful and scoffed them down, and yes he did bring me tartare sauce. But he has form for this, it has caused rows in the past, and I am wondering just how much of a cow I am being.

bridgetreilly Mon 19-Mar-18 20:13:18

I am amazed that anyone waits for their oven to heat up for something like fishfingers. Baking, sure. But fishfingers? No way.

LittleMissNaice Mon 19-Mar-18 20:13:44

Did he also use five pans, all the knives and a mixing bowl? Or is that just my DP?

Vandree Mon 19-Mar-18 20:14:26

My husband does this and im also grumpy and in early pregnancy. He famously took 2 hours to cook pasta pesto (jarred peso) and im not joking. He faffs about on his phone, puts away the dishes, reads cracked, then turns on the oven, has a drink, goes to the loo, wipes a counter with a manky cloth, eats a few biscuits, reads some emails, finally remembers to put in fish fingers, sets timer and reads his phone until it beeps. An hour easy just on fish fingers, another 10 minutes to butter the bread.

Luckily tonight he saw the tired grumpy face and while he was making sausage rolls(12 minutes to reheat) and beans for himself he handed me a toasted sandwich and even had a back up one in the sandwich toaster for seconds. He has had lots of training in feeding early pregnant wives. You need to have a cry that your hungry and ask him to bring you snacks while you wait for your gourmet fish fingers.

Vandree Mon 19-Mar-18 20:15:21

PS i never wait for the oven to heat up. Turn it up a bit higher and cook a few minutes longer is my M.O. Cant be doing with waiting around once I decide to cook.

theSnuffster Mon 19-Mar-18 20:17:00

Yeah my OH can take ages to cook something that should be really quick and simple. I think it's his way of suggesting I do it myself. MIL takes ages too, because she pre-heats her oven for bloody ages! Sometimes for longer than it takes to actually cook the food!

Tentomidnight Mon 19-Mar-18 20:17:13

3 mins for grill to preheat.
Fishfingers in..
5 mins 1st side
3 mins 2nd side
Get bread out whist fishfingers are grilling
1 min to assemble
= 12 mins smile

Takfujuimoto Mon 19-Mar-18 20:17:33

I think you really have nothing to grumble about, he cooked you what you wanted and if it is edible than calm down eat it and say thank you.

With our second DH asked me what I wanted for dinner on our first night home as I wasn't up for cooking (c section) and asked for Jacket potato with some cauliflower & broccoli cheese which was already made just needed to cook, 2.5hrs later I was served with uncooked but hot potato and Luke warm slightly melted C&B cheese.

I cried. 😂

It's better now but that was a bad one off.

I'd be chuffed with a fish finger sandwich!

NotUmbongoUnchained Mon 19-Mar-18 20:17:39

I have never in my life preheated an oven. Fish fingers take 10 minutes

BTatemyhamster Mon 19-Mar-18 20:18:06

sainsburys chunky ff take 22mins at 200 and it takes our oven 25 mins or so to heat up. our oven is slow to heat though. but yeah 45 mins not so outlandish (if thick ff).

LivininaBox Mon 19-Mar-18 20:19:41

Don't you make your fishfingers from scratch?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: