Talk

Advanced search

Lighthearted AIBU

(7 Posts)
rockinghorse3256 Mon 19-Mar-18 16:53:35

This happened afew months ago and was just talking to a friend about something similar and it came up. Thought I would get mumsnetters opinions.
Having lunch with DH at a restaurant heavily pregnant. Waiter making small talk asking different questions about the baby including the gender. When I said girl he turned to DH and went 'ohh gutted' DH said no he's more than happy to be having a daughter. To which waiter said 'yeah right every man wants a son.' Safe to say he didn't get a tip. My friend found it hilarious I didn't tip him. I did feel guilty after as I suppose he was only making conversation. WIBU not tipping him? (This is only lighthearted I hadn't thought of it until today and my friends reaction made me wonder)

AthenasOwl Mon 19-Mar-18 17:06:13

I'm gobsmacked that someone actually said that to you. Saddened in fact.
No you're right not to tip him, I'd have been really insulted at the insinuation that my unborn daughter was somehow less than or unwanted because she's a girl.
The fact that this attitude still exist is proof that we have a long way to go.
Congratulations btw x

KatnissK Mon 19-Mar-18 17:08:31

Geez who was your waiter? Henry VIII? What an idiot. I think most parents are agreed that what they want are healthy babies! I wouldn't have tipped either.

MonsteraDeliciosa Mon 19-Mar-18 17:13:08

"Aww, how lovely" is the correct response to any info about an expected baby, not "Aw, gutted" What a twat, hope no poor girl ever ends up with him as a father.

I wouldn't have tipped either.

user1485778793 Mon 19-Mar-18 17:17:48

He wasn't making conversation he was being rude. Defiantly no tip for him.

KalindaBlack Mon 19-Mar-18 17:21:53

Yes it was the wrong thing to say, but maybe the waiter was just making conversation and just got it wrong. Not everyone can it get it right, small talk is difficult for some. Not leaving a tip is also fine, that is entirely up to you.

Fromage Mon 19-Mar-18 17:44:11

I would tip his manager. And the tip would be 'train your staff not to be such sexist arseholes' and I would be put off going back tbh.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: