Talk

Advanced search

To ask what vegetables you don't like?

(188 Posts)
Babawoollysheep Sun 18-Mar-18 22:58:35

I've always thought of myself as being a fussy eater and as someone who doesn't really like veg.

I know I am fussy in that for example, I like bacon crispy and gag if I get a big stringy bit of fat in a bacon sandwich. I can't stand getting gristle in a sausage or burger, basically I'm not a big fan of processed meat. I don't like unexpected bones in food.

When I really think about it though there is only one vegetable that I can think of that I dislike and that's broccoli.

I like all fruit I can't think of a single one I don't like. I'm not saying I'd relish a plate of sprouts, but I love salad and eat most veg if cooked and seasoned well. If I was to go round the fruit and veg aisle literally the only thing I wouldn't like to eat is the broccoli.

I wonder if I'm not that fussy after all.

flissfloss65 Sun 18-Mar-18 23:01:15

Broad beans, that horrid furry texture.

DumbledoresApprentice Sun 18-Mar-18 23:01:20

There aren’t any veg that I dislike that I can think of.
I dislike mushrooms but they aren’t really vegetables so don’t know if you’d count that.

Velvetbee Sun 18-Mar-18 23:02:26

Okra. Bleugh!

PaperdollCartoon Sun 18-Mar-18 23:03:34

Fennel. Not into the aniseed thing. But I like most food, I’m not fussy at all (though I no longer eat meat, but not because I don’t like it) I love broccoli. Veg in general is fab.

FissionChips Sun 18-Mar-18 23:04:14

The only veg I tolerate is carrot, cucumber, heart of a cabbage (all raw) and potato in French fry/crisp and a particular instant mash.

Yambabe Sun 18-Mar-18 23:04:24

Aubergines. They are the very poo of the devil sad

MissBax Sun 18-Mar-18 23:04:28

Mushrooms (if they count). It's actually bordering on a phobia!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 18-Mar-18 23:04:33

Kale. Over boiled School dinner veg.

museypants Sun 18-Mar-18 23:04:51

Cauliflower, the smell of it turns my stomach, eurgh.

justlurking1 Sun 18-Mar-18 23:04:58

Green beans. They squeak on my teeth and sometimes have weird stringy bits that are impossible to chew.

RitaMills Sun 18-Mar-18 23:05:51

Aubergine, well whenever I try to cook it. I did go to a Brazilian restaurant once and tried it fried in a tempura like batter and it was lovely, I can’t seem to recreate it at home though. I’ve given up wasting aubergines now.

WorraLiberty Sun 18-Mar-18 23:06:07

I don't like sprouts but can force them down to be polite.

I'm totally underwhelmed by cauliflower but again, I can eat it.

I think probably the only veg that makes me gag, is overcooked, thick cut carrots. I can tolerate thinly sliced batons, if they've not been cooked to long and I also love raw carrots.

The only fruit I hate is avocado.

Oh and I just remembered I hate celery.

BuzzKillington Sun 18-Mar-18 23:06:20

Yes, broad beans. My mil brings us mountains that she's grown. Or she did until last year I said, 'we all hate them!'

I also detest cabbage, sprouts and cauliflower.

annoyedofnorwich Sun 18-Mar-18 23:06:34

Peppers.

Sophisticatedsarcasm Sun 18-Mar-18 23:06:51

Cauliflower, Brussels and aubergine 🤢🤢

WorraLiberty Sun 18-Mar-18 23:07:22

And beetroot blush

frasier Sun 18-Mar-18 23:08:09

Broad beans and butter beans (what even were those? Had them at school but never since).

Taste like cardboard.

DramaAlpaca Sun 18-Mar-18 23:08:36

Celery. Bleurgh. Disgusting stuff. It's the only vegetable I don't like. I like all fruits apart from peaches & gooseberries.

I'm with you on fat & gristle on meat, I can't bear it & I don't think that makes me fussy.

RoseWhiteTips Sun 18-Mar-18 23:09:03

Beetroot is the only one. I love vegetables.

Sophisticatedsarcasm Sun 18-Mar-18 23:09:25

Also don’t like cucumber 🤢 I like more veg than fruit. I hate avocado, pineapple so much so I’d go as far as to say I’m allergic just to avoid it and don’t really like coconut but don’t mind some coconut flavoured stuff. But try to avoid it.

Lifeaback Sun 18-Mar-18 23:09:41

Am thinking maybe it's more a texture/sensory issue than being fussy? I eat a really broad range of foods and have no issue with the taste of things but th texture of certain foods makes me gag just thinking about them- e.g. Mushrooms, mayonnaise.

Only veg I don't like is mushrooms and celery

RitaMills Sun 18-Mar-18 23:10:11

Oh I forgot about beetroot, I actually hate that more than the damn aubergines.

LittleMysPonytail Sun 18-Mar-18 23:10:47

Celery. I love vegetables but the taste, texture and smell makes it the one food (aside from being a vegetarian) that I just cannot eat.

Onlyoldontheoutside Sun 18-Mar-18 23:11:04

Parsnips(including parsnip wine),celery and boiled cabbage,I like it raw and I like red cabbage with apples.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: