Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at having to pay for this car to be re-sprayed?

(232 Posts)
emmabrown123 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:39:08

Before I start I'll just say - I know I have to pay for this!! I'm just wondering where I stand about knowing whether I'm being a bit diddled or not!!

My 3 year old son was riding his bike along the pavement and as he came round the corner there was a car (brand new Audi) parked taking up the majority of the pavement. His Dad was behind him and shouted at him to stop, he didn't and subsequently scratched the car, over 2 panels.

We wrote a note explaining the damage, took some pictures and left it at that. The scratch was long but didn't look too deep.

That was about 10 days ago, today we've had a message from the owner saying it's going to a garage tomorrow and may need a full respray of both panels.

My husband thinks that's rubbish and that it could be sorted without respraying, I have no knowledge on the subject.

We will obviously cover the cost, although it bloody irks me because the car was (and always is) parked ridiculously and blocking the pavement for anyone pushing a buggy / in a wheelchair. My question is - is there anything I can do to check that they're not having a respray when they don't need one?! And is there anyway I can lower the cost (prices ranging from a couple of hundred to over a grand have been bandied about) as I'm not sure where we're going to find the money as yet!!!

Or do I just suck it up and find some way to pay it?!!

Whisky2014 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:41:41

Mmm I have scratched my own car panel before and wasn't deep but needed a respray. Think you need to suck it up unfortunately

Nicknacky Sun 18-Mar-18 16:42:09

Suck it up. If it was my car I would be getting it fixed properly and if that was a respray then that’s what I would get.

I would be more annoyed at my husband for letting him get so far ahead he couldn’t stop him if need be.

Does your house insurance cover it?

43percentburnt Sun 18-Mar-18 16:42:32

Do you have public liability insurance on your home insurance?

ILoveMyMonkey Sun 18-Mar-18 16:43:29

Hell no, I wouldn't be paying for that. If you park illegally on the pavement then any accidental damage to your car is tough shit and maybe he'll learn to park more responsibly next time!

If you're certain you want to pay then could you go through your car insurance? I wouldn't take the owners word for it.

follybodger Sun 18-Mar-18 16:44:01

You cannot do a smart repair on metal panels only plastic bumpers so you will need to spray both panels plus blend on both sides.

Having said that I wouldn't be paying full cost for damage caused by parking on the pavement tbh

emmabrown123 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:44:23

Ooh I don't know about the house insurance but I'll look into it now. Thank you!!

Are we talking hundreds or thousands for a respray.

And yes - I was annoyed at DH!!!

Lovestonap Sun 18-Mar-18 16:44:32

I'll be honest, if it was parked on the pavement (ie illegally) I wouldn't cover the cost. The pavement is for your infant to be safe on. I'd let him take me to court.

Nocabbageinmyeye Sun 18-Mar-18 16:44:51

I wouldn't be paying for it either, no way, you park on the path you risk these things happening and that's why you pay insurance

emmabrown123 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:45:56

Is it actually illegal to be parked on a pavement though? I tried googling it but couldn't find much info!

CouldYouBeMorePacific Sun 18-Mar-18 16:46:26

I wouldn't pay either. He shouldn't have been on the footpath.

Smoothyloopy Sun 18-Mar-18 16:47:18

Parked on the pavement the owner is the one who should suck it up!

NinjagoNinja Sun 18-Mar-18 16:47:55

Where are you? In London it's illegal to park on the pavement. Maybe not everywhere.

I would refuse to pay. It may not be illegal to park on the pavement, but it is stupid and inconsiderate. Your didn't damage the car on purpose. I would ignore.

florandfauna Sun 18-Mar-18 16:48:53

Did you photos show the car was parked on the pavement?
Maybe you could come to some sort of joint arrangement.

hibbledibble Sun 18-Mar-18 16:49:05

If he was parked on the footpath I would be questioning whether you need to pay at all. Perhaps get some legal advice on this. Your home insurance may provide access to legal advice.

GreenVoyage Sun 18-Mar-18 16:49:22

Fuck that. He was parked illegally on the pavement. Tough shit IMO. You shouldn't have left a note! Don't pay.

EllieMe Sun 18-Mar-18 16:49:25

I wouldn't have left a note. Shouldn't have parked there.

TittyGolightly Sun 18-Mar-18 16:49:32

I wouldn't be paying for that. If you park illegally on the pavement

It’s not illegal to park on the pavement in 95% of the UK.

emmabrown123 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:49:45

No, not in London. It seems like everywhere else it's just 'advised' that you don't block the pavement!!

The other thing to consider is these people are my neighbours - I don't want them to hate me!

IceBearRocks Sun 18-Mar-18 16:49:53

He shouldn't be parked on the pavement... It wouldn't have happened if he was on the road !!!

emmabrown123 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:50:58

Yes - the pictures show where the car was parked. I'm actually dealing with the dad of the person who's car it is so I'm not sure he knows how and where the car was parked when it happened!

Ididnothearthat Sun 18-Mar-18 16:51:31

In london borough its illegal but outside highway code states should not due to obstructions for pedestrians. I would not pay and let them try enforce it.

JacquesHammer Sun 18-Mar-18 16:51:46

Ignore the bad advice - it isn't illegal to park on the pavement in the majority of places in the UK.

I regularly park on what people think is a pavement - it isn't, it is a privately owned space outside my house.

As your child has damaged the vehicle then you absolutely should cover the cost, however I think it is reasonable to say to them that you would appreciate being able to get your own quote

Lovesagin Sun 18-Mar-18 16:52:49

I wouldn't pay. Id have just forgotten about it tbh.

polarpercy Sun 18-Mar-18 16:53:27

But rule 145 of the highway code says: You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.

So unless you levitate the car onto the pavement to park it then surely you have driven along the pavement to park there and thus the above applies?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: