Talk

Advanced search

3 month notice period? Really??

(88 Posts)
LEMtheoriginal Sun 18-Mar-18 12:16:55

That is our notice period. I am not a teacher nor do I work in a specific role that means they would be specifically disadvantaged if it were not filled immediately.

I can't imagine prospective employers waiting that long ?

How do people manage ?

OutsideContextProblem Sun 18-Mar-18 12:19:06

3 months is the norm in our industry - we manage. Employers know that if you want to hire someone who’s already got a job then you will have to wait - but that’s OK because the person you’re replacing will be still working out their notice.

insancerre Sun 18-Mar-18 12:20:35

That's my notice period too

MissMary0fSweden Sun 18-Mar-18 12:21:37

Yep, standard.

ClashCityRocker Sun 18-Mar-18 12:22:34

That's mine too.

In practice am earlier notice period can be negotiated if your employer is amenable - at my firm there's usually a bit of room for negotiation.

JustPotteringAround Sun 18-Mar-18 12:22:49

Mine too.

greensnail Sun 18-Mar-18 12:22:54

I have to give 3 months notice too.

ClashCityRocker Sun 18-Mar-18 12:23:30

If you've worked somewhere for twelve years, that's the statutory amount I think.

ClareB83 Sun 18-Mar-18 12:23:35

Standard in my work too. New employers build it in.

ikeepaforkinmypurse Sun 18-Mar-18 12:23:42

completely standard here too. It works both way, so 3 months salary doesn't hurt when they get rid of you!

pringlecat Sun 18-Mar-18 12:23:56

It's standard, particularly the more senior you get.

FuzzyCustard Sun 18-Mar-18 12:24:43

Standard in my industry too for senior staff...unless it is 6 months at CEO level.

VladmirsPoutine Sun 18-Mar-18 12:25:07

It's pretty standard across many industries based on the length of time you've been in the role.

It also helps for continuity - if we could all walk out the door tomorrow there'd be a lot of companies and staff up shit creek.

I agree that a lot of companies won't necessarily wait 3 months unless you are a very sough after candidate but try and be a bit savvy with it; do you have any AL left, or indeed time your applications if you know its a given that you will find another role.

EmmaGrundyForPM Sun 18-Mar-18 12:26:17

That's my notice period. Also dh's. In a previous job he had to give 6 months notice but actually that was negotiable.

I think it's fairly standard in management type roles, also in public sector roles.

Tryingtokeepfit Sun 18-Mar-18 12:26:22

That's what my company is
But the norm in my industry is 2 months so it could pose a problem when I want to move on.

Lemons1571 Sun 18-Mar-18 12:26:25

I had this when I was made redundant with a final working date 8 months into the future. I found a new job within a couple of months and they wanted to force me to work 3 months notice. I wasn’t that important, it was a part time office job! I just counter noticed them and left anyway, they had no come back unless they wanted to take me to court (which would’ve cost them tens of thousands in fees). Do you need a reference?

Liverbird77 Sun 18-Mar-18 12:28:56

Teacher here. Currently living apart from husband in different citied at opposite ends of the country. I handed my notice in first day back in January. Can't leave till April. That is the notice period for independent schools. Two sets of rent, bills and council tax to pay. If I had handed my notice in on the second day back after Easter, I wouldn't have been able to go until Christmas. Eight months living apart. Oh, and I am only part time as well. It sucks.

LEMtheoriginal Sun 18-Mar-18 12:30:37

I think if I werevto go from one corporate to another it would be ok. However I'm wanting to potentially get out of corporate working environment. Although I'm tied to my current role for 2 years it's all a bit academic.

halesie Sun 18-Mar-18 12:30:37

If it's standard for your position or industry it will be fine and new employers will understand as they'll have the same. Both of my last 2 jobs had 3 months' notice but with negotiation I worked 4 weeks at the first and 6 weeks at the second - they were v nice about it.

maddiemookins16mum Sun 18-Mar-18 12:36:00

I've only seen it in more senior roles (not mine ☺️).

StarlightEspresso Sun 18-Mar-18 12:38:48

Mine is longer! It’s not uncommon though

Jaxhog Sun 18-Mar-18 12:39:44

You'll be glad of it if you get made redundant! I used to work for a company that upped it to 6 months for everyone to make themselves less attractive to a take over. Didn't work, and we still all got made redundant.

ArizonaLeone Sun 18-Mar-18 12:39:52

If you are a senior manager at my place you have to give a year and they will only release you if they find someone appropriate to fill the role before the year is up!

prideofaberdeen Sun 18-Mar-18 12:41:25

Normal in my area of work, so it doesn't pose a problem for taking up a new position.

TheJoyOfSox Sun 18-Mar-18 12:41:40

A very normal notice period.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: