Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to remove a child's eyebrow hair?

(104 Posts)
AlexanderandPie Sat 17-Mar-18 04:48:47

Asking for a friend. Child is 6. Thanks.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Sat 17-Mar-18 05:05:59

If it's bothering them or they are getting teased, I think it would be ok. If it's because an adult thinks it would look better, then no.

LolitaLempicka Sat 17-Mar-18 05:06:15

I think it looks quite cute, but if he doesn’t like it, then yes, absolutely. Just don’t make them too neat, just a little wax in the middle.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 17-Mar-18 05:22:53

A parent shouldn’t be giving their very young child hang ups about appearance when they’re closer in age to a baby than a teenager. Is the child aware of their brow? Being teased?

PyongyangKipperbang Sat 17-Mar-18 05:25:13

Yes.

WhyTF would you?!

KnittedBlanketHoles Sat 17-Mar-18 05:27:23

Why, is it infected - it doesn't look red?

Zeelove Sat 17-Mar-18 05:27:47

I would remove it

PenelopeFlintstone Sat 17-Mar-18 05:28:46

Not unreasonable if being teased.

Slartybartfast Sat 17-Mar-18 05:34:15

wax sounds a bit ott
shave it if they want

PyongyangKipperbang Sat 17-Mar-18 05:36:28

I would remove it

Why?

He is 6 FFS!

mathanxiety Sat 17-Mar-18 05:37:06

If it wasn't their child and they weren't asked to, then VVVVVVVU.
If asked by the parent and agreed, then also VU. There is no way to do this without hurting the child and it will grow back and have to be done again.
If asked by the child, VU too, no matter how serious they thought the problem was. A child of 6 needs alternatives to solutions that involve changing their personal appearance.

PyongyangKipperbang Sat 17-Mar-18 05:38:11

What Math said.

Italiangreyhound Sat 17-Mar-18 05:55:46

Agree with ThisIsNotARealAvo
"If it's bothering them or they are getting teased, I think it would be ok. If it's because an adult thinks it would look better, then no."

Really better to learn to love your face if you can, but I remove hairs from my chin!

Italiangreyhound Sat 17-Mar-18 05:57:07

Agree with Math too " A child of 6 needs alternatives to solutions that involve changing their personal appearance."

PenelopeFlintstone Sat 17-Mar-18 05:58:05

Pretty much guaranteed he's going to do it later. He won't grow out of not liking his monobrow. So why make him endure the teasing till he's of age?
Do it in a school holiday and the other kids will forget he ever had it.
If no-one's teasing him then don't worry about it.

dentydown Sat 17-Mar-18 05:59:15

If the child wants it done, I would make a gap in the middle. I wouldn’t go for hi def brow shaping or anything like that but just make it look like it is separated.
Children go for the different, and it may be because he or she is getting comments everyday and affecting their life.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Sat 17-Mar-18 05:59:35

If the child wants to then it's fine, if the child isn't bothered then YWBVU to do it.

AJPTaylor Sat 17-Mar-18 06:02:03

if the child wanted it then yes. after one go the child might decide they dont want the pain but that is their choice.

velourvoyageur Sat 17-Mar-18 06:05:53

There is so clearly nothing wrong with his eyebrows.
Reading stuff like this feels suffocating! We are so uncomfortable with any small deviance in adults' appearances, anything that's not polished, but kids too? I know and am very sad that girls are being made to feel self-conscious about body hair at younger and younger ages but I never thought I'd hear about a six year old boy's eyebrows being unacceptable.
If he/the parents bow to pressure on this, it'll just reinforce the message to the rest of his peer group that teasing a) was well placed and b) works to intimidate. He and all the other 6 year olds who ever noticed his eyebrows will risk becoming even more self-conscious after this is confirmed by adults, the people they trust unthinkingly, as something to be embarrassed about. Assuming the impetus for this is coming from what he's saying, he'll be confused/curious about it currently, but actually taking steps to remove the hair will be a very tangible stamp of approval on those insecurities. It's like a crossroads, is he going to be helped to dismiss his concerns or to take them seriously?
When I was a child I could barely picture my own face, it just wasn't something I was encouraged to think about!

A child of 6 needs alternatives to solutions that involve changing their personal appearance. agree 100%, alternatives do exist

Brownieb Sat 17-Mar-18 06:27:45

You have all assumed it’s a boy - if it was a girl would that be different? Just wondering not judging....

RhiWrites Sat 17-Mar-18 06:28:44

Children are savage.

An adult colleague would never mention a monobrow as any kind of issue. Kids will mock him for it every day.

Why should the child face ridicule every day because we’d like to pretend societal beauty standards don’t exist?

You don’t instill confidence by telling someone to love a feature for which they are ridiculed.

I had this as a child, as an adult I depilate. I was teased as a child for being hairy. It didn’t make me confident. It made me embarrassed.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 17-Mar-18 06:29:20

Brownieb
Not true. I made no such assumption. Why should it make a difference?

PlumsGalore Sat 17-Mar-18 06:30:16

I would if the child was happy and the mum. DD had her first eyebrow thread at 10, her choice, we saw the stand in the shopping centre and she had it done. She is now 20 and hasn had it done ever since, it changed her life. She went from being teased for her mono to having them admired for years.

Hengine Sat 17-Mar-18 06:31:21

Gentle hair removing cream is better than wax or shaving.

Kitchenbound Sat 17-Mar-18 06:34:59

If the child is being teased about it and it's effecting them then no YANBU. If its just an omg my kids got a monobrow how embarrassing parental reaction then leave it alone. But if it gets shaved its going to come back a lot faster and it may look darker because of blunt ends. Waxing just a tiny bit in the middle to separate them is better IMO but it will hurt a little.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: