Advanced search

To be absolutely livid at dd?

(71 Posts)
parfinter Tue 13-Mar-18 20:25:14

So I have just been informed that dd (14) has been snorting ibuprofen (?!) at school this lunchtime. I’m so disappointed after all the conversations we’ve had over peer pressure and the like. Obviously this is not ok, but I can’t seem to get her to understand how bad this is. She doesn’t think it’s that bad as ‘it said when she looked it up’. sad

How can I make her understand how bad this is sad

FraWater Tue 13-Mar-18 20:28:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Allthewaves Tue 13-Mar-18 20:29:44

did she think it was something else?

flumpybear Tue 13-Mar-18 20:30:16

She needs a short hard shock - snorting anything can kill people! She's lucky it's not affected her

Fuck your peers - be your own person kind of talk

ReverseGiraffe Tue 13-Mar-18 20:30:37

What are you worried about? I did this as a teenager and all I ended up with was a blocked nose. Oh, and I've never taken illegal/street drugs in my life.

Angrybird345 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:30:42

I assume she was pretending it was coke? Was it the first time? Hopefully it was and she was showing off and getting caught means she won’t be stupid again. Isn’t there a talk frank website?

Origamoo Tue 13-Mar-18 20:31:03

Snorting ibuprofen? How/why?!? Like crushed up tablets?

falsepriest Tue 13-Mar-18 20:31:21

Tell her to stop being a fucking idiot, ask how it all happened, what she thought would happen, and go from there.

Aftershock15 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:33:04

She might not get high but it is definitely abused by young girls to numb themselves. I was shocked to hear this as I thought it was just used for physical pain, but had a great talk at school from an ex teenage addict. Ibruprofen was what she started with.

BrownTurkey Tue 13-Mar-18 20:35:41

Embrace it as a good opportunity to introduce her to helpful sources of info, apply her critical faculties (why take it, what will it do, how do I know it is what they say it is) and what to do in an emergency.

Fruitcorner123 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:41:56

reversegiraffe snorting something not meant for snorting can harm your lungs and is potentially fatal (unlikely but possible) plus it's possible that these kind of behaviours are the start of a relationship with drug use. Your experience is just one example many others do start on something like this before working up to other drugs.

There are plenty or horror stories you could tell her about people who have died from experimenting and being unlucky. I would suggest a long calm chat with her about what she risks. Sorry to hear about this OP just be grateful you know now and can hopefully get through to her.

JosephWearsNoPants Tue 13-Mar-18 20:43:29

is it possible to move her to another school? punish her?

FraWater Tue 13-Mar-18 20:45:40

overnightangel Tue 13-Mar-18 20:47:15

What @falsepriest!said

JeanBodel Tue 13-Mar-18 20:48:48

However you decide to address this with your daughter, do it in such a way that she will still see you as someone she can come to with her problems.

Don't leave her feeling she has to keep secrets from you.

Most kids do stupid things that would horrify their parents at some point in their lives. You need to react in a way which will not damage your relationship with her.

Winebottle Tue 13-Mar-18 20:48:48

It is daft but not really dangerous. I remember people snorting pepper and salt at school and it is not really any different.

The most worrying thing about it is she probably thinks coke is cool. I'd be concerned but not angry or disappointed.

RLOU88 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:48:52

Stupidly I did this many moons ago. Ibroprofen can cause ulcers and she definitely doesn’t want them on her nose. Type in nose ulcer on google image and scare the shit out of her.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 13-Mar-18 20:50:46

Well, you need to put consequences in place. Don't be too hard though, just exercise your authority.

FraWater Tue 13-Mar-18 20:51:45

ivykaty44 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:57:31

HAve you sat down and listened to her?

Who else was doing this? Was she curious what it would feel like? What did other think? Has she googled the nose photos - they really are hideous

FrancisCrawford Tue 13-Mar-18 21:03:37

Fra - people have been snorting tablets of all sorts for decades

It has nothing to do with the tablets having or not having codeine in them

HoppingPavlova Tue 13-Mar-18 21:06:33

One question - why? I don’t get it. What’s it meant to do?

Branleuse Tue 13-Mar-18 21:08:37

Lock up your tide pods

Forevertired19 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:13:57

You need to approach this like she can talk to you rather that straight up punish her. I really wouldn't be happy OP either if it were my dd. You have every right to be upset and I'd be worried it was the start or relationship with drug use. Although ibuprofen wouldn't really be that dangerous in most cases, it still shouldn't be done.
I'd sit her down and gently talk through it. Did the school inform you or did she tell you? I haven't read the tread in depth but if the school didn't inform you it may be decent to go through them and see what services they offer?

Qvar Tue 13-Mar-18 21:20:55

DOn't be too hard on her, I once smoked hawthorn bark to see what would happen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now