Talk

Advanced search

To not take the blame...

(11 Posts)
Sophisticatedsarcasm Tue 13-Mar-18 18:46:47

Bit of a long story will try not to drip feed 😕
Basically I work in a shop and today we had 2 of the local junkies come in. Usually when they come in we are all on high alert and watch them closely. There was only 3 of the staff incl me and I was stuck at the till. Finally they reached the till and one of them was having his monthly binge spend, whilst I was detagging and ringing up his purchases his friend was holding up one of the tshirts and he had gone to look at something else near by the till. His friend put the tshirt down and then left. I didn’t think this weird as he’d been In and out of the shop for 20 minutes and I was still trying to watch the other guy. When the guy finally came back to the till he asked me where his wallet was and then realis3d his friend had run off with it. He said I left my wallet with you and you’ve just let it go out the door.
1. He never told me he was leaving it there.
2. When customers have told me before they are leaving personal possessions at the till (it actually happens a lot) I move it over nearer to me.
3. His friend was holding a tshirt up therefore blocking my view of where the guy supposedly left it.

Anyway the guy promptly left to find said ‘friend’. In the meantime my manager came to ask me why I n3ver watched his wallet. So I explained what happened and that he never even told me he was leaving it there. Manager said it’s not my fault but I should have paid more attention.
My manager had already asked me to keep an eye on him, and make sure the money wasn’t fake and I was watching him when he left my immediate sight and ringing his stuff through the till.
Anyway he came back about 30minutes later to say he knows it weren’t my fault and that he was gonna kill his friend because he was so angry.
I said to him I genuinely didn’t know his wallet was left there. He said he knows it’s not my fault and that his friend was a coke head.
I’m a bit concerned he might actually do some serial damage when he finds him. Inbu to think I shouldn’t get blamed for this?

WheresTheHooferDoofer Tue 13-Mar-18 18:52:17

You shouldn't be blamed for this, and I would guess the t shirt stuff was to hide what he was doing.

Actually, I don't think you should be responsible for looking after anyone's stuff, that's always the customer's responsibility.

CoffeenoTea Tue 13-Mar-18 18:57:51

Tell your manager to employ security or cctv. Also advise customers that you do not look after there stuff.

Buster72 Tue 13-Mar-18 19:01:36

You are in no way responsible not for the wallet or whatever transpires between these two.

Sophisticatedsarcasm Tue 13-Mar-18 19:02:24

He was a bit of a live wire this guy, I’m assuming it was the drugs but I was trying to do several things at once, I don’t make a habit of watching people’s possesions but if they do leave it there I just move it just in case someone lifts it....if I’m aware it’s there.

FifiVoldemortsChavvyCousin Tue 13-Mar-18 19:04:27

Get a standard sign - we cannot be held responsible for personal belongings.

It is not your job to police junkies. There are trained social workers etc for that.

I understand you are concerned about the threats, but that is their lifestyle and violence and chaos will follow them until they clean up and don’t associate with junkies.

ConstantReminder Tue 13-Mar-18 19:07:21

No way are you to blame. Your Manager needs to take responsibility for security in your shop.
My son volunteered in a charity shop. A few guys did a ‘distraction routine’ and stole cash from the till while he was serving one (and the rest were intimidating him).
The (paid) Manager’s response was to shout at my young inexperienced volunteer son!
Managers need to take responsibility for what goes on in their shops ~ security systems are paramount, and non experienced or junior staff should not be left carrying the can.
Your manager clearly was well aware the risk these thieves presented!

JobHunting4 Tue 13-Mar-18 19:15:13

Can we not call people junkies please. It's a horrid term on so many levels. Let's try the word 'customer'

Aquamarine1029 Tue 13-Mar-18 19:21:53

You are NOT RESPONSIBLE for a customer's private property, and your manager can fuck off. If a customer asks you to watch their wallet or purse, politely refuse. It's outrageous that anyone would even think to ask a person working in a shop to mind their wallet.

Sophisticatedsarcasm Tue 13-Mar-18 19:23:32

I’ve been with the company for 9 years, this is they first time I’ve ever had this sort of thing happen. My manager was on the front doing security and was the one to alert me. The thing is they guy was intending to pay and even came back with some other money to only purchase 2 of the items he originally picked up. He’d had his money out of his wallet when he reached the till and then must have put it back in. The problem is until they physically step out the door without purchasing you can’t do anything.

Sophisticatedsarcasm Tue 13-Mar-18 19:24:11

I would never leave any of my personal belongings unattended.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: