Advanced search

To ask what disability a person could have

(379 Posts)
Margomyhero Tue 13-Mar-18 17:22:37

to park outside the gym and run 30 minutes on the treadmill?

I am genuinely curious about this one.

I got out of my car and parked in a car park near the leisure centre. It's a LOT cheaper than the car park in the leisure centre grounds. As I locked up and headed towards the leisure centre I saw a young man park in the disabled space and get out and go the same way as me.

He went on the treadmill and ran for 30 minutes. I know that as I was doing the same.

So - before I judge him unfairly what disability which warrants a blue badge could this man have which would allow him to run for 30 minutes - after sprinting up the 2 flights of stairs to get there?

Was he a genuine recipient of disabled space parking or was he just avoiding paying the charge (which by the way is 5p for the first hour ).

FifiVoldemortsChavvyCousin Tue 13-Mar-18 17:23:15

Some come and go.

Shockers Tue 13-Mar-18 17:23:45

Did he have a blue badge?

FifiVoldemortsChavvyCousin Tue 13-Mar-18 17:23:55

He could have artificial legs even.

DietCokeGirrrrrl Tue 13-Mar-18 17:23:57

It's really impossible to say. You would have to have intimate details of his medical history! Did he have a blue badge?

fleshmarketclose Tue 13-Mar-18 17:24:18

Ds has a blue badge and can run like the wind,theoretically he could go to the gym. He has autism oneof many hidden disabilities HTH

LagunaBubbles Tue 13-Mar-18 17:24:31

Why would you even judge, Im sure you know full well not every disability is visible? And not every disability affects physical movement either. hmm

Margomyhero Tue 13-Mar-18 17:25:02

Yes blue badge in the car.

He didn't appear to have artificial legs - seemed to take the stairs and do the running without any different movements.

LagunaBubbles Tue 13-Mar-18 17:25:15

He could have a stoma bag for example. Doesnt affect legs.

PurpleDaisies Tue 13-Mar-18 17:25:29

There are all sorts of disabilities that aren’t the same every day, MS for example.

Blue badges are bloody hard to get so if he had one, it’s pretty much going to be for a genuine disability.

Sirzy Tue 13-Mar-18 17:25:33

Some disabilities vary day on day.

He could have artificial limbs

MrsJayy Tue 13-Mar-18 17:26:01

I have no idea did he have a blue badge? Btw have you not seen the paralympics disabled people running and whatnot

ConstantReminder Tue 13-Mar-18 17:26:50

Could be following an exercise programme recommended by doctor. Not all disabilities stop you running.

Margomyhero Tue 13-Mar-18 17:26:51

Laguna - this is why I ask.

I would assume that to get a blue badge a person must have some physical impairment which makes it harder for them to walk to the venue - hence parking closer.

TheJoyOfSox Tue 13-Mar-18 17:28:44

Watch the Paralympics, disabled doesn’t automatically mean crippled.
Jonny Peacock took part in Strictly last year, he did so well you really couldn’t tell he only has one leg.

SharronNeedles Tue 13-Mar-18 17:28:51

I have an artificial leg. You wouldn't know unless I pulled up my trouser leg.
I know my limits with it. So for example if I ran for 30 minutes my leg would ache but I could still drive. May struggle to walk too far. More noticeable with movements after I've used it for a long time or trained at the gym.

feathermucker Tue 13-Mar-18 17:28:54

My friend has terminal cancer and is a blue badge holder.

On a good day, she could possibly manage what you've described this man did.

It isn't any of your busineds; you realise that?

Sockwomble Tue 13-Mar-18 17:29:53

Impairment doesn't need to be physical. Mobility isn't only about being able to walk.

tiggytape Tue 13-Mar-18 17:29:58

You can qualify if you have a substantial impairment affecting both arms so are unable to use parking meters.

You also qualify is you are blind (but of course that would exclud drivers).

But if parking is only 5p, surely it is more likely that he's not fraudulently using the space. If parking was £50 then you'd have more reason to suspect people would cheat.

Margomyhero Tue 13-Mar-18 17:30:16

Okay. I hadn't considered some of the reasons you have given.

I know that it is hard to get a Blue Badge .

notacooldad Tue 13-Mar-18 17:30:21

He could have cancer.

bobstersmum Tue 13-Mar-18 17:30:37

I used to work in a team that supported a girl with autism, personality disorder, anger issues to name just a few, she had a disabled badge even though she could've outrun Linford Christie and knocked seven bells out of Ricky Hatton. The reason being that if we were stuck for very long trying to find a space, or even out in the community very long, it would cause a meltdown and endanger not only her but us and the public, but as also not fair to keep her locked up!

notacooldad Tue 13-Mar-18 17:31:17

I see feather posted before me!

DontDrinkDontSmoke Tue 13-Mar-18 17:31:58

Or it’s not his badge. Plenty of people abuse the system.

LagunaBubbles Tue 13-Mar-18 17:31:58

I would assume that to get a blue badge a person must have some physical impairment which makes it harder for them to walk to the venue - hence parking closer.

Well you assume wrong then. Seriously you thought this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now