Advanced search

To be totally clueless about accessories!

(24 Posts)
AstridPeth Tue 13-Mar-18 16:23:50

Dd1 has a prom coming up (y11) we bought a dress but need some accessories to go with it. Dd1 has asked me what I think and I haven't a clue. I am 37 surely I should be able to put stuff together for goodness sake! Anyway I am relying on the collective wisdom of mumsnet to help me out here a bit. So please can you give me some hints?

DalekDalekDalek Tue 13-Mar-18 16:24:37

I would go with a brightly coloured clutch bag.

AstridPeth Tue 13-Mar-18 16:26:27

wow that was quick. Thanx Dalek. Any colour in particular or just some thing bright? The colour of the dress is stated as sage but it's quite metallic to look at.

DalekDalekDalek Tue 13-Mar-18 16:29:18

I was thinking bright pink to be honest, to really contrast the colour of the dress. Then match nails to the bag. I would then go for fairly simple silver jewellery. If you could, I would match shoes to bag but otherwise black shoes would be fine.

AstridPeth Tue 13-Mar-18 16:31:04

Thanx Dalek x

nonevernotever Tue 13-Mar-18 16:33:04

I was thinking gold rather than silver - perhaps a gold beaded clutch, but hard to be sure without seeing the dress in the flesh.

frasier Tue 13-Mar-18 16:34:29

Wow of a dress!

I think any colour would go, that's why it's a hard decision. Black would be boring but nothing would clash. I thought pink also, but paler for a romantic look. Also her hair is the perfect colour for the dress, so you could go that route for the bag/shoes and use jewellery and makeup/nails for a pop of colour.

Kitchenbound Tue 13-Mar-18 16:35:18

Agreed - bright clutch although i would opt for blues or purples but that's just personal preference. Nails and maybe a hair clip of some kind to match? And simple silver jewellery maybe just bracelet/ bangle and earings? Gorgeous dress!

FullMetalRabbit Tue 13-Mar-18 16:36:18

what a gorgeous dress and a lovely colour - hope your DD enjoys her prom

DalekDalekDalek Tue 13-Mar-18 16:37:16

Depending on what the weather is going to be like, a shawl to match bag etc would look nice and might keep her warm if the evening turns cool.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 13-Mar-18 16:38:19

I'd go with a gold clutch, nice neutral heels (but only if she can walk in them) and gold or sparkly dangly earrings.

frasier Tue 13-Mar-18 16:47:23

It's a clever colour dress, it would work with silver or gold jewellery. But with your DD's colouring gold would look spectacular!

AstridPeth Tue 13-Mar-18 16:51:33

Thank you so much for all your comments. Giving me lots to think about. Dd1 is extremely thrilled with the dress and equally i am as the lady is winding up her business so this dress was reduced from £200 To £50! Which dd says is great because she wants to spend some money on accessories. She is also planning on dying her hair at some point. But doesn't know whether to do it before or after her prom. Will see if I can find a pic of what she wants done a minute for your opinions. Have enclosed a pic of the back of her dress also.

AstridPeth Tue 13-Mar-18 17:36:59

dd1 wants to do this with her hair at some point...before or after prom?

Ifailed Tue 13-Mar-18 17:38:37

DalekDalekDalek Tue 13-Mar-18 17:43:58

Personally I would do it afterwards. Her hair colour looks lovely with the dress. Plus that hair style is very "fashionable", when she looks back at the photos in ten years time or shows them to her children she will be wondering what she was thinking! It will be like perms in the eighties!

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Tue 13-Mar-18 17:45:33

Ooh before definitely - her natural hair colour is beautiful but that colour would look stunning with the dress.

I too like the idea of hot pink but a clutch is maybe a bit old fashioned. Still when I was a teenager they hadn't invented proms and I used to go out with a tenner stuffed in a packet of fags ... probably not the look you or she want!

frasier Tue 13-Mar-18 17:46:39

If she does the hair for the prom she will definitely need a pop of colour with accessories. Personally I love her hair colour as it is with the dress but the new colour would work well and it is her night so if she wants to go for it...

Oh, if the hair colour is as silvery as it looks in the pics, I'd go for silver jewellery I think.

carryondoctor Tue 13-Mar-18 17:47:25

I'd go for metallics with that - prob gold but silver would work too. Clutch bag, heeled sandals, sparkly bracelet and necklace Then she can have some really cool makeup too, including metallic finger and toenails

pieceofpurplesky Tue 13-Mar-18 17:49:38

A small drop necklace and a bracelet - delicate. Comfy shoes (I organise the prom and most girls last 20 minutes in their heels!)

A bag that is secure to keep phone is as lots get lost with bags flapping open.

Hair after prom as does silver does not go with the dress colour.

A decent bra (always have a selection of safety pins with me as girls haven't tried dancing in the dresses!)

bluemoonchances Tue 13-Mar-18 17:50:53

I ditto Daleks opinions.. bright pink clutch or bright coral clutch, matching nails and lippy, simple silver jewellery . As pp may want a pashmina or something in case chilly, either matching pink or silver/grey. Gorgeous dress x

carryondoctor Tue 13-Mar-18 17:51:09

Oh and jewelled or fancy flip flops - the novelty of the sandals will wear off at some point after the glam photos and initial impressions grin

bluemoonchances Tue 13-Mar-18 17:52:00

Yes carryondoctor!! What she said re shoes!!

upsideup Tue 13-Mar-18 17:56:18

I would go for a white clutch and shoes with silver/diamond jewellry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now