Talk

Advanced search

To not go?

(62 Posts)
BiscuitCrumbs44 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:06:11

Hi All!

My SIL is pregnant with her first child, due in May.

She has invited me to her baby shower at the end of March (weekend before Easter).

I have a couple of issues (they are mine, not hers); I don't 'believe' in baby showers/I live 150 miles away/it's three days before pay day so the wrong end of the month.

Of course I know I should make the effort, and she did say she'd understand if I didn't want to drive all that way only to drive back four hours later, but I have this awful guilt complex that makes me feel I should go..

Help!

pawpatrolearworm Tue 13-Mar-18 15:08:43

Don't go if you don't want to. But if I were you I would come up with an excuse that makes your SIL not feel like you just don't want to go. To be nice.

WeirdCatLady Tue 13-Mar-18 15:10:04

Oh no...haven’t you got a big meeting at work that day?.....or a deadline you just can’t move?.....nudge nudge wink wink

I hate baby showers too.

DancesWithOtters Tue 13-Mar-18 15:10:09

I hate baby showers. They make me cringe.

I would go for a very good close friend if it was reasonably nearby, and have done before. I wouldn't travel 150 miles for one unless I was very close to them.

deno Tue 13-Mar-18 15:10:38

I personally wouldn't drive 150 miles for a baby shower.

I would just say that you can only afford to make the journey/get time off a few times a year, and you want to save the visits for after your niece/nephew is born.

FlyingMonkeys Tue 13-Mar-18 15:11:06

Send her some nice flowers with a card to congratulate her and hoping she has a lovely day... job done!

Bambamber Tue 13-Mar-18 15:11:41

You don't have to 'believe' in baby showers to attend one. I think they're pointless, but I still go if invited, I've just never had one myself.

But saying that if you don't want to go, don't go. Just don't make up crap excuses

Bambamber Tue 13-Mar-18 15:12:22

*oh and by crap excuse I mean don't say you're not going because you don't believe in them

Iloveacurry Tue 13-Mar-18 15:12:43

I wouldn’t. It’s a long way for 4 hours!

Tainbri Tue 13-Mar-18 15:13:51

I absolutely point blank refuse baby showers. I am more than happy to gift and coo all you like when the baby is HERE but not before. YANBU not to go!

InspMorse Tue 13-Mar-18 15:14:34

If you don't want to/ can't (£) go don't go.
Just make your excuses & tell her that you have something on that weekend.

manicinsomniac Tue 13-Mar-18 15:15:42

YANBU

You would be unreasonable for reason 1.

But reasons 2 and 3 are perfectly valid.

I've never known anyone invite anyone non local to a baby shower - they're just not seen as important enough for people to travel for in my experience.

expatinscotland Tue 13-Mar-18 15:17:31

YANBU.

Aprilmightmemynewname Tue 13-Mar-18 15:17:33

If you don't go she will hold a grudge forever.

BiscuitCrumbs44 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:18:50

Thanks all!

Of course, just because I don't believe or agree with them doesn't mean I wouldn't go, this is my soon-to-be-niece, but it's such a long way to go, the only people I will know are SIL and my mum..

I will give SIL a call and see if I can suss her out.

Also doesn't help it's all being organised on Facebook, which I'm not on..!!

Thanks all for your advice!

expatinscotland Tue 13-Mar-18 15:20:00

'If you don't go she will hold a grudge forever.'

Where did you get that idea? The OP says the SIL has already told her she understands if the OP doesn't want to drive 300 miles in a day for a 4 hour party. And if she does that says more about her than the OP. Expecting someone to drive that much for a small party is ridiculous.

justanotheruser18 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:20:24

That's a long journey for a baby shower. Send a little token gift or card and go see her with your OH when niece/nephew arrives.

LeighaJ Tue 13-Mar-18 15:21:57

I'm American and where I grew up we love baby showers, but I've never driven 150 miles to go to one specifically.

If I was going to be in town anyway visiting family and one was happening then sure I'd go, otherwise just send a present from baby wish list and well wishes.

I wouldn't try and make a stand over you not believing in baby showers, you'll likely just hurt her feelings. Just make up a reason that will be accepted if you don't think "too far" is going to go over well.

Trinity66 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:23:48

Don't go, baby showers are a very American thing I think , none of my friends ever had one

BiscuitCrumbs44 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:25:52

I think you are right - it's my brother's (her partner) birthday a couple of weeks later and I've booked a few days off work to make a long weekend of it and see all the family, so will see her then, anyway..

I'd also rather go down when baby has arrived, and I was last down two weeks ago, too..!

Of course if I lived closer/was down anyway, I wouldn't hesitate. I'm sure she'll understand a 300 mile round trip just isn't great for a 4 hour visit.

I've already ordered a pamper hamper to be delivered the day before to my mum's, so the gift is covered..

Thanks for reassuring me all!

FlyingMonkeys Tue 13-Mar-18 15:26:44

If she's stated she understands because of the distance then I really think she doesnt expect you to attend. It's probably more likely she just invited you to not feel left out.

DalekDalekDalek Tue 13-Mar-18 15:37:38

It took me two hours to drive to my SIL's baby shower and two hours to drive back. I wouldn't have missed it in a million years. It was a lovely day and she was really happy.

BiscuitCrumbs44 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:39:30

Aw @Dalek, that's really nice. Are you and your SIL close? We're not really (I think if we were friends too I'd go no question)..

I think @FlyingMonkeys may have got it right there!

beanii Tue 13-Mar-18 15:40:44

A 4 hour drive for a baby shower - I wouldn't care who it was for - I wouldn't go! smile

HouseworkIsASin10 Tue 13-Mar-18 15:41:41

I wouldn't go that distance for a baby shower. They are hell on earth.

But I would travel for a christening or wedding.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: