Advanced search

to fit a new kitchen whilst 2 kids are revising for A levels and GCSEs...

(38 Posts)
another20 Tue 13-Mar-18 12:51:34 DH thinks it will be disruptive and I will be distracted with it rather than focussing on them.....BUT it has taken months of planning and now ready to go but kids will be off during Easter and study leave......should I postpone until July?

Not extending - replacing like for like - but need to chase a wall to move position of electrics for oven, cut a new doorway (masonry) and dig a channel for water waste. I was thinking if I could get these noisy/dusty bits done before school holidays - then they would only have the noise of fitting the floating wood floor and installing the cabinets (carcasses already assembled)

FifiVoldemortsChavvyCousin Tue 13-Mar-18 12:52:30

Why can’t it wait.

MyBrilliantDisguise Tue 13-Mar-18 12:53:01

I'd go ahead with it. The people fitting it won't be there in the evenings, will they?

Trailedanderror Tue 13-Mar-18 12:55:22

Don't! The dc will be on study leave. Unless they go elsewhere to work all day, every day and always have done so, happily It'll be awful for them, and really unsupportive of you.

user1471459936 Tue 13-Mar-18 12:55:32

Can your children study elsewhere during the day? Library? Friend's house?

Sirzy Tue 13-Mar-18 12:56:33

I would postpone it a couple of months. You want as little distraction as possible surely?

Pagwatch Tue 13-Mar-18 12:58:01

No. no way

The disruption is horrendous. It would be a really bad idea. It's bad enough and inconvenient enough at the best of times. Doing it when they could use calm, quiet and routine would be an odd priority imo

abigailsnan Tue 13-Mar-18 12:58:43

If you have waited this long why would a few more weeks make any difference ? will it be difficult to rearrange the workmen.

Partypopper123 Tue 13-Mar-18 12:59:23

The disruption will be massive, comings & goings all day. It will be very noisy. Not really conducive to revising.

bettinasofine Tue 13-Mar-18 13:00:25

Will they be studying in the kitchen?

DalekDalekDalek Tue 13-Mar-18 13:01:09

Seems a bit cruel. Exams are stressful enough without disruption at home too. I would postpone. Do you really want to risk your DC messing up an important exam just so you can have a new kitchen a few weeks earlier?

Pagwatch Tue 13-Mar-18 13:01:28

Btw - I would imediately discount the views of anyone who hasn't had a complete new kitchen fitted.
Cooking three weeks worth of meals off a two ring electric cooker and having a temporary kitchen in the dining room was shitty enough.

mrsplum2015 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:01:33

I don't know. It depends what kind of study habits they have and how big your house is (as in how on top of them will it feel)..

Tbh my dd would be likely not to be studying anyway and if I could still have a fridge full of appropriate snacks she probably would barely notice 😂

Peeetle Tue 13-Mar-18 13:02:30

I’d definitely wait. How awful to be revising while workmen are banging and drilling.

pasturesgreen Tue 13-Mar-18 13:03:05

I've heard better ideas, quite frankly...

Can't it wait a few weeks?

user1474652148 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:04:17

I would wait, it will be far too disruptive

NinjagoNinja Tue 13-Mar-18 13:06:02

Depends how serious they are about revision.

I'd have had a nervous breakdown if my parents had done that.

Finola1step Tue 13-Mar-18 13:06:08

Not a chance. Keep everything as calm and normal as possible. Do it July when you will barely see your dc anyway.

another20 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:09:17

Thats me told.....I am just being impatient and selfish....was trying to see if I could work around it and avoid postponing. They are all set up in their bedrooms, so I wouldn't want them to have to go else where to study.

MaddieElla Tue 13-Mar-18 13:14:07

Nope. We have planned our loft conversion/orangery around exams for this exact reason. Exam time is important to her and I know she will find the noise stressful and distracting.

lou1221 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:16:27

The noise would reverberate throughout the house, the upheaval of packing/unpacking, no cooking appliances/sink (washing up in bathroom), brick dust finds it was into every nook and cranny. These exams are so important, they need as little distractions as possible. I would wait until after they've finished.

fourandnomore Tue 13-Mar-18 13:18:49

Agree with everyone else, just wait. It could be disastrous for your kids. It's so disruptive not to mention loads of random people in and out of the house.

happystory Tue 13-Mar-18 13:19:06

Definitely not. It takes over family life and things need to be calm pre exams

InvisibleUnicorn Tue 13-Mar-18 13:20:55

Definitely wait!

glitterbiscuits Tue 13-Mar-18 13:23:14

I have teenagers and I would wait.

Their lives need to be easy at this time and your family needs to have a working kitchen to provide favourite foods at a drop of a hat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now