Advanced search


(32 Posts)
NeedingAdvicePlease Tue 13-Mar-18 10:47:10

Waiting a diagnostic laparoscopy for suspected endometriosis. The appointment has come through for earlier than expected, 8 month instead of 12 month wait.

Issue is I have a holiday to Vegas booked for 4 days after. AIBU to think I will be able to go on holiday? Some people are saying I'll be fine, while others are saying not a chance.

I'm also afraid and knowing my luck, if I cancel the holiday that the surgery will be cancelled.

TrickyD Tue 13-Mar-18 11:13:28

If you do go, check your travel insurance terms. If you have a medical problem while you are away, the insurers may not cover expenses, even unrelated ones, if you did not inform them of impending treatment.

NeedingAdvicePlease Tue 13-Mar-18 11:32:03

Thanks for the response. I was thinking I will have to buy the best insurance possible, just in case.

CoffeAndCream Tue 13-Mar-18 11:37:28

Do you mean you don't already have insurance cover? Getting cover when you are on the waiting list for treatment can be difficult and often more expensive.
Have you asked the hospital what they advise about air travel so soon after the procedure?
I had a laparoscopy to look for endo years ago and felt unwell for almost a week, others I know have been ok quicker.

PoshPenny Tue 13-Mar-18 11:47:02

It used to be that they pumped you full of gas when they did a laparoscopy so you were erm not looking your best afterwards and it was pretty uncomfortable. I looked pregnant after mine and could only wear elastics red waists for about a week after. If that's still the case then you probably would be better to decline the appointment tbh. It the holiday was 2 weeks later it probably would be fine.

PoshPenny Tue 13-Mar-18 11:47:55

Elasticated I mean...

MadMags Tue 13-Mar-18 11:48:20

Usually they’ll remove any they find and can, while they’re in there so there’s no real telling how you’ll feel.

I’ve had a good few. Some I’m fine after a few days, others I’ve been laid up for weeks!

Sirzy Tue 13-Mar-18 11:51:12

I don’t think insurance would cover you for it because it’s something you are currently waiting of treatment for and if you don’t already have insurance they won’t cover it for you already knowing it’s happenjnv

Rawhh Tue 13-Mar-18 12:18:53

No you won't be able to go.

I was barely able to move for the first few days after my laparoscopy.

You also may struggle passing feaces as you will struggle to push.

There is also risk of infection - if you become ill whilst out there and havnt declared to your insurer that you have just had surgery you will end up with huge medical bills and also doubt they will cover you if you do declare.

This is why people need to buy travel insurance when booking the holiday so that you are covered if you had to cancel.

Birdsgottafly Tue 13-Mar-18 12:28:59

My DD had one done and was back in a physically demanding job after three days. It was more that she doesn't do well with anesthetic.

I agree that it's getting your insurance sorted out that will be a pain.

NeedingAdvicePlease Tue 13-Mar-18 12:35:40

Sorry for the confusion. I have travel insurance already in place but if I was going I would want a better one that offers additional medical care.

NeedingAdvicePlease Tue 13-Mar-18 12:39:14

The hospital and airline both say that I am fine to fly 3/4 days after keyhole surgery.

My current insurance covers everything, but it only covers medical bills up to $500,000 and I would rather increase this, if I do decide to go.

ilovegin112 Tue 13-Mar-18 12:43:23

You need to inform your insurance about this right away

ilovegin112 Tue 13-Mar-18 12:44:56

Sorry didn’t see your last message and I’m presuming they already know about your laparoscopy

Branleuse Tue 13-Mar-18 12:59:54

I would ask for a different appointment Tell them it clashes with a prebooked holiday. If youve had a general anaesthetic and keyhole surgery, day 4 is usually the worst day for GA comedown

flumpybear Tue 13-Mar-18 13:09:15

I'd ring the hospital and see if you can easily get the appointment changed / honestly I wouldn't go away, particularly to America considering their health system is so awful and expensive

Herewegoagainagain Tue 13-Mar-18 13:10:24

I had one in 2012 and wouldn't have been able to travel after 4 days. They found endometriosis while in there so removed what they could, which meant three incisions and a very sore, swollen abdomen. I had to sleep propped up on pillows and had to make a return visit to the hospital as one of the incisions was leaking. Also not sure if travel insurance covers pre-existing conditions - you'd have to check.

Was also advised not to shower for a week and wouldn't have been able to wash my hair etc - it's very long and curly.

Pippa12 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:23:41

I would definately postpone appointment. You have no idea how you are going to feel post surgery and may suddenly not be able to go (think keyhole wound infection, reaction to anaesthetic, complications intra op) and you wont be covered due as its a planned proceedure... money down the pan... how about researching how much it would be to move trip forward or 2/3 weeks later? May not be too expensive and if you already have decent insurance you may be covered. Hope you get sorted...typical how these things encroach on the more exciting things in life angryflowers

chocolateiamydrug Tue 13-Mar-18 13:27:46

I was pretty flat out for 2 weeks following s lap for endo.

you might be ok but I would not bank on it. it is an OP under general anaesthesia and and going to Vegas isn't Blackpool.

can you rearrange the surgery given that it is still 8 months away?

NeedingAdvicePlease Tue 13-Mar-18 13:28:11

Thanks for all the advice. I did ask the hospital to change the appointment but they said if I change it I could get an appointment next month or it could be another 8 months. So I am very wary about changing the appointment.

I did say I was unavailable for the operation on my holiday dates but they booked me in four days before.

NeedingAdvicePlease Tue 13-Mar-18 13:30:02

Sorry the laparoscopy is booked for next month, it took 8 months on the waiting list for the laparoscopy.

chocolateiamydrug Tue 13-Mar-18 13:30:23

I very much doubt you would be able to enjoy your holiday so soon after. I would definitely change surgery even if it means waiting longer.

Sirzy Tue 13-Mar-18 13:32:10

I think you need to speak to your insurance before making any decisions.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 13-Mar-18 13:32:13

I had one about 18 years ago and went into work the next day and was fine apart from a sore shoulder and the stich in my belly button. Obviously everyone is different so it's a bit hard to say.

mummyhaschangedhername Tue 13-Mar-18 13:38:52

I've has a couple, one the same as you but nothing was done and another where I had my gall bladder removed when 17 weeks pregnant with twins! Both times I was absolutely fine, obviously a bit sore but nothing terrible. I flew about 5 days after mine but it was just an internal flight because I thought an hour in a plane would be more comfortable than 10 hours driving.

Personally I wouldn't want to attempt it, you never know what will happen if something needs does and they have to revert to an open procedure.

In addition, while I was absolutely fine, back home cooking tea the next day, 8 was sore (although I think the second time it was more due to my stitches being stretched over a quickly growing pregnancy bump. However, I know others who have found it horrendous. I remember a friend having it down a few weeks before mine, she was very upset when they told her it was time to go home and couldn't even manage to pick her handbag up. There is absolutely no way of knowing how you'll be unfortunately.

Will your travel insurance refund cancellations? And what's the latest they will allow it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: