Talk

Advanced search

To let DD have a day off

(56 Posts)
doubtingmyself18 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:34:02

Have recently moved house (back home after having to move to a new area) me and DH are both SO busy with work, new jobs, obviously wanting to make good impressions.
DD 10 made a passing comment this morning about me and dad being so busy and always at work. I'm off tomorrow WIBU to let her have the day off school to spend some quality time with her? My heart broke when she said it because she's such a good kid and never causes us any hassle 😔 unlike her older sibling (my DSC) who is a fucking nightmare and always causing drama which she obviously notices 😩

Snowmagedon Tue 13-Mar-18 10:35:45

Yes I would. She will remember this, be great for her self esteem etc.

Deshasafraisy Tue 13-Mar-18 10:37:07

I would keep her off and plan a lovely day for you both. You only get one life.

ThymeLord Tue 13-Mar-18 10:40:10

I would, wouldn't give it a second thought tbh.

RedPandaMama Tue 13-Mar-18 10:40:26

Things like this are SO important.

You sound like a great parent. Keep her off and do something fun even if it's just a pyjama day or baking together. My parents were always very strict but there was one day where I said to my dad the night before 'I never see you' - he worked 7-7 and I went to bed shortly after while I was little. He said he felt awful so told me to tell the teacher I felt sick when my mum took me into school the next morning. He came and collected me then took me to the park and we had chocolate for lunch. I was only about 6 but I still remember it.

parkermoppy Tue 13-Mar-18 10:59:43

100% do it.

It's just a day but its spontaneous and lovely and she won't forget it!

meme70 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:03:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Idontdowindows Tue 13-Mar-18 11:04:34

I would give her a day off school and spend some quality time together. smile

PurplePirate Tue 13-Mar-18 11:06:22

What's wrong with having a really good day with her at the weekends?

Mishappening Tue 13-Mar-18 11:08:03

Sounds like a lovely idea. The fact that your DD is of school age does not mean you have lost all rights to making decisions about her well-being and happiness.

Have a truly lovely day!

AjasLipstick Tue 13-Mar-18 11:22:14

Pirate I assume because of the step sibling OP mentioned...who she says is a nightmare. OP probably wants some time alone with her DD.

MissP103 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:25:19

Yanbu, sounds like she really needs it. Do something special with her and it would mean the world.

doubtingmyself18 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:27:46

Aside from the nightmare sibling I work in the catering industry - my weekends are rarely mine

Sirzy Tue 13-Mar-18 11:28:01

I would make time at the weekend. I assume she has also just started at a new school if you have moved area so time off possibly not a good idea and even so I don’t think it is a good idea.

bridgetreilly Tue 13-Mar-18 11:29:49

I would plan some time to do nice things in the Easter holidays rather than take her off school tomorrow.

doubtingmyself18 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:29:54

@meme70 I'm not sure what you're insinuating but my DD is not neglected she's just feeling it a little recently that mum and dad have new jobs and working a lot of hours. She certainly isn't fucking depressed she's just a really good kid who thankfully behaves nothing like her sibling. Thanks for the attempted guilt bomb tho!!

FranticallyPeaceful Tue 13-Mar-18 11:31:29

Absolutely. I’d be tempted to give her a couple tbh

yorkshireyummymummy Tue 13-Mar-18 11:32:03

Do it. 100% do it.
You will never ever regret doing it for the joy and memories it will bring your DD.
But you might regret not doing it.
Think of the look on her face when you tell her she’s having the day off with you!!
I hope you have a gorgeous day together and hope that your dd will remember it always.

yorkshireyummymummy Tue 13-Mar-18 11:33:49

Ignore meme70.
I can barely understand what she is trying to say anyway but I get the gist, and she should stop with the snarky comments.

Oly5 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:37:07

I’d do it, but stress to her that it’s a one-off. Let her choose the treat - pyjama day etc. She will remember it forever

MichaelBendfaster Tue 13-Mar-18 11:38:03

TBH I wouldn't take her out of school. I know this is it taken to its most extreme conclusion, but this situation could end up with her commenting on your busyness every time she felt you were working a lot and you agonising over your parenting/taking her out every time.

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 13-Mar-18 11:40:24

yorkshiremummy
I think meme70 is perhaps not writing in her native language. Your post sounds very judgy.

I also agree with the consensus to let your dd have the day off.

Pastaagain78 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:51:44

I would. She will remember it forever.

MadisonAvenue Tue 13-Mar-18 11:52:19

Do it! Have a lovely day with her, she'll always remember you doing this.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 13-Mar-18 11:53:40

What about the "nightmare" older sibling? Won't she think it's unfair?
I don't think it's helpful to compare the two children and label one good and one bad, or to show your favouritism. Sorry sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: