Talk

Advanced search

Ken Dodd marriage

(150 Posts)
BringMeTea Mon 12-Mar-18 22:39:02

To be delighted he married his partner of 40 years 3 days before he died? I have known of several cases where unmarried long term partners end up with nothing and the government take the lot. Given his historical very public tax evasion case (which he won afaik) it must have put his mind at rest to know his partner would inherit.

Liverbird77 Mon 12-Mar-18 22:41:47

I am made up they did it. Good for them.

retirednow Mon 12-Mar-18 22:47:10

Its a lovely story, that's why its so important people leave a Will stating who is to inherit your property and money.

Butterymuffin Mon 12-Mar-18 22:51:27

Don't see why they didn't do it earlier tbh. Why wait?

Fortybingowings Mon 12-Mar-18 22:52:42

He’s avoided her having a massive inheritance tax bill by getting married. Good tax planning advice!

retirednow Mon 12-Mar-18 22:53:22

Ive known several people get married shortly before,they die, its a committment and something many people find peace with.

BringMeTea Mon 12-Mar-18 22:54:23

Exactly. I kind of want to highlight it as a public service announcement too. My friend’s mum married her step dad fairly recently after 31 years together. He died less than 2 years later. He had raised my friend and her 2 sisters and his own dd. He had 2 sons who were raised by their mother. He was estranged from the sons. I know not why but they were criminal wasters as adults. These sons did not attend the funeral. They did however try to claim an inheritance. Had they not married they would have succeeded. Get your wills in order people.

GrooovyLass Mon 12-Mar-18 22:58:41

I've promised DP I'll marry him on his deathbed and made him promise he'll marry me on mine. I don't want to get married but I don't want to die a spinster either!

BringMeTea Mon 12-Mar-18 23:01:45

Well GrooovyLass that’s another angle too. grin

MichaelBendfaster Mon 12-Mar-18 23:07:51

DP and I have no desire to get married, for various reasons. It galls me that only a marriage is considered enough of a relationship for a tax break.

I want civil partnerships for straight couples. Or just to be able to write a will knowing that DP would get the sweet FA everything I own, and vice versa, by dint of us having been together over 20 years.

Anyway, RIP Ken. One of the last living vestiges of great British variety entertainment. Possibly the last one, actually.

Fruitbat1980 Mon 12-Mar-18 23:13:39

Friend of my parents been with his partner 20 years, found out he had cancer (treatable) went to solicitor, said how does he make sure she’s looked after, he advised to get married ASAP. They did. He 2 weeks later, he does 3 weeks later. Awful. But he went knowing she would be ok.

wildduckhunt Mon 12-Mar-18 23:14:01

It's almost as if common law husbands and wives aren't a real legal thing.

Bluelady Mon 12-Mar-18 23:15:07

They're not.

Fruitbat1980 Mon 12-Mar-18 23:15:15

Lordy - spelling disaster. They got married 2 weeks later he does 3 weeks after that. Unexpected complication. Awful.

CotswoldStrife Mon 12-Mar-18 23:15:39

It also meant that his partner could use the title of Lady - I wonder why he didn't do it when he got his honour? IIRC Terry Wogan obtained dual nationality so he and his wife could use his title.

RIP Ken. Lots of his quotes coming out now, but I liked the tweet about his funeral going on for days from another comedian grin His shows were known for being lengthy!

wildduckhunt Mon 12-Mar-18 23:15:41

I know...

Fruitbat1980 Mon 12-Mar-18 23:16:09

*dies <bloody auto correct> on the upside at least it’s not a word I type often.
RIP ken Dodd.

Alwayscheerful Mon 12-Mar-18 23:16:30

I would imagine the decision was based on inheritance tax, his whole estate will pass to his wife free of tax

MargotLovedTom1 Mon 12-Mar-18 23:17:54

Michael you could just write a will bequeathing everything to your partner, couldn't you? confused

BringMeTea Mon 12-Mar-18 23:18:32

Yes Widduck let’s keep getting that out there. Don’t let HMG or anyone other than who you choose get their hands on your hard earned mullah.
Plus, I am fond of Ken as he was clearly not a Yew Yree abuser. End of an era kind of person.

MargotLovedTom1 Mon 12-Mar-18 23:18:54

"Can" rather than could.

Bluelady Mon 12-Mar-18 23:19:10

Spouses don't pay inheritance tax, non spouses do.

BringMeTea Mon 12-Mar-18 23:22:13

Oh Fruitbat my phone keeps doing that to me. We all get you! And yes, spouses won’t get hit for more tax? Again, given his personal experiences that will have meant so much before he died.

MichaelBendfaster Mon 12-Mar-18 23:22:36

Margot, yes, but much of it would be taken for inheritance tax.

AnnieAnoniMouse Mon 12-Mar-18 23:25:15

I’ve only just heard he died, very sad for his family & friends and I feel a great sadness that pretty much all of his generation of entertainers have gone now. I hope they’re having a blast, wherever they may be!

I’m glad they got married, I’m sure they had their reasons for not doing it sooner.

RIP Ken Dodd & The Diddymen

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: