Talk

Advanced search

To be horrified at these baby products??

(8 Posts)
SavReeWil Mon 12-Mar-18 19:15:50

Over the weekend I was casually researching the Dr brown options bottles, about using without the vent, when I came across a comment stating "I wouldn't use the bottles at all anyway, as they have replaced the BPA with BPS" after seeing the comment I looked into BPS (bisphenol S) and found its just as bad as BPA. It's used as a replacement. Along with/or BPF. Which again is just as bad. It can effect hormones (endocrine-disrupting chemical) and more.

The companies do not have to test for these. Only BPA is banned. So I emailed a few companies. The ones I use at home. Dr brown's response was our products are BPA free. Completely ignored my questions about the other 2. Lanisoh state they are free from BPA and BPS (the only ones I could find that at least don't have Bps) but no mention of BPF and responded they do not have to legally test for it. (But they state bps free when they don't legally have to test for it) and munchkin said the same they do not have the legal requirement to test for BPS and BPF.

This to me says either they know it's in there. Or are to scared to find that it is because then what would they do.

I can't believe I've been using these products with my 2 years old Ds and 7 month old ds.

These so called baby brands aren't actually concerned about what is in their products as long as it meets the legal requirements. The fact they are baby brands means they should go the extra mile to test they are safe.

Aibu to be firstly horrified that I've used these products with my children and secondarily that these brands should be looking further into this?!

PeapodBurgundy Mon 12-Mar-18 23:09:45

The brands don't care about anything other that making money. They stay within the law to avoid being used, and do no more to keep babies and families safe. It's across the board with baby products from the way formula is marketed (NOT formula bashing at all, I combi fed for a while, I just dislike the way companies give out misleading information), to unsafe sleep aids, cot bumpers, unsafe baby carriers, car seats that only meet the minimum standards. It's scary, but I doubt it will ever change.

YABU to be horrified with yourself, you can only do your best with what you know. Now you know more about the plastic bottles, you could use glass if you aren't happy with the information you now have. It's not like you deliberately did something unsafe with your children.

YANBU to be horrified with the companies though 🙂

pawpatrolearworm Mon 12-Mar-18 23:11:35

you don't want to believe everything you read on the internet.

SavReeWil Tue 13-Mar-18 08:15:26

pawpatrolearworm in what way?

pawpatrolearworm Tue 13-Mar-18 09:47:05

in the way of you don't want to believe everything you read on the internet.

stargirl1701 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:51:00

Plastic leaches as it is heated and/or ages.

Use glass instead. We used the NUK glass bottles with latex teats. There are other glass options too.

Companies generally exist to make money for their shareholders. They do not care about human health or the environment.

stargirl1701 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:52:06

https://www.nuk.co.uk/product/nuk-first-choice-240ml-glass-bottle-with-size-1-latex-teat/

elefunk Tue 13-Mar-18 10:05:08

I use life factory if you're looking for glass options.
But I agree, it's scary, DH thought I was so over top when I was researching and looking for products!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: