Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be a little concerned that DS is still "Working towards" age related expectations

(14 Posts)
ScoutFinchMockingbird Mon 12-Mar-18 16:26:22

DS is in Year 2 and we've just had his report for Spring term. I know there's still a whole term left to go, but this time last year, he was already working at age related expectations. Now he's still working towards them. Should I start worrying (especially with SATS coming up), or will do kids normally get there by the end of the year? Nothing teacher has said in the past has really raised concerns (although handwriting is an issue raised again and again, so nothing new there).
Targets are to tidy up written work, and apply number / problem solving to word based problems.

dayandnightshapes Mon 12-Mar-18 16:29:11

He's 7, I really wouldn't worry. Is he happy and enjoys reading and being at school?
Have the school flagged any problems?

DalekDalekDalek Mon 12-Mar-18 16:30:33

What would be the point in them setting targets that were all met half way through the year? As long as he is working towards them does it matter?

dayandnightshapes Mon 12-Mar-18 16:31:18

Just read it properly.I wouldn't be concerned. Handwriting comes with time. Certain pencils, seats etc can all help with handwriting, also hand exercises (play doh etc) can all help with strengthening those hand muscles.
If you have worries then send the teacher an email and get some reassurance

TIRFandProud Mon 12-Mar-18 16:40:40

It sounds like more work and practice at home won't go amiss but nothing to be too concerned about.

Trust the teachers. Ask them what they think?

BAME isn't exactly the same but remember that 49% of children will be under average.

ScoutFinchMockingbird Mon 12-Mar-18 17:03:18

We do work with DS at home, but possibly not enough. The handwriting has improved a lot if DS concentrates and slows down, but his personality type is one of rushing to get things done and go off and have fun!

sirlee66 Mon 12-Mar-18 17:11:46

If he is writing to quickly, try recording one sentence verbally (use a talking tin or even just on your phone) play it back as many times as he needs and write it down. Record next sentence, play back, write it down. repeat.

NailsNeedDoing Mon 12-Mar-18 17:22:56

Remember the age related expectations are very high, they expect a huge amount from such young children.

Just keep on working on the targets at home, word based number problems can easily be incorporated into chats you have at home or in the car. The most important thing is that they are progressing.

Kangar00 Mon 12-Mar-18 17:24:00

Post a photo of his independent writing

ScoutFinchMockingbird Mon 12-Mar-18 17:24:21

But my worry is that if he falls behind now, he may never catch up.

elliejjtiny Mon 12-Mar-18 17:27:56

Talk to the teachers. If they aren't worried then it's fine. My son is getting "working well below average" for the attainment part and then "secure" for effort so he's quite a way below average but he is trying hard.

ScoutFinchMockingbird Tue 13-Mar-18 08:51:28

bump

OutyMcOutface Tue 13-Mar-18 08:53:37

Bare in mind that his age will also come into play. If he is one of the youngest in the class you should expect him to be a bit behind.

Sirzy Tue 13-Mar-18 08:54:17

If he is making progress then I wouldn’t worry too much. It’s not some sort of race

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: