Advanced search

To wonder if this is the most greedy Freecycle post ever

(151 Posts)
Coconuthusk Mon 12-Mar-18 11:31:42

I went on to offer an item today. Saw the following post (minus the text speak/spelling errors):

Wanted: TV (so far so good)
Must be in excellent condition (OK). I only want a decent make eg Samsung (Hmmm). Must have 4 sockets (not sure what this means) and be 42" minimum although bigger would be better (isn't it always). I want black but would accept silver (very generous I'm sure). Send pictures and your telephone number for consideration and I will contact you if I will take it. I need it by the weekend so if I can't have it by then don't email me (wow!). I can collect but would prefer delivery (as if anyone would even respond to this!).

Trinity66 Mon 12-Mar-18 11:33:32

I wonder how many offers they will get grin

miniaga Mon 12-Mar-18 11:33:46

grin I saw one asking for a new laptop. As in, it couldn’t be an ‘old’ one. I just thought, good luck with that!

SparklyMagpie Mon 12-Mar-18 11:33:52

Cheeky bastard

Thehop Mon 12-Mar-18 11:35:06

I can’t believe someone dared post that!

I hope they get sod all!

Just shows how bloody entitled some people are!!!

Coconuthusk Mon 12-Mar-18 11:35:13

Miniage, maybe it was the don't ask, don't get theory?

blackbunny Mon 12-Mar-18 11:36:15

Perhaps they'd like you to deliver it personally,plug it in and make you a cuppa while you put your feet up to watch.

Echobelly Mon 12-Mar-18 11:36:20

I've seen people asking for cars! At least they're usually saying 'just as long as it goes, or even needs repairing', so I guess if you had something that had 0 resale value maybe you might, but doubt it would pass MOT!

miniaga Mon 12-Mar-18 11:39:27

Yeah I think it’s, ‘don’t ask, don’t get’ and will turn out to be ‘asks, doesn’t get, baffled as to why due to total lack of self awareness’ grin

Biscusting Mon 12-Mar-18 11:40:08

I don’t know why this hasn’t occurred to me before! The man/woman is a genius!

I’d like a new iPad and a yacht. Delivered. Don’t phone me unless the yacht comes with staff.

Malbecfan Mon 12-Mar-18 11:41:17

Got rid of MiL's car on Freecycle. The car failed its MOT, was ancient and it saved us the scrapyard fee. The young man who collected it with his dad on a low loader was a trainee mechanic who was desperate for some wheels and the experience of rebuilding a car. He even gave MiL a small box of chocolates as he was so pleased.

I agree about the TV though - I've seen similar with computer games consoles. Cheeky sods!

abigailsnan Mon 12-Mar-18 11:46:09

Surprised they didn't request a new reclining sofa to watch it on cheeky sod.

ivenoideawhatimdoing Mon 12-Mar-18 11:49:00

Just lol, some people are bloody outrageous!

Coconuthusk Mon 12-Mar-18 11:49:33

Malbecfan - what a lovely experience!

I use it to get rid of stuff as a last resort these days. I'm fed up of people not turning up, lack of manners and "I'll have it" emails.

Orchardgreen Mon 12-Mar-18 11:49:34

I saw one asking for a Fortnum and Mason hamper for daughter's uni room.

Johnnycomelately1 Mon 12-Mar-18 11:50:51

I've seen people asking for cars! At least they're usually saying 'just as long as it goes, or even needs repairing', so I guess if you had something that had 0 resale value maybe you might, but doubt it would pass MOT!

Ive given a car away before. It was low value and unsellable as gear box shagged and paint work pretty bad but it did go and was MOT'd.

miniaga Mon 12-Mar-18 11:51:27

I don’t think some people understand the difference between freecycle and writing a letter to Santa

Johnnycomelately1 Mon 12-Mar-18 11:54:54

I saw one asking for a Fortnum and Mason hamper for daughter's uni room.

Again, that's worth an ask assuming they just meant the actual hamper and not the contents. Some people get one annually at Christmas and then what do you do with the wicker basket?? You feel bad throwing them. However, doubt there's a massive crossover between people browsing free cycle ad people with multiple hampers in their garages.

alibubbles Mon 12-Mar-18 11:55:43

I put some quite expensive items on our local free cycle page to benefit those who may need them, I don't ask for reasons why they might like them, just that they be collected, when they say they will.

Some cf responded, "yea, I'll av 'em, but you CAN deliver on this day at this time or this time on this day, and can I put new battrees (sic) in it too!

MerryMarigold Mon 12-Mar-18 11:57:40

That's brilliant.

TheTab Mon 12-Mar-18 12:06:43

I have seen these threads before and logged onto our local Freecycle hoping for an hour's amusement.

Either we don't have CFs around here or people are genuinely desperate.

I was disappointed.

Bloomed Mon 12-Mar-18 12:11:23

Orchardgreen love the specificity that it must be Fortnum's. Not just any hamper. Clearly wants the daughter to make some kind of impression at university. hmm

fleshmarketclose Mon 12-Mar-18 12:14:01

I put on a full load of bedding and soft furnishings, all Next,all matching, all as good as new, rug,cushions, curtains,lamp etc etc. Put to collect only as seeing as I was giving it away I didn't want to deliver as well. Had three responses all saying they wanted it but needed it delivering asap. One was from someone a five minute walk away.
Ended up posting it was taken and asked BHF charity to collect instead. They came two days later and took the lot. Probably do the same next time I have something to get rid of tbh.

SoupDragon Mon 12-Mar-18 12:14:15

That is amazingly cheeky, OP!

Our local one has a request for an Apple Watch or Fitbit but they had the decency to admit it was a very long shot!

daisychain01 Mon 12-Mar-18 12:16:33

It's a great example to show one's children of "here's what entitled looks like, don't ever become like this"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now