Talk

Advanced search

To question the headteacher

(35 Posts)
Bonnie7 Sun 11-Mar-18 22:06:55

To try and be brief... my son was punched in the face at school by another child who he tried to help after the boy slipped over. Apparently the boy was embarrassed at falling over and took it out on my DS as he said DS giggled at him slipping over.
The headteacher was alerted to the incident by a dinner lady and my DS said he felt bad at giggling but had also rushed to help the boy when no-one else had. He said the punch in the face he received was a huge shock. He really cried about it at home and said it had really shaken him.
The headteacher commended DS (over the phone to me the next day) and said he was to be awarded with a assembly mention and award for honesty & kindness. I didn’t mention this to DS as I though the surprise would be lovely for him.
So on Friday afternoon driving home with my 3DS I asked if the day had gone well... imagine my shock to hear that not only had DS not been awarded anything (which is fine in itself, perhaps it will happen another week?) but the one person who did get an award was the boy who punched DS!! And the award was for... “setting a good example”!!!
What would you do/say to the headteacher?? Anything? Nothing?? I don’t want to make a fuss and am only worrying now with the school run to face in the morning! The headteacher usually stands at the gate welcoming the kids into school.
Further info... the school seems to constantly award the kids of parents who are always in the office, having issues, creating dramas etc. I tend to do the school run and donate to fundraising etc but not get involved in any drama...

ChasedByBees Sun 11-Mar-18 22:08:16

I would raise it absolutely.

NailsNeedDoing Sun 11-Mar-18 22:08:57

Yes, question the headteacher.

Funnyface1 Sun 11-Mar-18 22:27:05

Surely she has mixed up the boys? Definitely speak to her about it.

Jamiefraserskilt Sun 11-Mar-18 22:37:45

Absolutely. Go for it

Giraffey1 Sun 11-Mar-18 22:40:13

What? That sounds crazy. I’d definitely raise it with the school.

BigBairyHollocks Sun 11-Mar-18 23:17:23

Yeh I would raise that.What was he good example he was supposed to have shown?thank goodness you hadn’t mentioned to your son that he was up for an award,it would’ve been gutting for him not to get one and the other boy to get one instead!

Allthewaves Sun 11-Mar-18 23:21:03

Sounds like the school mix up the boys - not good

CotswoldStrife Sun 11-Mar-18 23:22:49

Yes, I would raise that. It does sound like something has gone awry there!

DrunkUnicorn Sun 11-Mar-18 23:26:52

Surely this was a mistake? I'd be raising merry hell if it wasn't!

Dontfuckingsaycheese Sun 11-Mar-18 23:31:35

Yes. Raise it. Especially as head told you specifically. That's bloody shit. I sat through 2 assemblies one week after another while the child who punched my son in the stomach got a bloody unheard of 2 weeks in a row shining light award. I was fuming. Particularly as, when they told me they put ALL the blame on my son saying he provoked him.
I wish I'd said something.
Sometimes the fucking injustice of it all makes you want to sob sad
Do it. Say it to head. Just ask him why, when he told you that.

Vangoghsear Sun 11-Mar-18 23:38:18

Yes, raise it with the headteacher and if the response is unsatisfactory write a strongly worded letter to Chair of Govs (you might even suggest you are thinking of raising it with Ofsted as a safeguarding issue). But it is to be hoped that it was a genuine, if appalling, mistake.

seasaltartichoke Mon 12-Mar-18 00:22:30

Move schools. This Head has no idea what he's doing, evidently.

lalalalyra Mon 12-Mar-18 00:26:58

I would absolutely raise that with the Head. Then depending on the answer I would consider further steps afterward.

user1483887562 Mon 12-Mar-18 01:00:03

It is possible the other child got an award for something you know nothing of and your son's award is next week. He punched your son whites wrong but there is no evidence that he should be rewarded for something you know nothing of.

Why undermine the teacher?

Bonnie7 Mon 12-Mar-18 11:06:53

Thanks for your replies, I’m about to ring the school... wish me luck!

Globetrotter100 Mon 12-Mar-18 11:08:47

Wishing you luck!

itstimeforanamechange Mon 12-Mar-18 11:50:34

Keep us updated OP. It does sound like the HT has mixed the two boys up.

Duckyneedsaclean Mon 12-Mar-18 11:52:17

Any luck with the school op?

Fugitivefrombrusstice Mon 12-Mar-18 11:54:05

Let us know how it goes - sounds like she mixed the children up which is terrible for a head teacher to do!

MerryMarigold Mon 12-Mar-18 11:54:55

O no. How embarrassing for the head?

Bonnie7 Mon 12-Mar-18 13:20:39

Thanks for the good wishes! I’m currently waiting for the head to call me back as she’s covering a teacher who’s taken some pupils on a trip.
I appreciate all the messages. It’s really not in my nature to complain, I’m generally happy with the school.
I can’t see how it could be a mix up as it’s a very small school.
I just think it sends out the wrong message to pupils... assault another child and you get an award the following week, wether it be for good work or whatever!
My DS also told me that the punishment of the child having to miss playtimes for a week only lasted two days also.. again sending very mixed messages to the kids!

ChasedByBees Mon 12-Mar-18 23:53:42

Did she get back to you?

Stompythedinosaur Tue 13-Mar-18 00:25:20

I wpuld both question why your d's didn't get their award and why the child who assaulted your d's got an award for being a good example!

5plusMeAndHim Tue 13-Mar-18 02:29:13

Your ds was in the wrong to laugh at a boy in pain and distress.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: