Talk

Advanced search

Tight friends taking my tip to cover their meal costs

(316 Posts)
alid117 Sun 11-Mar-18 20:58:40

Just been out for a meal with group of friends & some of their friends for a shared birthday. Lovely evening all agreed at start just to pay for what we have to eat and drink as some driving and some not - quite organised. Four out of the 14 of us worked out our share plus £5 tip added on each (great service from staff) then pasted on the receipt down to next lot. At the end heard one of the girls go to the waiter ‘sorry it’s not a huge tip’ and when asked how much had they left was told just £6!!! WTF!!! I was literally gagged by friend who didn’t want a scene...CF alert!

McTufty Sun 11-Mar-18 21:01:25

Disgusting behaviour

bimbobaggins Sun 11-Mar-18 21:02:16

There really is no end to some people’s cheek. Cheeky tight b’s but more fool your friend for not letting you say anything. A quick what happened to our £20 tip would have been ok

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 11-Mar-18 21:02:31

Maybe I'm coming over as a tight arse now, but I wouldnt say £6 is a small amount.
I mean yes it's not a lot, but it's certainly not a little either. If they got that off every table. They wouldn't be doing so bad

Nocabbageinmyeye Sun 11-Mar-18 21:02:40

shock they effectively stole your money, you didn't need to make a scene to say it, this is why people like that keep doing shit like this, people keep letting them

Iloveacurry Sun 11-Mar-18 21:03:28

I wouldn’t want to go out with them again. Surprised no one said anything.

bimbobaggins Sun 11-Mar-18 21:04:36

I would say £6 out of a table is a small amount awwlook*

bimbobaggins Sun 11-Mar-18 21:05:02

Table of 14

GeekyBlinders Sun 11-Mar-18 21:05:10

It was a meal for 14 people! Unless they dined at McDonalds, it's an incredibly mean tip. I've had people do this to me, OP, so now I always chuck my share for the meal in, and then at the end announce "And £xx for the tip from me". Usually everyone else then chips in for the tip.

TheRebel Sun 11-Mar-18 21:05:21

wow that is so cheeky! Next time keep your tip separate and hand it directly to the staff.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 11-Mar-18 21:05:56

Sorry I think I read that wrong. Your friend took money from everyone to pay for her food. Instead of passing on the money for the tip Have I got that right.
If so That's not just cheeky fuckeryness. It's stealing.

Eltonjohnssyrup Sun 11-Mar-18 21:08:22

£6 is a small amount if you have eaten £50 worth of food.

I think you need to contact the people who left less than the cost of the food they ate and ask them to return the shortfall of what they actually ate to what they paid so that it can be returned to the other diners.

They have stolen.

RavenclawRealist Sun 11-Mar-18 21:08:53

So either no one else put a little tip in and someone else didn't pay enough or a few people have basically had a free meal! I'd have had to say something! Everyone has the choice to tip, but they don't have the right to use money others have given for themselves!

Fekko Sun 11-Mar-18 21:10:02

I probably would have shouted down the table 'well £5 was from me, £5 from Jill, £5 from Mary, £5 from Bill - I demand a recount!'.

But then I only hate I will thing more than meanness and that's stealing.

Glassofredandapackofcrisps Sun 11-Mar-18 21:10:48

Disgusting. I used to eat out with someone who never left a tip even for great service. It's just mean and frankly quite embarrassing. Yours is even worse. Just awful behaviour.

TroubledLichen Sun 11-Mar-18 21:11:44

Disgusting behaviour. I have a very close group of friends and we’ve known each other since school. One girl was told in no uncertain terms that she was no longer welcome at our get to togethers after regularly pulling shit like this. If it was a case of lack of funds then I’d be more sympathetic but we knew 110% that this wasn’t the case.

LoveSchoolHolidays Sun 11-Mar-18 21:12:23

YANBU

Everyone agreed to pay for what they used and they didn’t Cheeky As Fuck. They have effectively stolen your money!

bimbobaggins Sun 11-Mar-18 21:15:49

£6 between 14 is only 42 pence tip per person so they have stolen £4.58 from you and your 3 friends, never mind what anyone else tipped

Bodicea Sun 11-Mar-18 21:15:51

So that’s £60 missing - a few people put nothing in? Unless not many people put a £5 tip in? I think that’s more likely. If I was asked to pay my share plus a tip at a large group meal I would add a couple of quid. I wouldn’t tell anyone what tip they had to put in. And if anyone told me I had to put a fiver in I wouldn’t be impressed and would prob refuse. A fiver is a lot per person.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Sun 11-Mar-18 21:17:22

That is stealing, plain and simple.

MrsDesireeCarthorse Sun 11-Mar-18 21:19:44

Awlook, at least £20 was put in as a tip by the OP and the friends with her. It was then nicked by the people further down.

Scummy!

expatinscotland Sun 11-Mar-18 21:20:08

WHY does no one ever say anything to fuckers like this? I'll never understand that. All 14 of you sat there po-faced and let your so-called mates rip you off and the server, too? This is how people get away with this. These people are NOT friends. Friends don't steal off you. Can't believe no one's called them and still no one's saying anything to them. If you lay down like a rug, don't be surprised if people wipe their feet on you.

KERALA1 Sun 11-Mar-18 21:21:04

That's theft op, not bad manners.

And don't let this turn into a "we never tip and that's fine" thread these people reasonably and decently decided to tip and a thief stole that tip. Simple as that.

notacooldad Sun 11-Mar-18 21:23:33

Maybe I'm coming over as a tight arse now, but I wouldnt say £6 is a small amount.
I mean yes it's not a lot, but it's certainly not a little either. If they got that off every table. They wouldn't be doing so bad

So missing the point and beside which it sounds like a decent size group so proportionally it doesn't sound great.
I wouldn't have been able to keep quiet in my friend's tried to rip me and my other friends off.

hotcrossbunsandtea Sun 11-Mar-18 21:23:34

Did you agree on tips beforehand? Not everyone agrees with tipping.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: