Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why we were a thinner nation before we all knew so much about food.

(359 Posts)
Bumblebumble123 Thu 08-Mar-18 23:08:57

Isn't it funny that in years gone by, people didn't have the knowledge about food they have now. Peoples diets weren't dictated by calories or grams of fat or carbs, they were dictated by hunger. Yet now we have an obesity epidemic.

Is educating people on food counter productive? Would we all be better to scrap the info and start listening to our bodies?

I don't know the answer. I just find it odd that we know more than ever about food yet the nations waistline is getting bigger.

DextroDependant Thu 08-Mar-18 23:10:45

I think it is more to do with food being more easily produced, convinient and readily available and jobs becoming less manual. Even doing the laundry. Cars are more prevalent etc

NotAllTimsWearCapes Thu 08-Mar-18 23:12:15

You think we’re overweight because we know more about food? You can’t be serious?

MsVestibule Thu 08-Mar-18 23:13:28

I don't think it has/had anything to do with lack of education. Food used to be much more expensive in relation to wages so people bought less of it, high calorie processed foods didn't exist (I guess there are fewer calories in a plate of chips, mash and veg than a bought pizza/lasagne?) and people naturally did a lot more exercise than we do now.

BackforGood Thu 08-Mar-18 23:13:39

You're joking, right ?

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Thu 08-Mar-18 23:13:51

Modern lifestyles mean that to remain a healthy size most of us need to moderate what we eat to some extent and make an effort to exercise

Our ancestors didn't have access to cheap calorie dense food and didn't drive everywhere

Information alone can't keep you slim!

Bumblebumble123 Thu 08-Mar-18 23:14:54

Dextro - that's been happening for an age. Think how many calories a caveman would have burned vs your average male 50 - 100 years ago. Why has the obesity worsened so much in the last decade or so?

IvorHughJarrs Thu 08-Mar-18 23:15:07

In those days they did not have processed foods, were far more active and did not eat huge portions or eat between meals because food was more scarce

Back then people had no cars so walked more and many jobs were more physical too

nancy75 Thu 08-Mar-18 23:16:05

If you think back to when we were kids (for me that’s the 80s) we didn’t have coffee shops everywhere, most food wasnt out of a packet and snacks between meals just wasn’t really a thing. If you went to your local high street you didnt sit down for tea & cake after half an hour. Our attitude to food has totally changed

Theresasmayshoes11 Thu 08-Mar-18 23:16:18

We moved more.

That’s it.

As a 70s kid we ate absolute crap. Raised on sweets, high fat processed food ( crispy findus pancakes and fray bentos pies) puddings!

But we were playing out all day and all weathers on our bikes (after school, no homework or after school activities,)

healthier lives physically although had to dodge teachers smoking in the class room snd parents st home grin

WorraLiberty Thu 08-Mar-18 23:17:25

I think it's coincidence.

The rise of the internet and therefore 'food knowledge', grew alongside far more stationary lifestyles/satellite TV/2 and 3 car families/takeaway deliveries and all the other things that help make people obese.

You can have as much knowledge as you like but if you overeat and under exercise, you'll nearly always have a weight problem.

Notcontent Thu 08-Mar-18 23:17:27

No, I don’t think so. In the past people just ate “normal” food and didn’t have to worry too much about the choices they were making.

Unfortunately now shops are full of highly processed salty, fatty and sugary junk that is very cheap and tastes good to many people. That’s why we need to be educated about food.

Ivebeenaroundtheblock Thu 08-Mar-18 23:17:41

the level of poverty meant people went hungry, which is pretty rare now a day.
photo's of people often show rather young people because they died young.
paintings were not done with any accuracy.

amymel2016 Thu 08-Mar-18 23:17:43

People didn't have sat down office jobs and then come home and sit infront of the TV. People also didn't eat between meals and each loads of processed foods and drinks.

ScreamingValenta Thu 08-Mar-18 23:17:43

I agree with Dextro. When I was growing up, two car families were rare (at least in my family's very middling circles). There wasn't the plethora of fast food delivery/drive through places there are now - a 'takeaway' meant a walk to the local chippy, not a phone call or online order giving a choice of dozens of cuisine types.

YouTheCat Thu 08-Mar-18 23:19:51

We are a lot more sedentary now. We eat more snacks between meals. High calorie food is an awful lot more readily available. So many takeaways delivered to your door.

And that's just off the top of my head.

NotAllTimsWearCapes Thu 08-Mar-18 23:22:35

OP there is a BBC2 programme called back in time for tea that is just finishing next week. You should be able to get it on catch up. It explores the food eaten by working class families in the north of England over the last century. I think you would find it answers your question. It’s a very interesting and enjoyable series.

Notcontent Thu 08-Mar-18 23:23:10

Theresasmayshoes - I think studies have shown that it’s not just about exercise. Even if you ate crap in the 70s, it wouldn’t have been in such large quantities as people eat today.

WorraLiberty Thu 08-Mar-18 23:24:20

Also when you had to actually leave the house to...

Pay your bills
Draw your child benefit
Buy your groceries (little and often as there were no fridges/freezers)
Go to the launderette (unless you handwashed or used a dodgy top loader).
Buy clothes

The list is endless really and even when you didn't leave the house, keeping the house clean without a hoover/making meals without all the mod cons etc, was a lot of exercise in itself.

Theresasmayshoes11 Thu 08-Mar-18 23:25:06

Yes!! again we used to move more. Now we have gym memberships because we need to do exercise.

I walked to school aged 6 with my sis aged 9 two miles to school and back again. And mom didn’t come with us. Can you imagine now wink

NotAllTimsWearCapes Thu 08-Mar-18 23:25:45

One epsiode shows the family have only one bacon rashers and bread to eat and they rasher goes to Dad who is a miner. Before Ben gets it though it is eased onto everyone else’s slice of bread for a bit of flavour. They had no butter. A later episode based in the 70’s shows them sitting down to a full English breakfast each.

NotAllTimsWearCapes Thu 08-Mar-18 23:26:03

Ben = he

NotAllTimsWearCapes Thu 08-Mar-18 23:27:28

Eased = pressed

Fuck you autocorrect hmm

Bluelady Thu 08-Mar-18 23:27:33

More processed food, less exercise, more fast food. And "treats" - the amount of icing on a cupcake is obscene. .

Theresasmayshoes11 Thu 08-Mar-18 23:28:55

Oh hours in the launderette as a kid. Six pence preices in the slot and turn.

Shaking folding in half and then walking to mom and she did the half fold.

Happy days and unless you 40+ and were working class kids you won’t recognise grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: