Talk

Advanced search

How to approach next door neighbours? Do I bother?

(26 Posts)
Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Wed 07-Mar-18 10:26:35

This is going to sound really stupid but we’ve lived in our house for two and a half months and have never got so much as a smile from the next door neighbour - in fact it feels like she actively avoids us! We moved in not long before Christmas and everything was really busy so I didn’t go round personally and introduce myself to everyone but did pop Christmas cards through the letterboxes and make an effort to say hello in the street so it’s not like we’ve been rude or anything, I don’t think? She just seems to completely blank me if I see her in the street and actually seems to avoid leaving the house at the same time as me.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not expecting a blossoming friendship or anything, I had just thought I might have had a hello by now. I actually had hoped I might be able to offer her teenage daughter some cash in exchange for a bit of pet sitting when we go away in the summer (just feeding rabbits and chickens, nothing difficult) but I don’t know how to approach them!

Rabblemum Wed 07-Mar-18 12:16:42

I’ve been put off my neighbors, they often smell of booze at strange times of the day, they lie a lot and make me feel depressed and drained. I probably won’t be over friendly when I move, I’ll only hang with people I meet through mutual interests now. Your “rude” may have just been burned too many times, keep being nice and they may turn.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »