Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet Vs Real life.

(1000 Posts)
KungFuPandaWorksOut16 Tue 06-Mar-18 11:44:34

Inspired by a comment on an active thread at the moment. The comment was along the lines of
"Only on mumsnet would you be advised this"

I've also seen it on a few threads where posters point out that only mumsnet would you be given this advice and never in real life.

So what advice/tips do you see mentioned on Mumsnet that you just don't think would be said in real life.

I'll start!
You can guarantee a poster will give the advice that OP needs to pack his bags and kick him out, on something really minor. They don't suggest being an adult and have a conversation first, it's straight away pack his bags and show him the door.

What other Mumsnet pearls of wisdom do we have?

pinkyredrose Tue 06-Mar-18 11:45:26

Log it with 101.

CaptainApollo Tue 06-Mar-18 11:47:09

Somebody over the age of 40 did a twatty thing. Could they have dementia??

thecatsthecats Tue 06-Mar-18 11:49:06

'I wouldn't call £40k a year a decent wage.'

(get your head out of your arse - you may want more money or not be able to countenance life without a cleaner, but you can at least have the basic decency to acknowledge that most people live on substantially less and that would be a dream salary)

'Why wouldn't you do something kind for your DCs?'

(asked in a plaintive tone (admittedly in my head) as if life must be sacrificed upon the altar of motherhood)

SneakyGremlins Tue 06-Mar-18 11:49:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LagunaBubbles Tue 06-Mar-18 11:50:01

Adult of any age doing a twatty thing - is there mental health issues?

DancesWithOtters Tue 06-Mar-18 11:50:13

@CaptainApollo same with SEN.

Some people are just cunts.

PoorYorick Tue 06-Mar-18 11:51:00

Being selfish, self centred or just disagreeable is certified Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

araiwa Tue 06-Mar-18 11:51:21

Sending an email / letter to people you could easily talk to instead dh, best friend etc

TheHulksPurplePants Tue 06-Mar-18 11:51:37

You drink more than the recommended units in a week, you're obviously a raging alcoholic and drink dependent. The majority of Mumsnet only has a shandy on Christmas Day.

needtogiveitablow Tue 06-Mar-18 11:52:04

“Take in ironing” if anyone states they are short on cash or living on the poverty line hmm

iklboo Tue 06-Mar-18 11:53:14

You can 'just get a credit card' when you're in dire financial straits. And you must have something you can flog on eBay.

frasier Tue 06-Mar-18 11:53:16

The SEN thing is huge on MN. On any other board or in RL I have never "met" as many people that have children with additional needs or suggest it if someone posts about their child's behaviour.

NotTakenUsername Tue 06-Mar-18 11:53:47

That you should describe the miracle of reproduction from start to finish using anatomically correct names for all body parts and that children should have a deep scientific knowledge of this by around the same time as they can recite their ABCs...

pasturesgreen Tue 06-Mar-18 11:54:43

Throwing food out bang on its use by date without first checking if it's still ok to eat.

NotTakenUsername Tue 06-Mar-18 11:54:53

That surely everyone must be able to afford £25.

HunterofStars Tue 06-Mar-18 11:55:48

Had a minor argument? LTB
Let your hungover husband look after the kids and have a spa day.

Downtheroadfirstonleft Tue 06-Mar-18 11:56:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Astrid2 Tue 06-Mar-18 11:56:54

Instead of confronting 'DH' about the possibility of an affair you must 'get your ducks in a row' and find valuable evidence before just asking outright. Make sure you have money and your passport... I don't really know what people think will happen to need a passport!

SneakyGremlins Tue 06-Mar-18 11:58:07

Make a chicken last a week easily!

needtogiveitablow Tue 06-Mar-18 11:59:44

Have at least 3 month salary in savings - obviously it would be nice to have this but it seems unfathomable to some that people really cannot afford it - hence taking in ironing wink

MereDintofPandiculation Tue 06-Mar-18 11:59:48

I don't really know what people think will happen to need a passport! Opening a new bank account, or doing anything where they want id.

WhiskyChick Tue 06-Mar-18 12:00:30

That inviting people to "just" the evening of a wedding is horribly bad form. Maybe it's a regional thing but everyone I know doesn't bat an eyelid unless you're close family

NotUmbongoUnchained Tue 06-Mar-18 12:01:57

Thankfully i don’t know anyone in real life who is like most of the people on mumsnet. I imagine a lot of Mumsnetters to have doilies and specific pen they use for writing letters of complaint.

Johnnycomelately1 Tue 06-Mar-18 12:02:18

People would not be at all disappointed if their kids became strippers or worked on the bins but would disown them if they became a banker or a Tory MP.

This thread is not accepting new messages.