Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not tip?

(164 Posts)
Blackteadrinker77 Mon 05-Mar-18 20:55:27

Why do we feel the need to tip waiters/waitresses and hair dressers but not other workers on the lowest wage?

I agreed with tipping before their pay was brought in to line with the NMW (as it was at the time) but now it feels wrong to tip them but you don't tip the cleaner who cleaned that restaurant who is on the same wage.

AIBU? Who do you tip and why?

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 05-Mar-18 21:12:37

I tip in restaurants solely for the reason that it is very socially unacceptable to not tip. I am aware of the screaming illogicality of it all. There are many comparable jobs where no one tips ever, like care work, retail or fast food work. Obviously care work is harder, more important and usually worse conditions.

Being nice, knowing about the menu and taking orders and bringing food and drink is the basic requirements of the job, so doesn't really deserve extra. And tips are often substantially extra, higher than the hourly rate. Also people confuse upselling with 'good service'. When they offer bread or olives for the table, extra sides or more drinks, they are trying to make people spend more, not being nice.

Really wish restaurants were more honest about prices and tipping was discontinued.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Mon 05-Mar-18 21:17:39

I don’t tip anyone; there’s no need to in a civilised country like the UK. Tips here are a bonus, whereas there are certain countries that don’t pay their staff enough so they literally have to survive on tips.

A lot of people only tip certain people and it’s very hypocritical. If you’re tipping one NMW worker, you should tip them all.

Shedmicehugh Mon 05-Mar-18 21:19:21

A lot of restaurants add a service charge to your bill!

Tipping is all a bit bonkers really!

PerrieGrey Mon 05-Mar-18 21:20:23

I only ever tip if the service was very good. I called Maplin the other day and spoke to the manager to let them know how impressed I was by a member of staff who was unbelievably helpful. It's nice to be recognised, but I think we have fallen in to the habit of tipping for the sake of tipping. I am a firm believer of working for your tips. I used to be a waitress and worked as a bartender for numerous places throughout my student years. I never expected a tip, even if the service I gave was outstanding!

Ellendegeneres Mon 05-Mar-18 21:21:25

I tip my cab driver if he’s helped me and put shopping by the door for me- I’m visibly disabled, so an easy tip. If they don’t, I don’t feel bad about holding my hand out for the change.

sugarycerealfan Mon 05-Mar-18 21:22:12

I agree with this OP (although I know many don't!)

I work in retail in a low paid job, and I don't get tipped - no reason why I should. But I then fail to understand why if I go for tea I'm expected to tip someone else on a similar wage to myself confused

Yeah I appreciate good service, but then I offer good service to all of my own customers.

MyBrilliantDisguise Mon 05-Mar-18 21:22:27

I noticed in NY last summer that a service charge was automatically added in nearly every restaurant and visitors to the city still tip as they just look at the final amount for the balance. It's hard to think that wasn't a deliberate ploy.

I would rather tip the chef than the waiter. Often that's involved very little work.

crazycatbaby Mon 05-Mar-18 21:24:33

Your hairdresser probably isn't on minimum wage wink
I generally tip in restaurants/taxis/getting beauty treatments. Not sure why only these things though! Hate the culture in the states where tips are expected, really annoys me

Blackteadrinker77 Mon 05-Mar-18 21:24:44

@ellendegeneres
Do you realise the average cab driver is on 18k a year if you are in the UK?
Again I do not tip in taxis/cabs

greendale17 Mon 05-Mar-18 21:25:44

*I don’t tip anyone; there’s no need to in a civilised country like the UK.*

^This

onemachine Mon 05-Mar-18 21:27:13

Agree with whattodo- I don’t tip either. They earn a NMW.

Ellendegeneres Mon 05-Mar-18 21:28:25

blacktea but the reality for me is if I can’t get a home delivery and the driver has done what I would struggle a lot with (I have a degenerative spine issue) then I feel it’s worth the additional pound or so I give them.

TheyBuiltThePyramids Mon 05-Mar-18 21:29:47

I always tip if the service is good. 10% as standard. Service staff don't earn a lot, and it's a job I did for many a year as a teen/student. Tips were HIGHLY appreciated.

BackforGood Mon 05-Mar-18 21:29:50

I agree with you, WhattoDo, and others.

I never understood why a couple of jobs seem to expect tips and dozens more on the same wage don't.

CadyHeron Mon 05-Mar-18 21:31:48

YANBU, totally weird and unnecessary in the UK. There's a minimum wage of nearly £8 an hour, and bizarre how some think they have to tip some workers for doing their job but wouldn't to someone else helping them in another job.

Ellendegeneres Mon 05-Mar-18 21:31:50

I think following on from that, it’s fair to point out that when I and my dp/dc eat out, we tip according to the actual service. If it’s been minimal and uninterested or poor service, no tip. If they’ve had a mess from my dc and haven’t handed me the dustpan and brush (oh yes, had that) then I consider it part of the price. It’s usually at most a couple of pounds. I’m on disability benefits, unable to work.
Hairdresser, wouldn’t know, only ever get fringe trimmed, can’t sit still long enough for a cut.

Mum2jenny Mon 05-Mar-18 21:32:40

I tend to round the amount due for taxi drivers, but only tip in a restaurant if it's either been very good food or excellent service.

Whatshallidonowpeople Mon 05-Mar-18 21:33:15

@ellendegeneres
Do you realise the average cab driver is on 18k a year if you are in the UK?
Again I do not tip in taxis/cabs

Where does this piece of info come from?

Blackteadrinker77 Mon 05-Mar-18 21:33:41

I always tip if the service is good

You tip your post man/woman, the cashier in the supermarket, call centre staff, carers, cleaners, I could go on.

Who do you tip? Who don't you tip?

Flockoftreegulls Mon 05-Mar-18 21:36:20

Have never tipped a hairdresser, I didn't know it was a thing

PerrieGrey Mon 05-Mar-18 21:36:23

Also. If I do tip, I always ask if they get to keep them. Sometimes up to 60% of tips to go management and none go to the kitchen staff! If you are going to tip, make sure you know where your money is going!

Blackteadrinker77 Mon 05-Mar-18 21:37:32

Where does this piece of info come from
Payscale.com

Blackteadrinker77 Mon 05-Mar-18 21:40:43

I think following on from that, it’s fair to point out that when I and my dp/dc eat out, we tip according to the actual service. If it’s been minimal and uninterested or poor service, no tip. If they’ve had a mess from my dc and haven’t handed me the dustpan and brush (oh yes, had that) then I consider it part of the price

The cleaner sorting that out does not get your tip, nor does the chef.

Ellendegeneres Mon 05-Mar-18 21:42:24

It’s not a cleaner who scoops up my toddlers mess though is it. It’s the waiting staff who have to prepare the table for the next group to be seated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: