Talk

Advanced search

To think there is nothing wrong with being lazy?

(85 Posts)
crunchymint Sun 04-Mar-18 13:59:03

I am not talking about neglecting your kids, but it seems to be seen as morally superior to be busy. Whereas I think there is nothing wrong with being lazy.

ladystarkers Sun 04-Mar-18 13:59:52

Agree

Dontoutmenow Sun 04-Mar-18 14:03:09

Agree. But PILs have a very different opinion. Very disapproving of anyone not doing something worthy!

ThisLittleKitty Sun 04-Mar-18 14:03:12

Yeh I agree. I have a friend who said she doesn't understand how any one gets bored because there is always something to do. She doesn't understand boredom at all and just puts it down to being lazy and she is more superior because she's so busy.

Knittedfairies Sun 04-Mar-18 14:03:12

I agree. It seems egregious to just do nothing... unless you say you are 'recharging your batteries'.

Whitegrenache Sun 04-Mar-18 14:03:23

In totally lazy.
I often have a afternoon nap whilst dd12 and ds 8 watch tv downstairs

LaCerbiatta Sun 04-Mar-18 14:05:50

Disagree when the lazy person is my visiting friends and I'm the busy one doing things for them angry

Crunchymum Sun 04-Mar-18 14:08:12

I think it's fine to have lazy time, but laziness as a personality trait is not a good thing!!

MerryShitmas Sun 04-Mar-18 14:12:23

Being lazy?
No.
A lazy day or hour? Fine.
But someone who's lazy would mean (imo) someone who does the best they can to never do anything useful.
From dressing their kids like a sack of spuds to choosing not to work, or if they do work being a complete skiver. The type that's always there late leaves early takes a 2 hr lunch break and spends most of their time at work doing sweet fuck all. "Lazy" housework wise is the kind of person who runs out of clean cutlery and has smelly clothes because they CBA making an effort or would rather play Xbox and smoke weed. To me that's lazy and not something to be envied, but having a lazy afternoon is perfectly fine...

crunchymint Sun 04-Mar-18 14:15:43

I am lazy with housework. But everyone wears clean ironed clothes. The house is hygienic, dishes washed and meals cooked.
But dusting needs doing, and some tidying up, and the garden is not great. So what?

Roystonv Sun 04-Mar-18 14:16:21

I love being lazy but only after daily chores are done otherwise you just sink into an unedifying stupor. So lazy with standards for me.smile

MerryShitmas Sun 04-Mar-18 14:16:56

Then you're not lazy, just normal, imo.
If you're not then I'm a slattern too! grin

lils888 Sun 04-Mar-18 14:17:19

As an adult with ADHD I would love to be lazy and not constantly busy. My mind is on a constant spin of things to do and they must be done straight away or the world will end of course.

Nothing wrong with "being lazy", in fact I think it's a wonderful thing that shouldn't be taken for granted. Saying that I get so much done in comparison to others I know and they seem to envy that. So I guess people using it as an insult are probably just jealous.grin

MereDintofPandiculation Sun 04-Mar-18 14:17:26

Wow! That's a bit of a step, from lazy on the housework front to smoking weed.

Don't see how boredom snuck in to the discussion. It's a useful lifeskill not to be bored, but that's quite independent of whether you're lazing around - indeed I'd say there was no point in having a lazy afternoon if you're bored by it.

mynameisLuca Sun 04-Mar-18 14:17:35

But someone who's lazy would mean (imo) someone who does the best they can to never do anything useful

Thats not the definition though, thats just you.

From dressing their kids like a sack of spuds to choosing not to work, or if they do work being a complete skiver etc etc

Now you're just being offensive hmm

missbattenburg Sun 04-Mar-18 14:18:18

Being lazy is linked to higher intelligence. Ever since I read that study I have wallowed in my laziness grin

BertieBotts Sun 04-Mar-18 14:18:21

Being lazy as in sedentary, yes, absolutely fine.

Being lazy as in expecting others to pick up your slack - not fine.

loveka Sun 04-Mar-18 14:19:01

When I'm not at work I am very lazy indeed.

I think it's fine, but I do feel guilty. I also frustrate myself when I can't be bothered to eg hoover! I feel I waste a lot of time being lazy.

I have always been like this, and my mum was exacly the same.

MerryShitmas Sun 04-Mar-18 14:20:40

mynameisLuca
How am I being offensive?
To me that's the difference between a lazy person, and someone having a lazy day/afternoon or whatever.
Anyway, glad you're offended. grin

expatinscotland Sun 04-Mar-18 14:20:52

YANBU. Fucking Puritan, shame-based stupidity is over-rated.

mynameisLuca Sun 04-Mar-18 14:21:09

Read your post back. Your intent was to be offensive, so why not stand by it?

crunchymint Sun 04-Mar-18 14:22:20

merryshitmas All my close friends have immaculate houses and gardens, so yes I do feel like a slattern in comparison. They grow vegetables as well and exchange tips. I cba. The supermarket sells perfectly fine vegetables.

crunchymint Sun 04-Mar-18 14:23:56

battenburg I didn't know that grin

Bluntness100 Sun 04-Mar-18 14:24:28

There is a mid ground between being lazy and being busy, it's not one or the other. Periods of one or the other are fine, consistently one or the other isn't great for anyone's mental health really.

I don't think being fundamentally a lazy person is something to be admired really.

Talith Sun 04-Mar-18 14:24:43

I just spent my child-free snowed in weekend in bed watching Call the Midwife eating takeaway and drinking wine. I'm normally running around like a blue-arsed fly. There's definitely a time and a place for it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: