Talk

Advanced search

To think if you can't cope with a husky you can't cope with a border collie?

(109 Posts)
BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sun 25-Feb-18 18:07:33

A neighbour did the right thing and rehomed their beautiful husky a few months ago as they couldn't commit to the amount time it takes to properly care for it. Today they proudly showed off to us all their new border collie puppy. It's beautiful but really?! Out of all the dogs you could get...

Aibu to not be impressed and hoick up my judgy pants here?

villainousbroodmare Sun 25-Feb-18 18:10:11

Don't think they'll manage it either. sad

Trinity66 Sun 25-Feb-18 18:10:31

Idiots

Aprilshowerswontbelong Sun 25-Feb-18 18:10:47

Quite a step down but a puppy of any breed is a handful (husky owner +other breeds!).

DullAndOld Sun 25-Feb-18 18:12:13

hm is a border collie like a Welsh sheep dog?
in which case, they are mad, they will never cope. It is not a pet, it is a working dog that needs to be occupied.

KingLooieCatz Sun 25-Feb-18 18:13:24

I'm no dog expert but I used to compare DS with ADHD to a collie puppy, it's not just a physical challenge required to tire him out, there has to be mental challenge as well. I suspect a bored collie will wreak havoc, they're very bright dogs.

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 18:13:27

Collies are nuts! Lovely dogs but absolutely bonkers - a bit like dear old Alice in vicar of Dibley. They probably need as much exercise as a husky.

Faze84 Sun 25-Feb-18 18:14:11

Ffs. This fucks me off. Some People haven't got the faintest idea how to look after dogs.

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 18:15:40

I’m sure it’s a beautiful pup but blimey, I hope they are very fit and active - and live on a farm!

There are a couple near us and I love to watch them herding tourists the park (and other dogs). They can’t help it - the seem unable to stay still.

Whoknowswhocares Sun 25-Feb-18 18:21:03

It's a rare collie that copes in a pet dog scenario without lots of physical exercise and even more importantly, mental stimulation. Absolutely as hard as huskies to live with in their own way.
They need a job or become neurotic, destructive and, through no fault of their own, a bloody nuisance
Your neighbours are irresponsible idiots who have clearly done no research. Another poor puppy destined for rehoming once it's past the cute and fluffy stage I'm afraid

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 18:22:18

My sister has a farm and would love collies but knows that they just wouldn’t get he exercise and stimulation they need! They went for less high maintenance/crazy dogs.

Grimmfebruary Sun 25-Feb-18 18:22:26

We have a collie and he’s an absolutely handful. I hope they have loads of time and patience because they’re hard work and can be fairly destructive if bored.

ThymeLord Sun 25-Feb-18 18:23:57

They are fucking idiots. I hope they make a hefty donation to the rescue they dump the puppy on in 6 months time.

LoislovesStewie Sun 25-Feb-18 18:27:04

They are certainly very active dogs, I think it is a very silly choice. There are dogs that don't need a huge amount of exercise; I can think of much better choices. Just hope the dog refrains from destroying the house from boredom.

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 18:27:56

They are beautiful though but a lap dog would be better really.

callmekitten Sun 25-Feb-18 18:32:15

They won't be able to cope with this one either. As others have said, they are working dogs and need a "job" to be their healthiest and happiest. Your neighbors need to research a dog that will be more laid back and whoose needs they can meet rather than choose one just becaus ethey like the looks of it. Or maybe just not keep a dog.

OhWotIsItThisTime Sun 25-Feb-18 18:48:22

Ffs, why would you do this? Before we got a dog, I researched for about a year. I borrowed a dog, too, to see what it would entail.

We got a small dog. He’s gorgeous, walked three times a day, played with, brain games, etc. And I still worry it’s not enough.

Border collie - bred to work, think, do stuff. How on earth will it be happy in a family home?

megletthesecond Sun 25-Feb-18 18:51:33

Yanbu. I've never had a dog and even I know collies need to be exercised and challenged.

WineAndTiramisu Sun 25-Feb-18 18:53:02

Wow, I'd consider border collies harder to keep than huskies (long time multiple huskies owner!).I certainly couldn't manage one, they all seem to get a bit neurotic...

PinkyBlunder Sun 25-Feb-18 18:55:46

My Heinz57 has a lot of collie in her and there’s been times I’ve wondered WTF Ive done...

YANBU. They deserve a facepalm.

GreatDuckCookery Sun 25-Feb-18 18:55:56

This is depressing. No doubt the collie will be up for rehoming in a few months too. Then they will probably get something more manageable and who knows if they'll be able to cope with that too.

Aeroflotgirl Sun 25-Feb-18 18:59:20

Can't stand people like this, they have just rehomed a dog a few moths ago As they coukd not look after it, and now they have got another quite hard dog. That one will be next to be rehomed.

LakieLady Sun 25-Feb-18 19:03:38

I sometimes think that people should have to pass some kind of exam before they're allowed to get a dog.

BCs are fantastic dogs - in the right hands. They need to work; not necessarily work sheep, but do something to keep their brains busy like agility. When they don't get stimulation and exercise, they're a nightmare.

gillybeanz Sun 25-Feb-18 19:04:33

We had a pure breed collie, it was ridiculous.
Our kids were little and when they went to play out were back in within minutes.
This was closely followed by he dog, who had rounded them up and brought them back in.
She didn't bite but sort of snapped at their legs as that was doing her job.
Ds2 was potty training and the puppy was being trained to go outside.
I didn't know whose nose to rub in which puddle.
The dog went to our lovely neighbours, we lived in country so dc were able to go onto their land to play with her, take her for walks etc.
They are very active, need lots of space and are most at home in the country, doing their job grin

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Sun 25-Feb-18 19:08:31

I'm glad to see I'm not being unnecessarily judgemental on this then. I'm disgusted that this poor dog is likely to end up neglected due to ignorance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: