Advanced search

HELP urgently before I kill everyone.

(16 Posts)
Peanutbutterjelly1 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:37:46

Had a large beef joint in my freezer sincr new year as i was ill. Taken it to friends today for roast. I took it.out yesterday to defrost it was still frozen half a hour ago so i plunged it in got water and now the colour has done all Gray like it's started to cook.... It's in the oven now.. I've tactfully requested sausages instead because i handled the meat and i cant stick the smell of raw meat. Is this safe? Should we just adandon and go carvery? Sorry I know it's not a aibu
But it's pretty urgent I dont have a clue about thawing meat Google sais it was okay.

Peanutbutterjelly1 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:39:07

Sorry about typos im panicking!

UpstartCrow Sun 25-Feb-18 14:40:04

Its probably started to cook if you used hot water, because you are supposed to used cold water and change it every half hour.
As its beef it should be fine. Do you have a meat thermometer?

Peanutbutterjelly1 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:42:10

Meat thermometer? Nope I have a normal digital one fron boots that I use for the baby can i use that if I wash it or do I need a proper one? Sorry to sound so thick but im usually okay at cooking not great with raw meat though.

Peanutbutterjelly1 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:43:01

I was doing the cold water but it wasn't working the middle was still frozen I know this because i cut it in half in an attempt to thaw it quicker.

TSSDNCOP Sun 25-Feb-18 14:45:30

It will be fine.

Peanutbutterjelly1 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:46:12

Thank god!!

frankchickens Sun 25-Feb-18 14:47:27

It will be fine. I cook a lot of raw meat (and raw veg).

Peanutbutterjelly1 Sun 25-Feb-18 14:48:51

I'm only so worried as we have dc eating it as well i wouldn't forgive myself.

Stinkbomb Sun 25-Feb-18 14:49:32

It will be fine - different if it were poultry or pork, but beef will be fine.

Mummyoflittledragon Sun 25-Feb-18 14:57:31

Good job it’s beef. Pork and poultry wouldn’t be ok. You’ll have to gauge cooking time though.

Mummyoflittledragon Sun 25-Feb-18 14:58:22

Oh I see stink bomb got there first. Forgot to refresh and was distracted for a few mins.

PercyPigAddict Sun 25-Feb-18 15:18:42

You're feeding it to children but you've requested sausages for yourself just in case? shock grin

Verbena37 Sun 25-Feb-18 15:20:34

If it’s almost defrosted, use a really good knife to saw through it and then finish defrosting the smaller pieces in microwave.

Bluetrews25 Sun 25-Feb-18 15:23:20

You can't use an ordinary thermometer as that will only give you the surface temperature, a meat thermometer has a probe that you insert into the flesh. Don't think your DCs would like that! grin
Seriously, though, yes it went a bit grey as it started to cook, but you carried on cooking in the oven, so it should be fine.

Peanutbutterjelly1 Sun 25-Feb-18 15:31:40

Haha no I'm not that cruel no I requested sausages as once I've handled the raw meat and smelt it it puts me off as soon as i smelt the meat I asked for a sausage instead. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now