Advanced search

eBay WWYD?

(13 Posts)
MatildaTheCat Sun 25-Feb-18 10:31:42

Need some fairly quick opinions please.

I listed a few items on eBay last week. One was a top I’d worn a few times then gone off. Been hanging in the wardrobe a year or more unworn. Nice condition but it’s a second hand jumper.

It attracted a lot of bids and has sold for much more than I’m comfortable with. When the buyer receives it I’m worried they will be disappointed and regret bidding so much. For context it has sold for more than half the amount I paid for it and you could probably buy it new in the sale for not that much more.

WWYD? I’m tempted to contact them and offer them it for half the amount but is that bonkers? They haven’t paid yet.

Ironically the other top was brand new and sold for a quarter of the price. confused

Cakedoesntjudge Sun 25-Feb-18 10:33:39

As long as you were honest about the condition of it in the listing then I don't see the issue, they knew what they were bidding for and wouldn't have bid that amount if they weren't happy to pay it.

Gide Sun 25-Feb-18 10:34:19

As long as you described it honestly, then the buyer knows what they’re getting. If they love it, they’ll pay over the odds, I’ve done it a few times when I really wanted something.

lljkk Sun 25-Feb-18 10:34:29

Just send it! heaven's sake, it's what they want for a price they are willing to pay.

Kpo58 Sun 25-Feb-18 10:34:49

As long as you have described the top accurately, then how much someone bids for it is not your problem.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 25-Feb-18 10:35:13

So long as you were honest about the condition then it's up to them. Some brands go for ridiculous amounts - Mint Velvet for example, I sell a lot of tops that I've worn but go for about 70% of RRP.

MatildaTheCat Sun 25-Feb-18 10:36:44

Holly, it is indeed MV!

PixieCutRegret Sun 25-Feb-18 10:39:41

I brought a baby carrier in the sale and it didn't work out for me. Surprisingly it sold for more than what I paid new! So long as you described it honestly I don't see a problem, something is worth what people are willing to pay.

I can't remember exactly how eBay fees work, but even if you arranged to sell it for the lower price you may be liable for the fees on the full winning bid.

ThatchersCold Sun 25-Feb-18 10:40:36

I sold a jumper of dd’s that I’d originally bought in tk maxx for £9.99, it sold on eBay for £16 plus £3 postage! I was honest that it was wash worn and I was a bit worried they’d get it and then moan as they’d paid so much but didn’t hear anything.

SmashedMug Sun 25-Feb-18 10:42:33

Just send it! People spend money if they want something. I was hunting down a replacement pair of my favourite shoes on eBay and ended up paying more than they would be brand new because they didn't sell them anywhere anymore and I desperately wanted the same pair again. I bet the seller thought I was mad grin

EscapeTheCastle Sun 25-Feb-18 10:45:24

That's the thing with Ebay, you never know what's going to be popular and make you good money. I've had some great sellers recently .

If the buyer hasn't paid yet, they may have changed their mind so hold your horses on making an offer.

tiredbutFuckIt Sun 25-Feb-18 10:45:41

I have done this too...worn once, sold for more than I paid for it. It’s what people are willing to pay isn’t it?
I love an eBay bargain myself, when I sell (especially for a good price) I wrap it in tissue paper and slip in some samples I keep from freebies/magazines like hand cream, maybe do something like that?
I once had a bad feedback on an item like this and gave a partial refund though PayPal to “compensate” —and the item cost nothing so I had nothing to lose really—

QuiltingFlower Sun 25-Feb-18 20:10:29

Don't just shove it in a plastic bag and mail it off. Wrap it up nicely in some new tissue paper, tie up with some ribbon (the more artistic the better) and the purchaser will feel they are receiving gift rather than second hand clothing. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now