Talk

Advanced search

had enough of next doors building work now.

(17 Posts)
whatatod0 Sun 25-Feb-18 10:08:23

I know I have to suck this up. But the (attached) neighbours have been building their extension now for a year. They started up using builders who regularly blocked our cars in the driveway. Now they're doing it themselves which means noise from 8am all weekends. My dh only gets home from work at midnight, including saturdays, so likes (needs) a lie in on a sunday.
Then to cap it all off, they have complained that our Alexa unit is too loud.
There. Moan over.

UpstartCrow Sun 25-Feb-18 10:10:56

they have complained that our Alexa unit is too loud.
The cheeky fuckers!

Believeitornot Sun 25-Feb-18 10:11:59

Then to cap it all off, they have complained that our Alexa unit is too loud

grin😆

Bunbunbunny Sun 25-Feb-18 10:13:50

Check your local council guideline re noisy construction work as there is normally strict guidelines about noise at weekends.

UpstartCrow Sun 25-Feb-18 10:14:47

Ask them which minor sleb they're going to get into cut the ribbon grin

ginorwine Sun 25-Feb-18 10:21:40

We negotiated with ours
No weekend
Stop at teatime in the week
He didn't like it however we thought after 2 summers worth it was reasonable

NoStraightEdges Sun 25-Feb-18 10:23:05

Easily solved. Put Alexa on to play DIY noise really loud and go out.

Fekko Sun 25-Feb-18 10:25:29

I’d ask Alexa to kindly play, loudly [insert music of choice] or Billy Connely playing the banjo on loop and go out for the day.

whatatod0 Sun 25-Feb-18 10:27:16

ginorwine sensible.
noStraightEdges very tempting!!

whoareyoukidding Sun 25-Feb-18 10:34:23

I don't think you should have to 'suck it up'. As someone else has suggested, check out local council regulations.

whatatod0 Sun 25-Feb-18 10:50:02

Am sitting here watching plumes of dust settle on my newly cleaned windows.

MoreCheerfulMonica Sun 25-Feb-18 10:54:26

As we're about to discover too, if they've got planning permission or it falls within permitted development rights, you have to suck up the fact that the extension is being built. But you don't need to suck up unlimited noise at the weekend. Check your local authority's guidelines on working hours and ring their enforcement team if they're making noise outside those hours. If DUT builders can't comply with those hours, that's their problem, not yours.

MoreCheerfulMonica Sun 25-Feb-18 10:54:49

Err, DIY

Meandmy4 Sun 25-Feb-18 10:56:19

Burn it all down grin x
<set alexa to play great balls of fire > wink

newcarsmell Sun 25-Feb-18 12:22:13

8am on a weekend? I don't think you can do building work on a Sunday, well not where I live you can't!

mslevine86 Sun 25-Feb-18 13:02:36

Not being unreasonable in terms of the times they are doing it, our neighbours moved in and completely gutted/redid the whole house. Fine in the week as we both work full time and it wasn't a problem them starting at 8am as normally about to leave by then. But then they stepped it up (trying to move in before xmas) and one Sunday morning, 8am, I was fast asleep and they started drilling on the other side of the bedroom wall. I lost my shit! Threw stuff at the wall and shouted loudly and they immediately stopped until lunchtime 😁 I would have a word and ask that they try and limit the work to reasonable times, it isn't fair to have to listen to the noise 7 days a week.

MyToeHurtsBetty Sun 25-Feb-18 13:12:05

I'd have laughed in their faces about Alexa! 😂🤣😂🤣

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: