Talk

Advanced search

To Feel sad Dd turning 18

(10 Posts)
Elusiveone Sun 25-Feb-18 08:51:05

And im turning 40. Feels like dd has grown so fast from childhood to adulthood. From leaving school to being in her second year at college. Im proud of her and dd is my only child. AIBU feeling like this. Just feels times gone so fast.

MrsJayy Sun 25-Feb-18 08:53:40

I was 40 the year dd turned 18 we are not mid 40s and mid 20s you just wonder where the years go flowers

Elusiveone Sun 25-Feb-18 08:59:45

Exactly time has gone so quick and i often tell my friends with young children make the most of it as time fly's. Maybe im being broody lol

RaininSummer Sun 25-Feb-18 09:01:01

Time certainly flies by. It is lovely having grown up children though.

Elusiveone Sun 25-Feb-18 18:56:02

Thats true and its great seeing them grow up into a adult

popcornpaws Sun 25-Feb-18 19:08:08

Our DD turned 21 last year and is in her final year at uni, yet i remember walking her to school everyday like it was yesterday!
However, i think of it like seasons changing and embrace seeing the woman she has become over the years.

monkeymamma Sun 25-Feb-18 19:23:16

You're not unreasonable at all! My kids are little still and I can't really think what on earth I'll do with myself once they're that age. Sometimes the thought of losing all their snuggles and little-kid gorgeousness is sad to me. But then I think of a friend whose little boy probably won't get chance to grow and progress in the typical way (he's very poorly), and of all the parents who don't get to see their kids grow up, and then realise it's no good feeling sad. In the words of Woody in Toy Story - "we can't stop Andy from growing up, Buzz... but I wouldn't miss it for the world!" <wells up in ridiculous tears>
But you are only 40, there's plenty ahead of you still. You can have another baby if you want! Or start a new career/business etc... what do you plan to do next?

gingerh4ir Sun 25-Feb-18 19:27:08

just be grateful for a child that can truly become an 'adult'.

DD is severely disabled and will need lifelong 24/7 care as she won't be able to look after herself (and I will be doing the caring till I drop). I wish she could go to college, have her own life.

Just look at the bright side! She sounds fab! smile

Elusiveone Mon 26-Feb-18 00:24:40

Ginger i can some what relate to having a disabled child/adult my dd has mobility and physical disabilities and needs alot of care to. Only reason shes at college as shes on a SEN course. She has a mental age much younger than her age now but i can understand what your saying my dd cannot look after herself properly. Ginger your amazing person and being a carer is hard with hardly any time for yourself.

Elusiveone Mon 26-Feb-18 00:27:27

Thanks all for the lovely replies

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: